Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-12-2014, 03:53 PM   #1
Hero of Canton

Default Aslan and Vargr as "the most dangerous prey" for jaded Megalosians

If your suspension of disbelief can handle it, let us suppose that the Banestorm is capable of snatching sufficient numbers of these GURPS Traveller Races from their homeworlds and dropping them unharmed but sans technology within the frontiers of the Empire of Megalos.

What would be their most likely fate?

I could see them becoming arena gladiators, "the most dangerous prey" in the hunting parties of Megalos' jaded aristocracy, maybe even mercenaries.

The Aslan land-hunger and strong code-of-honor would I think make them more likely to survive and even prosper under the right circumstance. The Vargr...not so much.

What say you all?
Old 05-12-2014, 04:19 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Aslan and Vargr as "the most dangerous prey" for jaded Megalosians

I don't see them as being particularly superior (or significantly different to) existing sapient races in Yrth, in any biological sense.

Technologically, they of course would be seen as a serious threat by the Ministry, if any of them came with the skills need to recreate TL11. Other than that, I imagine they are unremarkable.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:27 PM   #3
whswhs

I believe the story you are alluding to is Richard Connell's "The Most Dangerous Game."

Yrth has so many sapient races who are not human, including goblins and halflings and the like who have been baptized or even ordained, that I don't suppose they would view either race as animals. A sufficiently decadent Megalosian aristocrat or bureaucrat who wanted to hunt sapients might conceivably go after either race, but Yrth already has other options who are more than dangerous enough, including the "dangerous game" Connell referred to. Or how about dark elves, who are highly intelligent, implacably hostile to humanity, and likely to be ancient and highly skilled and to know magic?

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:34 PM   #4
Anthony

And if you want to limit yourself to races that look substantially nonhuman, lizardmen are plenty inhuman in appearance (though the True Dragon legion might take offense). My impression is that Megalos is fairly cosmopolitan, so hunting sentients is the sort of thing you'd want to keep quiet.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:43 PM   #5
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
And if you want to limit yourself to races that look substantially nonhuman, lizardmen are plenty inhuman in appearance (though the True Dragon legion might take offense). My impression is that Megalos is fairly cosmopolitan, so hunting sentients is the sort of thing you'd want to keep quiet.
They have slaves and bloodsports. I really don't see much reason to suppose that a "Dog-" or "Lion-" man gladiator would be seen as all that special. Certainly less impressive than a centaur, giant, manticore, or whatever.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:55 PM   #6
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I really don't see much reason to suppose that a "Dog-" or "Lion-" man gladiator would be seen as all that special.
Depending on which spells from Magic you allow, it could easily wind up being taken as totally uninteresting, since it's mostly a cosmetic alteration and you can do that sort of alteration with some pretty basic spells (alter body or illusion disguise).

Actually, there's a perfect sport for jaded Megalosian nobles: cast Shapeshift Other (human or whatever prey animal you like) and then have a perfectly normal hunt. You don't even have to tell your guests that the fox you're hunting used to be a person.

Tags
aslan, banestorm, bloodsports, traveller, vargr