Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-05-2019, 12:18 AM   #1
Gavynn

Default Fated GURPS - From GURPS to Fate to GURPS Again

It has been a little while since I had been playing RPGs and when I got back to it, a lot of people around me were playing Fate, so I was too. There are some things I really like about it, and I appreciate what it is trying to do. A friend of mine is a major advocate of the system, and, as he says, it is not trying to simulate reality, it its trying to similate story telling.

But, to my group, it had some problems. Any time we wanted more crunch, it was just never there. How does a grenade work? Make it up. We want to shoot someone in the leg to disable them. How do you do that? It is at best not clear and at worst not addressed. So, we are migrating back to other things.

But, what I do like about Fate is how quickly I can get someone a character to play. It would be great to be able to do that with GURPS and also import some of the Fate feel.

So, what is an aspect in GURPS?

It seems like most aspects in Fate are hybrid packages of advantages and disadvantage and sometimes skills. They’re not templates, and they’re not quite lenses either. I kind of like the idea of putting together a group of advantages and disadvantages, naming them, and then allowing a player to build a character by pulling together a number of these different character packages.

So you build your character by pulling in a “high concept“ package, a “trouble” package, and then one or two other “background” packages. Or something like that. Of course, those would have to be made for the setting.

What do you think?

I am also generally a fan of the Fate point mechanic, but I also found it to be not as well explained as I feel like it should be. But, I feel like if you wrote up more robust version of them, there be nothing to stop you from directly importing them into a GURPS game. Fate points are not exactly buying successes, though perhaps there is something more similar to them in Impulse Buys, which I have not read yet.

Has anyone tried to incorporate something like them into their GURPS game?
Gavynn is offline   Reply With Quote