Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-05-2016, 02:56 PM   #491
Dalillama

Default Re: [RPM] Post your rituals here

Thunderbolt ward
Spell Effects: Lesser Control X* + Lesser Create Energy.
Inherent Modifiers: Duration + Area effect + Damage (external burning)
Greater Effects: 0

This is a monster, spirit or undead ward that generates a lightning stroke to blast any prohibited entity that tries to pass it.

Typical Casting: Lesser Control X (5) + Lesser Create Energy (6) + Duration, 1 day (7) + Damage , external burning 3d (wall +30%) (6) + Area of Effect (10 yards ) (8). 33 energy (33*1)

* Spirit, Undead, or Body + mind, depending on what you are warding against. The latter case increases the cost to 38.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:27 AM   #492
Incard

Deathless Vigor
Spell Effects: Greater Strengthen Body
Inherent Modifiers: Altered Traits Unkillable 1 (Achilles Heal: Water, Hinderance: Metal).
Greater Effects: 1(x3).

This spell grants the subject the Unkillable advantage with a "Common" Achilles' Heel limitation and a "Common" Hindrance limitation.

Typical Casting: Greater Strengthen Body (3) + Altered Traits, Unkillable 1 (Achilles' Heel: Water, Hindrance: Metal) (13) + Duration 1 hour (3) + Subject Weight 300 lbs. (3). 66 energy (22x3).

This seems pretty handy on it's face, but there is real potential for abuse. Specifically, without having to roll vs. HT or die, a caster could, for the duration of this spell, sacrifice tons of HP (HPx11 -1 ) to fuel other spells.

Last edited by Incard; 02-12-2016 at 10:30 AM. Reason: added Greater Effects line to match spell format.
Incard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:54 AM   #493
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incard View Post
Specifically, without having to roll vs. HT or die, a caster could, for the duration of this spell, sacrifice tons of HP (HPx11 -1 ) to fuel other spells.
This is one of those gray areas for "Magic Enhancing Magic." If I were being moderately generous, anyone under the effects of such a ritual who tries to sacrifice enough HP to get into Death Check territory has to make the relevant checks, and on any failure simply cannot reach that point of sacrifice. So, in the case of your theoretical caster, at HPx2 he'd have to make a Death Check, then again at HPx3, x4, and x5. If he failed the x2, he only sacrifices (HPx2)-1 HP for this spell; if he fails at x3 it's (HPx3)-1, and so forth. The absolute maximum HP he can sacrifice would be (HPx6)-1, as he'd normally die without a check at HPx6. This should probably be the case for any situation where you boost HP or survivability using magic (if you give someone Hard To Kill 3, they need a minimum MoS 3 on each Death Check threshold to keep going).

If I were being somewhat cruel, rituals like this would be ignored when sacrificing HP, meaning any failure above actually kills (or at least causes a Mortal Wound to) the character.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 08:28 AM   #494
ajardoor

If it is just the Unkillable effect that would ordinarily stop you from dying, sacrificing HP for a spell ignores it.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:15 PM   #495
Angle

I've been making a bunch of rituals lately and was hoping to get some feedback. Does this one work?

Augury

Spell Effects: Greater Sense Chance
Inherent Modifiers: Bestows a Bonus (this spells final cast roll)
Greater Effects: 1 (x3)

This spell answers a question. You take penalties as described under Divination, in Thaumatology: Ritual Path Magic, page 24. The answer depends on the margin of success or failure of the final casting roll and the importance of the question. Open ended, poorly defined questions are not recommended.

Typical Casting: Greater Sense Chance (2) + bestows a Bonus: +3 (4) 18 energy (6x3).

It does a couple of things I'm not sure about. The first is applying bestows a bonus to it's own final cast roll (But not its energy gathering rolls.) This is to offset the divination penalty, as I can't think of any other way to do that. The second is skipping out entirely on range, subject weight, etc. Are those important for divinations?
Angle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:28 PM   #496
Dalillama

No, you can't do that; no spells to make you better at magic. . Per RAW, your options are a)improve your skill or b)ask a different question. Ghostdancer suggests here that a Hard technique could buy off penalties.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:31 PM   #497
Clockwork_Virus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angle View Post
It does a couple of things I'm not sure about. The first is applying bestows a bonus to it's own final cast roll (But not its energy gathering rolls.) This is to offset the divination penalty, as I can't think of any other way to do that.
First off, RPM spells cannot improve magic use. This would count as that.

Second, even if that kind of spell was allowed, it would still require one to reverse causality. The spell cannot improve its own casting roll because its effect doesn't come into being until after the casting roll.

Side note, I've seen people use "Bestows a Penalty" in a spell to give a malus for the target to resist that spell, but I'm not sure how kosher that is by RAW.
Quote:
The second is skipping out entirely on range, subject weight, etc. Are those important for divinations?
No, not for these types of Divinations.

It could probably be justified, though, to charge extra energy for range based on the geographical scope of the question, using the long-distance modifiers as usual.
Clockwork_Virus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:43 PM   #498
Angle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork_Virus View Post
Side note, I've seen people use "Bestows a Penalty" in a spell to give a malus for the target to resist that spell, but I'm not sure how kosher that is by RAW.
That's what I based that effect off of. I figured it was basically trading energy for skill, and at a fairly painful rate, at that.
Angle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 05:51 AM   #499
Bazial

Been designing a few rituals lately, and I'd love to hear critique. Still sorta new to throwing together my own rituals.

Memory Transfer
Spell Effects: Lesser Sense Mind x2, Lesser Destroy Mind, Lesser Create Mind
Inherent Modifiers: None.
Greater Effects: 0.

This spell effectively erases a memory or piece of information from one subject’s mind and transfers it to another. When cast, the original owner of the information can recall that he had something stored, and might even be able to remember its context if pressed – but he will be fully unable to recall the exact piece of information.

Typical Casting: Lesser Destroy Mind (5) + Lesser Create Mind (6) + Lesser Sense Mind (2) + Lesser Sense Mind (2) + Duration, 1 Month (11), Range, 3 Yards (1). 27 energy (27x1).

Guardian Door
Spell Effects: Lesser Sense Mind + Lesser Control Magic + Lesser Control Crossroads
Inherent Modifiers: None.
Greater Effects: 0.

This ritual is cast upon a door (be it an obvious or secret one), and makes it so that it will only open when a password specified by the caster is spoken. Otherwise, the door continues to be closed and locked.

Typical Casting: Lesser Sense Mind (2) + Lesser Control Magic (5) + Lesser Control Crossroads (5) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs. (3) + Duration, 1 month (11). 26 energy (26x1).
Bazial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:10 AM   #500
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork_Virus View Post
PK recently posted that this is not kosher.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ghostly movement, magic, ritual path magic, rpm, thaumatology