Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 10-13-2019, 11:33 AM   #21
Chris Rice

Default Re: High XP characters

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
A three attribute system means that each attribute is sufficiently broad so that none of the attributes are dump stats.

Taking ST as a dump stat (which you should always do, of course) limits your character's hit points, ability to resist poisons, and range of their missile spells. (By ITL 135 not ITL 125 of course)
I don't follow you. In your first paragraph you say that none of the attributes are dump stats. In your second, you say you should always take ST as a dump stat.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:45 AM   #22
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
I don't follow you. In your first paragraph you say that none of the attributes are dump stats. In your second, you say you should always take ST as a dump stat.
There are ways of getting around having a low stat.

The least effective stat to dump is IQ. The extra memory points can compensate for lower scores in the other stats. For example taking Acrobatics turns the usual 3/DX roll to dodge or remain standing into a 2/DX roll, which moves DX 12 from a 74% chance of success to 97%.

If a character has low DX then they can get a +5 DX ring to boost their DX up to 14. However this costs $32k, if it can be found at all. Also this doesn't help in picking initial talents.

If a character has low ST then they can wear a Stone Flesh ring (only $4k), drink potions of Healing and Universal Antidote (which seem to have unlimited effect within an hour of starting to dying), and use Mana or Powerstones to cast spells (watch out for the days of recharge time these take).

Hence ST is the most dumpable stat.
Old 10-13-2019, 02:22 PM   #23
larsdangly

That started as a correct and easily understood point and then spun off into I don't know what. But the basic notion, that as you add stats to TFT you increase the possibilities of building characters with dump stats, is obviously correct. Particularly given that the core game has only 3 stats, so each new one you add has to either be separate from the stat-point economy, or has to be constructed with such balanced benefits and penalties that it will have the same value as each of the cannonical 3.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 02:39 PM   #24
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
That started as a correct and easily understood point and then spun off into I don't know what. But the basic notion, that as you add stats to TFT you increase the possibilities of building characters with dump stats, is obviously correct. Particularly given that the core game has only 3 stats, so each new one you add has to either be separate from the stat-point economy, or has to be constructed with such balanced benefits and penalties that it will have the same value as each of the cannonical 3.
I actually don't have a problem with dump stats where the number of attributes is 6 or more, that's actually one of the benefits of the method. Now a Wizard will fuel spells with his Hit Points/Constitution and not with his ST, so they won't look like Conan. Warriors won't need a high Intelligence to know lots of combat Talents because they can buy them with Knowledge, etc. I don't see a problem with that.
Old 10-13-2019, 02:46 PM   #25
hcobb

Quote:
I actually don't have a problem with dump stats where the number of attributes is 6 or more, that's actually one of the benefits of the method. Now a Wizard will fuel spells with his Hit Points/Constitution and not with his ST, so they won't look like Conan. Warriors won't need a high Intelligence to know lots of combat Talents because they can buy them with Knowledge, etc. I don't see a problem with that.
So you agree with Neo-TFT's six stat system? ST, DX, IQ, memory points (500 XP each), boons (500 XP each), and mana (200 XP each).
Old 10-13-2019, 02:50 PM   #26
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
So you agree with Neo-TFT's six stat system? ST, DX, IQ, memory points (500 XP each), boons (500 XP each), and mana (200 XP each).
I can't say I agree with it as I don't know about it and don't use it. What I use derives from the article in the Companion. I used it back in the '80s and I'm using it again now. It's a simple extrapolation of the basic system whereas what you're describing is something totally new.
Old 10-13-2019, 03:23 PM   #27
larsdangly

I guess I hadn't realized that by 6 stats you meant three real stats and three things that keep track of XP expenditures that are already cannonical parts of the game. Assuming Boons are more or less equivalent to minor wishes, then how is that different from RAW? I wouldn't have called something that just keeps account of talent purchases, mana or minor wishes a new stat.
Old 10-13-2019, 03:24 PM   #28
larsdangly

Quote:
I can't say I agree with it as I don't know about it and don't use it. What I use derives from the article in the Companion. I used it back in the '80s and I'm using it again now. It's a simple extrapolation of the basic system whereas what you're describing is something totally new.
Do you mean p. 63 of the companion, or something else?
Old 10-13-2019, 03:59 PM   #29
MikMod

Interesting point of view.

We now have five stats:

STR DEX INT Talents Mana

Which are all improved via experience.
MikMod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 04:11 PM   #30
hcobb

I agree with calling paid for minor wishes boons or some other term to obscure the fact that the TFT PCs are all chaotic evil and hence able to call on demons that the so-called gods of the NPCs are unable to stop.