Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > Forum Feedback and Help

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2019, 05:31 AM   #1
GasMan
Banned

Default Religious Flamebaiting

I'm currently on notice for flame baiting and derailment over elves, which are Germanic cultural and racial things.

I fail to see how speaking the truth about something like that is flamebaiting, if anything, misrepresentation of such things should be the real culprits.

Would it be flamebaiting if a Mormon stepped into a thread about "The Book of Mormon" springboard discussion about how to GURPSify it, to clear up things that musical made up?

Would it be flamebaiting if a Jew stepped into a thread that has a misrepresentation of things like Kapparot or Tashlikh ?

Granted, it doesn't often happen that someone steps in for that, the 'fantasy talk' about elves is a huge deluge vs the real thing, but does that make that much of a difference?
If Tashlikh were commonly seen as "pollution of bodies of water" and the majority of Jews were to believe it and only a handful of them knew what it really was about and they happen to post about it here.
Would they be hit with "an infraction", too? Because it's "derailment and flame baiting" of the wrong commonly held belief?

Probably not something that will happen, but as a thought experiment, I am quite curious.

So, yeah, some clarification would be nice.
Old 09-01-2019, 05:47 AM   #2
GasMan
Banned

Default Re: Religious Flamebaiting

I can't edit posts ... guess it's the "on notice thing", so I have to make a new post for this.

The things I wrote in the roleplaying forum were (and are) roleplayable, by the way. That's why I posted there.

If you want to roleplay an actual elf, you can roleplay an ancient Germanic tribe, with burial mounds and whatnot, doing the whole ancestor reincarnation thing and all the bells and whistles.
(Losing milk teeth at about age 7, where the permanent teeth start to come through, a sign that the ancestor is beginning to now properly manifest in the new vessel, etc).

It was even topical! I even said I'd worldbuild it, but it was flamebait.
Okay, I did compare Christianity to a non palatable form of Huitlacoche in my second post, but that's the only bad I am accepting. Everything else is not only the truth (it's even in modern language, I mean even to THIS day, modernity) but it is also perfectly roleplayable.

I was even humble about it, as I wrote (well, it's deleted), Elves were just a synonym for humans with a spiritual spin and the gods are also roleplayable since they're aspects made flesh. It's just biological birth and continuation of life with a spiritual spin.

Ridiculous decision to even report that.
Old 09-01-2019, 06:04 AM   #3
GasMan
Banned

Last post I will make, honest. I'm sorry for the spam but my thought process lends itself to edits. Usually, and I can't make them right now.

If someone asks how to roleplay southern baptist priests, and someone offers an actual description on how to do it. Infraction? Derailment? Flamebait?

If someone asks how to roleplay orthodox Jews, and someone offers an actual description on how to do it. Infraction? Derailment? Flamebait?

If someone asks how to roleplay a Mormon missionary, and someone offers an actual description on how to do it. Infraction? Derailment? Flamebait?

If someone asks how to roleplay Inuit Angakkuq, and someone offers an actual description on how to do it. Infraction? Derailment? Flamebait?

If someone asks how to roleplay Shinto priests, and someone offers an actual description on how to do it. Infraction? Derailment? Flamebait?

If someone asks how to roleplay Shinto priests, and someone offers an actual description on how to do it. Infraction? Derailment? Flamebait?

If someone asks about how to roleplay elves and how they reproduce and live, and someone offers an actual description on how to do it? Infraction? Derailment? Flamebait?
I know the answer to that last one.
Obviously: Yes.
Old 09-01-2019, 09:06 AM   #4
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

OK, it's pretty clear you aren't going to be a good fit here if this thread is your response to "We don't want to have real-world religious discussions on our forums."

I would have emailed you about it, but you've chosen to use a fictitious email in your profile, so instead you're just banned.

Appeals go to forums@sjgames.com.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Closed Thread