Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-01-2013, 05:56 PM   #91
Irenaeus

Default Re: Gaming Ballistic - GURPS Content Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Quickly: knee bar and four-limb grapple, I was picturing more like this:

http://www.grapplearts.com.php5-22.d...eglock-Bod.jpg

with the guy on the left able (at a significant penalty) to stomp-kick to the head by rolling to the right. Entirely plausible? Maybe not, and allowing a "hands-free parry" either at full skill or at a penalty vs. strikes would represent applying pressure or movement to foil the strike.

I'd also allow the spending of control points to aid a Parry attempt, also representing moving to foil the strike.
Aha. That makes more sense. I got caught up a little in the position needing to match very closely the one they are likely at at the end of the sacrifice throw, but it makes perfect sense that Lerr has been through a significant scramble and pounced on Doka's leg, considering that he has moved from 1 to 6 CP. The kicking is no longer a mystery to me.

Quote:
In a way, I think it's cool that we can have this level of conversation. We're way past "you're grappled, I strike you at -4 DX" in terms of narrative power, which for me is "mission accomplished."
Absolutely. The whole thing is refreshingly non-generic. Technical, even.

Quote:
Slap on Technique Mastery to Ground Fighting, which might allow you to buy your ground game up to Combat Skill+4. So you could buy (for example) Wrestling at DX, but buy Ground Fighting up past "no penalties" and into "active bonus."

Another way to go might be to buy an anti-technique, buying DOWN Force Posture Change, which might be a better way to go. So if you are four points worse at FPC/Takedowns than your Wrestling Skill, that's an anti-technique worth -4 points. If you have Wrestling-14 and Ground Fighting-14 [5] and Force Posture Change-10 [-4] that's descriptive enough.
The first suggestion makes me think I've discarded Technique Mastery prematurely and unfairly as munchkin-y. The second suggestion intrigues me. I'll do a little thinking on that one. It might give too many points, perhaps.

Quote:
I hate that technique, though I've pulled off a few in our Hwa Rang Do grappling.
Kneebars are awesome, though I suffer a little from the traditional BJJers phobia against legocks in general, so I'm slightly ambivalent to them as well.

Quote:
I cheated. I went through the electronic copy of Martial Arts looking for styles with Judo but not Ground Fighting. :-)
My illusions are shattered.
Irenaeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:13 PM   #92
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Anti-techniques in general would be insane cheese at that pricing.
You're right, in retrospect. I was thinking of having it be an anti-version of Technique Mastery, limited to four levels below whatever the usual minimum would be. But yeah, you'd want to halve or quarter that (or something) and only allow a single axis of incompetence. If you're a Judo guy who's bad at both Takedowns AND Locks, (Judo-14, Takedowns-12, Locks-12) then you really need Judo-12, Technique Mastery (Judo Throw) [1], Judo Throw-14.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:08 AM   #93
DouglasCole

Thursday is GURPS-Day, and I step back and reassure everyone that Technical Grappling really is basic GURPS at heart.

'Cause it is.

And much like "regular" GURPS, you can play it simple or deep, and both versions are supported (and will be even more so once the Designer's Notes come out).
Old 10-03-2013, 01:41 PM   #94
Irenaeus

Quote:
Thursday is GURPS-Day, and I step back and reassure everyone that Technical Grappling really is basic GURPS at heart.

'Cause it is.

And much like "regular" GURPS, you can play it simple or deep, and both versions are supported (and will be even more so once the Designer's Notes come out).
That is actually really usefull. I think I'll add some page references to it, and use it as a kind of help sheet index to TG.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:00 PM   #95
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenaeus View Post
That is actually really usefull. I think I'll add some page references to it, and use it as a kind of help sheet index to TG.
If you do, send it to me and I can update the post, or even make a new one. As long as you can't read the post and then NOT buy the book, your suggestion is very useful.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:12 AM   #96
Irenaeus

Quote:
If you do, send it to me and I can update the post, or even make a new one. As long as you can't read the post and then NOT buy the book, your suggestion is very useful.
I'll do that when I get around to it. Work is a little all-consuming right now, so no promises when it comes to ETA.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #97
DouglasCole

A breakdown of the fight scene in Iron Man 2 where Black Widow grapples and strikes her way through a small army of goons, using concepts from my Technical Grappling book.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #98
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
A breakdown of the fight scene in Iron Man 2 where Black Widow grapples and strikes her way through a small army of goons, using concepts from my Technical Grappling book.
Love it. So will my girl. :-)

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:40 AM   #99
DouglasCole

Christian Blouin offered me a spot in his Tolkien-based campaign "Reclaiming Khazad-dum," and it was at the perfect time! So tonight, I play Drolff, who is currently teetering on the edge of a cliff. We shall see!

Also, I have another Interview scheduled. This one's a panel discussion.

Last edited by DouglasCole; 10-08-2013 at 06:03 AM.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:23 AM   #100
DouglasCole

I joined Christian Blouin , Paul Stefko , Arne Jamtgaard , Jason Woollard and Gordon G for a Tolkien-inspired game called "Reclaiming Khazad-dum." Good fun, and my first GURPS on Roll20 experience. This session was named "The Botanical Education of Dwarves."

Tags
blog, blogs, committed aim, dungeon grappling, modern firepower, pass limb