Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 07-18-2016, 03:12 PM   #1261
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Like I wrote, it's probably my social anxiety making this all sound more nefarious that it actually is. "AHHHHH! Unexpected lurking forced social interaction!" is probably not what many others would think.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:05 PM   #1262
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
That would work kind of work if nitrous oxide aka laughing gas actually made one laugh. It doesn't. I had no effect on me other than to make dental work painless. And the doctor talking to me as if he expected my IQ to have halved. Slight sense of disassociation, but that was it. Good try though, especially from comic book authors that often mess up gradeschool science worse than American politicians. ;)
It makes *some* people laugh. Throw in comic book characters getting that 5% chance to work every time all the time, and it's actually closer to reality than pretty much anything else in DC.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:06 PM   #1263
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
It makes *some* people laugh. Throw in comic book characters getting that 5% chance to work every time all the time, and it's actually closer to reality than pretty much anything else in DC.
Like my last sentence said, not possible but less supernatural than nearly all else comic book related. I wasn't insulting it.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:08 PM   #1264
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
That would work kind of work if nitrous oxide aka laughing gas actually made one laugh. It doesn't. I had no effect on me other than to make dental work painless. And the doctor talking to me as if he expected my IQ to have halved. Slight sense of disassociation, but that was it. Good try though, especially from comic book authors that often mess up gradeschool science worse than American politicians. ;)
Laughing gas doesn't _make_ one laugh. But it does induce euphoria in most subjects that frequently reduces the threshold at which you start to find things funny. I mean you have heard of stoner humour right?
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:15 PM   #1265
Johan Larson

You don't have to have nitrous oxide, specifically, for the euphoric effect. Just plain lack of oxygen (hypoxia) causes euphoria in some people.

I used to hang with glider pilots, and some of them signed up for a government (FAA? Air Force?) course in high-altitude flight that included a brief run in a hypobaric chamber. Lots of fun, apparently.

Hypoxia is really insidious; judgement is one of the first things to go.
Johan Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:42 PM   #1266
Johan Larson

Doolan Canyon Regional Preserve. A square one-mile by one-mile area near San Jose, CA, matching no natural features whatsoever.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/San...121.843258,14z
Old 07-18-2016, 10:10 PM   #1267
Irish Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan Larson View Post
Doolan Canyon Regional Preserve. A square one-mile by one-mile area near San Jose, CA, matching no natural features whatsoever.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/San...121.843258,14z
And, so far as I can tell, having nothing in particular to preserve. Seems to be nothing but grass, burrs, and poison oak, with a small pond in the center, used primarily for cattle grazing and rousing the citizens of nearby Dublin against a proposed housing development in the canyon.

If you break the laws of God, you go to Hell.

If you break the laws of Physics, you go to Sweden and receive a Nobel Prize.
Irish Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 05:34 AM   #1268
Johan Larson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Wolf View Post
And, so far as I can tell, having nothing in particular to preserve. Seems to be nothing but grass, burrs, and poison oak, with a small pond in the center, used primarily for cattle grazing and rousing the citizens of nearby Dublin against a proposed housing development in the canyon.
Yup. It seems almost like an act of spite. "The regs say we have to dedicate one square mile to a nature preserve? But there are no other requirements? OK, here's a literal one square mile of scrub-land. Hope you're happy, DC bureaucrats!"
Old 07-19-2016, 12:23 PM   #1269
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Wolf View Post
Sounds like a great place to hide some other weirdness in a game...

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:24 PM   #1270
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Sounds like a great place to hide some other weirdness in a game...
Why is it so sharply defined as a square?

Tags
blueberry muffin, fermi paradox