Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 10-15-2017, 02:48 AM   #1
Blue Ghost

Default Halloween Car Wars

So what would be a good setup for a Halloween themed Car Wars game? A haunted arena? A team of cars cruising through some strange midwest badlands with those twisted trees lining the highway at night? A "Frankenstein" car or tractor-trailer rig that's made up of several different cars?

Brainstorm here :)
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:37 AM   #2
owenmp

Default Re: Halloween Car Wars

ADQ 9/3 has an article discussing ideas for arena events on Halloween.

If you want some supernatural elements in a game, "Full Moon Over Midville" in ADQ 7/4 is recommended. The article "Vampire Cars" in ADQ 9/3 is another supernatural option.

I have wanted to create rules for ultraviolet laser effects on vampires and vampire cars for many years.

A solo event could be one car with limited ammunition against lower-Division cars that are lightly armored and lightly armed that represent zombies. A zombie car enters the arena every few seconds to eventually overwhelm the combatant like actual zombie hordes.

An arena battle in the Morgoth Memorial Arena in Car Wars Arena Book, 1988 Edition, combined with the article "Dodges and Dragons" in ADQ 6/1, the Magic in Car Wars information in several issues of The Space Gamer, Volume 1, and the article "Magic in Car Wars" in ADQ 6/2 could be an event that has a strong Halloween theme.

An idea I have had for over 10 years is evil in the sense of a very tough Car Wars game. I would create a pentagram arena using the version of the five-pointed star with the outer circle. Each of the inner five intersections would have a pressure plate numbered 1 through 5. Each of the outer five intersections would have a pressure plate numbered 6 through 10. I recommend making the infield areas gravel, mud, or hot plastic (simulated lava from the Mons Olympus Arena published in ADQ) instead of having walls that follow the edges of the roadways.

Scenario 1: Each duelist is given a set of cards numbered 1 through 5. Each duelist shuffles the cards face-down, and draws a set of five. The order the cards are drawn are the order the same-numbered pressure plates must be crossed by the duelist's car. The first car to cross all five of the pressure plates in the specified order is the winner of the event.

Scenario 2: The same as above except the cards are numbered 6 through 10.

Scenario 3: The same as Scenario 1, except the cards are numbered 1 through 10.

Scenario 4: The same as Scenario 1, except the cards are numbered 1 through 10, and all 10 cards are drawn. This scenario is truly evil because the number of likely collisions that will occur will be high.

Option 1: Ban dropped weapons.

Option 2: Permit dropped weapons but prohibit dropped weapons being placed on automatic, with only single-shot mode being permitted.

Option 3: Permit dropped weapons in single-shot and automatic modes.

Option 4: If the event does not finish before a specified time or number of game-turns, a demon is released, controlled by the arena management. The demon is a higher-Division car, preferably armed with incendiary weaponry. The demon acts like The Dreadnought in the movie Death Race 1, attacking any duelist within a specified range.

Option 5: Each player keeps the order of pressure points needed to cross a secret.

The Elemental Fury Arena from CWIN 1.06 would be a fun venue for a Car Wars game on Halloween.

CWIN Vol. 1, No. 6
Arena Watch
Elemental Fury Arena
Port Angeles, Washington State
Written by Michael Drennon
http://www.seanet.com/~owenmp/arenas/elemental.html
Twitter: Car Combat Central
https://twitter.com/carcombat

Last edited by owenmp; 10-15-2017 at 12:32 PM.
owenmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 11:54 AM   #3
Blue Ghost

Wow, most interesting. I had no idea.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:31 PM   #4
wolf90

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenmp View Post
ADQ 9/3 has an article discussing ideas for arena events on Halloween.

If you want some supernatural elements in a game, "Full Moon Over Midville" in ADQ 7/4 is recommended. The article "Vampire Cars" in ADQ 9/3 is another supernatural option.
As usual, Michael is not only a source of good information, but offers a variety of options beyond the usual resources.

I was going to recommend the ADQ articles Michael suggested (see here and here), but he has given you so much more. If you have not checked out his website, you are doing yourself a serious disservice if you are any sort of Car Wars fan.

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 10:35 PM   #5
Blue Ghost

Very cool. Thanks.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:04 AM   #6
owenmp

wolf90,

Wow. Thank you for the kind words regarding my Web site that is long overdue for an update.

Thank you for providing Warehouse 23 hyperlinks to the ADQ issues I mentioned. I was too lazy to include them. :o)

I do post car combat information weekly on my Twitter account Car Combat Central.

Twitter - Car Combat Central
@carcombat
Twitter: Car Combat Central
owenmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:26 AM   #7
Blue Ghost

Ichadob Crane and the headless biker ... muahahahahaha >:D

Halloween's never been a big thing for me. Most our CW sessions back in the day took place between Halloween and New Years.

I might get inspired to write up something Halloween themed and post it here.