Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 06-01-2023, 06:24 AM   #21
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy Non-Lawsuit Historical Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Contest of Skill - Public Speaking vs. Public Speaking. Each side gets to bring character witnesses - people who swear that their guy is in the right. Use the SSRT to determine bonus from character witnesses. Something like that?
Probably a more involved system with steps if you are going to do a whole St. Ives as Perry Mason campaign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ţorkell View Post
The ones here tended to involve spirited arguments featuring axes.
Well yeah, which is why I immediately thought that particular historical lawsuit book might be pretty cool.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 06-01-2023 at 06:28 AM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 03:07 PM   #22
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Probably a more involved system with steps if you are going to do a whole St. Ives as Perry Mason campaign.

Well yeah, which is why I immediately thought that particular historical lawsuit book might be pretty cool.
I think we already have that - Nordlond.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 03:12 PM   #23
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Amusingly enough, my Neveri horse archers were based on the nomadic peoples in and around Turkey, and to the east. I hired a Turkish artist. And the initial sketch I got back was a tall English looking woman trying to shoot a longbow from a modern racehorse*. It's hard to do right period. :-)

*We fixed it.
As long as we're talking religion in games, I'm curious as to why you used the Norse names for the gods in the D&D version of Hall of Judgment (Tyr) but filed off the serial numbers for the DF version and Hand of Asgard.

Old 06-03-2023, 06:34 PM   #24
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
As long as we're talking religion in games, I'm curious as to why you used the Norse names for the gods in the D&D version of Hall of Judgment (Tyr) but filed off the serial numbers for the DF version and Hand of Asgard.

The Dungeon Fantasy RPG is “generic.” The various domains fit well into almost any pantheon. I wanted it useful to the maximum number of folks.

I don’t think it takes much to realize the Allfather is Odin, the warden is Heimdall, and Skadi is the snow queen. But as archetypes I was hoping more would find it usable.

I do my best to try and make as much of the work portable as possible for those who have no interest in Vikings or Norse mythology. Having a firm setting allows me to hang a lot of lore on what we do, but I understand it’s not everyone’s bag.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 06:46 PM   #25
corwyn

Fair enough, Douglas. I find the Norse names add flavour but it was easy enough unfiling the serial numbers.

Old 06-03-2023, 07:29 PM   #26
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
Fair enough, Douglas. I find the Norse names add flavour but it was easy enough unfiling the serial numbers.
Yeah. GURPS is a mixed bag with respect to fans. Enough that after an initial surge of interest because “yay 3PP!” I’m legit having trouble earning enough backers to fund projects.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 11:07 AM   #27
Dalin

Quote:
Yeah. GURPS is a mixed bag with respect to fans. Enough that after an initial surge of interest because “yay 3PP!” I’m legit having trouble earning enough backers to fund projects.
This is so demoralizing. Based on what I see on the GURPS discord and other online fora, GURPS seems to be growing in popularity. Anyone who buys your work can attest to its quality. Art! Real art! Nordlondr Folk, Hand of Asgard, and Delvers to Grow are, as far as I'm concerned, core DFRPG books. And, of course, Fantastic Dungeon Grappling is actually included in the DFRPG boxed set.

I remain hopeful that the market will shift in your favor.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 12:21 PM   #28
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
Anyone who buys your work can attest to its quality. Art! Real art!
And a somewhat less cluttered layout. And a large body of setting/adventure content to play in. GB is putting out products and styles of product which GURPS needs, and it's disappointing that they're not selling as well as they deserve.

TL;DR: BUY DOUG'S STUFF.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 05:52 PM   #29
mburr0003

Quote:
It might be more the content than anything else? Like how did Crypt of Krysuvik do compared to the last few Kickstarters?

I'll admit I only backed the Bestiary, the Bestiary Expansions, and the Artifacts and Legends because I'm backing you. Not because I expect to ever use those books...

I tend to make my own monsters and magic before I ever start looking elsewhere for inspiration or to use them in a campaign. But I want to see GB hold fast in the market and not dry up and blow away.
mburr0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 06:15 PM   #30
sjmdw45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburr0003 View Post
It might be more the content than anything else? Like how did Crypt of Krysuvik do compared to the last few Kickstarters?
It doesn't seem hard to imagine that GURPS could be growing without having much impact on Kickstarters. Kickstarter is not a natural fit for the buy-on-demand retail market and especially not for a newcomer to a game system (as opposed to simply buying on DriveThroughRPG or Amazon).

I will confess that the ONLY things I have ever backed on Kickstarter are Nordlond stuff, and that figuring out how do so (and what I was buying and when it would arrive) was a significant learning curve and something I did only because of forums posts here on Pyramid--which I was only familiar with because of my previous GURPS experience back in the day.

It's not a stretch at all for me to imagine that the timelag between someone picking up DFRPG or GURPS and deciding to buy stuff through Kickstarter could easily be 1-5 years.

It would be interesting to know whether SJG print-on-demand Amazon titles have seen an uptick recently though. As Dalin said, there's a lot of DFRPG newcomers on the Discord server lately.

Last edited by sjmdw45; 06-04-2023 at 06:33 PM.
sjmdw45 is offline   Reply With Quote