Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-15-2018, 05:09 AM   #1
guymc

Default TFT Limited Publishing Agreement coming!

Quote:
The Fantasy Trip To Open To Creators in 2019 Via Limited Publishing License

In 2019, the world of Cidri, the official setting for Steve Jackson's The Fantasy Trip roleplaying game, expands as everyone is invited to contribute adventures (solo and game mastered), area writeup and history, monsters, characters, treasure, and more to the game.

In celebration and support of the return of The Fantasy Trip, Steve Jackson Games will release a limited publishing agreement for the game in 2019.

Under the terms of the license, writers and illustrators will be able to create original PDFs for sale on Warehouse 23, the Steve Jackson Games web store, and earn royalties for the sale of those works. All PDFs offered for sale under this agreement will have the right to use the world of Cidri and the TFT game mechanics, all under an official "Compatible with The Fantasy Trip" logo.

The limited publishing license will provide fans of The Fantasy Trip with more support than Steve Jackson Games alone can manage, as well as offering creators an opportunity to showcase their talents and transform their ideas into official PDFs.

Please watch thefantasytrip.game for more information on the upcoming TFT Limited Publishing Agreement.
I am so pleased that SJ Games can announce this now. Details to come, but I am so happy that the creative folks out there that I have been hearing from constantly since the original TFT announcement was made will have a chance to share that creativity with everyone else.

This should leave no doubt in anyone's mind that TFT is not just a nostalgia project. It is here to stay and grow. Those of you who have stayed with TFT over the years should feel a huge measure of pride, as should all of you who have backed this Kickstarter.

I look forward to seeing what the TFT community can produce. There are endless possibilities. I hope you all are as excited as I am!
Old 08-15-2018, 05:31 AM   #2
Chris Rice

Default Re: TFT Limited Publishing Agreement coming!

This is very exciting news! I can't wait to see the license; it might even prompt me to pull my finger out and design something.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:52 AM   #3
Shadekeep

Quite thrilled about this! I've had some ideas in this direction already, so it's wonderful that there will be an official mechanism to direct efforts through!

As a side note, I do hope there will also be a degree of gatekeeping, to ensure quality and compliance. I imagine there will have to be, in part to indemnify themselves, and in greater part to guarantee that TFT remains a high-quality system.

Kudos to SJG for taking this step!
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:57 AM   #4
Terquem

This looks like it will inspire so many people to be creative and expand on The Fantasy Trip "realm"

I wish everyone who does so, good luck.

I will not be creating any new material but I look forward to seeing what others create.
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:39 AM   #5
The Wyzard

I think the million dollar question (or, really, twenty dollar question) is to what extent the writers retain rights to their own work, apart from the TFT name and logo, Cidri, etc.

That is, if I publish through W23, can I also publish the same module converted to (for example) Labyrinth Lord using DTRPG, so long as it has no TFT-specific content?

Or is this more like work-for-hire?

[I am not an IP lawyer and I'm little better than a layperson in this field. I'm sure some people who are will have comments on whatever arrangement SJGames ultimately offers.]
The Wyzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:53 AM   #6
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
Quite thrilled about this! I've had some ideas in this direction already, so it's wonderful that there will be an official mechanism to direct efforts through!

As a side note, I do hope there will also be a degree of gatekeeping, to ensure quality and compliance. I imagine there will have to be, in part to indemnify themselves, and in greater part to guarantee that TFT remains a high-quality system.

Kudos to SJG for taking this step!
From Phil's post, quoted below, it looks like they'll definitely be concerned about legal compliance but as far as content, I haven't seen anything definitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
We will not handle the editing/production of any titles released under this license. The creators are responsible for their work.

If someone produces material that does not follow the written agreement, the PDF will not be published and their signed agreement will be terminated.

We will have more info when the license is released.
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:01 AM   #7
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terquem View Post
This looks like it will inspire so many people to be creative and expand on The Fantasy Trip "realm"

I wish everyone who does so, good luck.

I will not be creating any new material but I look forward to seeing what others create.
Looks like Warehouse 23 does have books, so In The Labyrinth fiction would be a possibility.

I think ITL fiction would be a great source of inspiration for GMs. I have certainly found some good nuggets in your story so far -- I like the three characters a lot and the idea of a labyrinth under the city is cool. It's been so long since I've played TFT, it's nice to see other peoples' takes on it.
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:30 AM   #8
Anomylous

Please, do gatekeep aggressively! Better to have less, but high-quality, content than reams of mostly-crap. I'd like to contribute, but I'd rather have my contribution rejected, than see Cidri and TFT become a chaotic, monstrous, self-contradictory mess...or have to deal with players who show up with characters built using obscure and broken rules from some supplement, that make them too overpowered and/or hard to deal with.
Anomylous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 02:27 PM   #9
Shadekeep

Quick question related to this, just for forward planning - is there a good forum/thread on this site in which to solicit playtesters for materials we develop? Also, any thread suited to finding illustrators and document designers might be useful for creators, if such exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
From Phil's post, quoted below, it looks like they'll definitely be concerned about legal compliance but as far as content, I haven't seen anything definitive.
Thanks for the info!
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:01 AM   #10
mook

"The limited publishing license will provide fans of The Fantasy Trip with more support than Steve Jackson Games alone can manage."

I may be entirely wrong (we're all just guessing until official word is released), but to me that sounds like there will be "gatekeeping" and oversight only insofar as adherence to the license responsibilities, not for quality. The market will decide by voting with their wallets?
mook is offline   Reply With Quote