Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 01-28-2020, 08:42 PM   #1
cptbutton

Default Ancient subway goes where?

I ran my players into the alien base section of Twilight's Peak. But I had to have an Ancient subway connected to it for reasons.

So of course they go straight down the left side, missing all the interesting bits and into the subway. I was channeling "The City And The Stars" and the tubeways of Tekumel.

First station has the exit blocked because it is the destroyed site that lead them here. Then they try again, but don't get sent back to the origin, but to somewhere else in the network.

Where? I have no idea. Suggestions?

Can't be Lys, because it has to be something hard to notice from orbit.

Underground city? Logan's Run? Droyne city just running for 300,00 years (or stasis fielded)? Rough draft of the Vargr?

I want them to have at least a possibility of combat. And something for the Ace Pilot to do, but don't see how.
Old 01-29-2020, 06:03 PM   #2
dcarson

Default Re: Ancient subway goes where?

Concealed escape ship?
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 06:44 PM   #3
cptbutton

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
Concealed escape ship?
Believe it or not, I've already done that. They were halfway through Mongoose "Secrets Of The Ancients" when I put that plot on hiatus for a few months.

They just became "Friends of the Imperium in the fake identities. Never mind that their real identities are wanted by IN Intelligence.
Old 01-30-2020, 02:27 PM   #4
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptbutton View Post
I want them to have at least a possibility of combat. And something for the Ace Pilot to do, but don't see how.
Collection of Oneill cylinders or similar large habitat structures somewhere deep in interstellar space?
You can put almost anything inside any of them for adventure possibilities, which gives you the option to run a long campaign here if you wanted, or make most of them cold and dead after this long but for this one interesting one over there that happens to be glowing at 300 K..... The pilot can have something to do navigating the transfer pods from the one the subway station is on to whichever one we are going to this adventure, trying to dock by eye since the navigation assistance systems are long out of service.
Old 01-30-2020, 03:54 PM   #5
Agemegos

Coney Island? Westworld? The holodeck?

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 04:16 PM   #6
cptbutton

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Collection of Oneill cylinders or similar large habitat structures somewhere deep in interstellar space?
Just now recalled that pocket universes are canonical in Traveller, so I could do this without postulating non-jumpspace interstellar teleportation.

And would time rates run the same inside as out?
Old 01-30-2020, 07:13 PM   #7
malloyd

Quote:
Just now recalled that pocket universes are canonical in Traveller, so I could do this without postulating non-jumpspace interstellar teleportation.

Unless you have a really strong reason otherwise I'd say it's safest if it does.
Running slower might not be a serious problem (you can after all travel into the future with suspended animation if you really want) but running faster is risky. I suspect a technology for producing volumes of quick time could be at least as disruptive as a modest range (sub-parsec) teleporter.
Old 02-06-2020, 04:10 AM   #8
Michele

Quote:
Then you are all set; in a pocket universe you can also give the pilot something to do, by the way.

Quote:
If they don't, and there's a huge difference, then you'd better think long and hard about all the ramifications (read complications). What might be interesting and possibly fun is a slight difference, but even that may drive the party into paradoxes.