Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-28-2018, 11:33 AM   #171
JLV

Default Re: The Fantasy Trip Live on Kickstarter Now!

Yeah. Greece got it way worse than we have thus far! And now it's flooding there on top of everything else. Sheesh, just when you thought it was safe...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 12:32 PM   #172
Skarg

Those are nice traits. I'm not sure about the balance... it seems to me like maybe when using something like these, there should be a trade space that's different from attribute points. Also, that at least a couple of talents would be in that same "Trait" trade space (Acute Hearing certainly, Alertness probably, Sex Appeal probably), and it might make sense if being a Wizard were one of them too. Could also put age, attractiveness, social status, professional position, and attribute limits in such a trade space.

i.e. they're innate traits appropriate during character creation, rather than talents that'd make sense to learn/train during play, and some of them are negative. Not that they shouldn't be tradeable for some starting points.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 01:01 PM   #173
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Those are nice traits. I'm not sure about the balance... it seems to me like maybe when using something like these, there should be a trade space that's different from attribute points. Also, that at least a couple of talents would be in that same "Trait" trade space (Acute Hearing certainly, Alertness probably, Sex Appeal probably), and it might make sense if being a Wizard were one of them too. Could also put age, attractiveness, social status, professional position, and attribute limits in such a trade space.

i.e. they're innate traits appropriate during character creation, rather than talents that'd make sense to learn/train during play, and some of them are negative. Not that they shouldn't be tradeable for some starting points.
I'm not sure this is posted in the right place, but I'll weigh in on the topic anyway...by saying; I suggested this exact same thing months ago; and have even used it in my own personal campaigns in the past, so I can attest it works. The way I did it, I made each Human character eligible to select up to two traits. Those traits were exactly as Skarg enumerates above (including the "Magery" trait, which determined how much XP you used to buy spells versus talents -- and yes, we used an XP purchase system, pretty much the exact same as the one being incorporated into the rules now). Once you picked them, that was it, you could never get any more of them (except, maybe, via WISH), because XP doesn't change your genetics! Other races only got to pick one Trait, because their racial advantages amounted to the equivalent of a trait all by themselves, so they already had one of their two by definition.

Okay, enough of the "...the way MY game goes..." stuff, but I just wanted to say that these rules worked excellently for us for years, so they are not a big stretch for the TFT system...
Old 07-28-2018, 01:07 PM   #174
larsdangly

The idea of 'flaws' is definitely high-risk in TFT because it has such a tight balance among the stats (in combat anyway). Anything that let's you 'cheat' the rules of that balance is going to mess up the game. But I think it is manageable in this format because it just moves you up the stat ladder a bit earlier than you normally would go, but has no effects significantly different from experience points. And, if you have to take these points during character creation, they are equivalent to a small number of EXP (those you would have to accumulate to get you first 1 or 2 or 3 stat points), the the handicap lasts forever. Anyway, I'm not too bothered.

And of course, it is water under the bridge; these things were published decades ago!
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 01:28 PM   #175
Rick_Smith

Default High Temperatures and wild fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
Wow! Sympathies going out to you guys in California. We've been having a few persistent wildfires in the UK over the last month due to unusually dry and hot weather, that's very new to us. In the EU, Greece has been particularly badly hit, with many deaths. Keep safe JLV.
Hi Guys,
Here in BC we have had record temperatures and very dry conditions, and we have had bad wild fires across the province for the last 3 years running. A huge amount of money is being lost because of the destruction of logging land.

Warm regards, Rick
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 02:14 PM   #176
flankspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
Thank you so much for letting us know about the GM Screen!
Old 07-28-2018, 04:34 PM   #177
JLV

Hey Phil, not to be a noodge or anything, but I finally got a chance to read the "Economics in TFT" article, and I note the first footnote (*) doesn't have a corresponding asterisk in the body of the article. (I presume it would go with "Miner", but could very well be wrong...). Sorry to sound all "critiquey" here! ;-)
Old 07-29-2018, 12:47 AM   #178
JLV

Woo Hoo! -- the $137,500 goal is done! Hard-copy Companions in every "I want it all..." box! ;-)
Old 07-29-2018, 05:39 AM   #179
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Hey Phil, not to be a noodge or anything, but I finally got a chance to read the "Economics in TFT" article, and I note the first footnote (*) doesn't have a corresponding asterisk in the body of the article. (I presume it would go with "Miner", but could very well be wrong...). Sorry to sound all "critiquey" here! ;-)
Thanks. Corrected. (I checked against the issue; you're right.)
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 09:17 AM   #180
larsdangly

I too am stoked about the hard copy companion. I don't really use gaming pdfs, so this will make a big difference to me. And who knows what all they will think to include in it by the time it is ready to go off to the printers!
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote