Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-08-2016, 01:26 PM   #1
PK

Default GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 19: Incantation Magic

In arcane matters
It is the bold magician
Who chooses "Other."
— Traditional delver proverb
In case you haven't noticed, we're a bit focused on Dungeon Fantasy at the moment. But while we create and illustrate this beautiful box set aimed at new players, we're just as committed to offering new options for you experienced gamers. And what better way to add a new twist to your game than with a completely different flavor of magic?

GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 19: Incantation Magic introduces a new spellcasting system and the incanters who make use of it. Incantation magic is incredibly powerful and versatile, no more fatiguing than a thought, and allows for the creation of drinkable infusions and potent scripts. This flexibility comes at a cost, however, as incanters must prepare their spells in advance to avoid painfully long casting times. While incantation magic was inspired by Ritual Path magic, authors Christopher R. Rice and Antoni Ten Monrós have leaped far from that springboard, crafting a unique approach to spellcrafting designed from the ground up to fit your dungeon-delving campaign.

For players, this supplement is a wealth of new options, particularly for those who want to wield magic but find static grimoires too restrictive. For the GM, it's a new source of arcane enchantments and magical enemies -- enemies who are terrifying if they know about the approaching heroes long enough in advance to prepare custom spells which target the delvers' weaknesses! With dozens of ready-to-use spells and clear, simple rules for crafting new ones, GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 19: Incantation Magic is the perfect way to add some spiritual spice to your game.

(For the record, you can either buy this from Warehouse 23 now (see link below) or if you're pledging to the Kickstarter you may add $8 to your pledge and acquire this as an add-on, via Backerkit, after the campaign ends. Or if you're backing at the $250+ level, don't worry about it, as this supplement is included! Yes, that's right, "I Want It All" just got bumped to now give you $439 worth of stuff.)

Store Link: http://www.warehouse23.com/products/SJG37-0340
Preview PDF: http://www.warehouse23.com/media/SJG37-0340_preview.pdf

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}

Last edited by PK; 01-05-2017 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Added Kickstarter info
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:34 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 19: Incantation Magic

Congratulations to Kuroshima and Ghostdancer!
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:40 PM   #3
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Congratulations to Kuroshima and Ghostdancer!
Thanks, this marks our graduation to full blown authors ;) It's been a LONG road, and we had to dodge a large OGRE on the way, but we finally got there!
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:44 PM   #4
Kalzazz

Can you give an example of how this differs from RPM and why someone who already has RPM moderately internalized would be interested?
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:49 PM   #5
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Can you give an example of how this differs from RPM and why someone who already has RPM moderately internalized would be interested?
First at all, it's simplified, compared to RPM, with no greater effects and no energy gathering rolls (based on the ideas on Effect Shaping RPM Christopher used on Pyramid). The paths are also quite different, and optimized for the DF world view. Charms as such don't exist, and are replaced by Incantation slots. Think of them as Vancian Magic spell slots ;)

Building the spells is very similar to building RPM spells though, so the experience will make it easy for you to pick it up.
My stuff on e23
Old 09-08-2016, 02:04 PM   #6
PK

The net result is similar to Ghostdancer's "Effect Shaping" variant of RPM from Pyramid #3/66: The Laws of Magic, but adapted significantly to fit Dungeon Fantasy. For example, the concept of Greater and Lesser effects? Out the window. Gone. Unnecessary. Incanters are expected to make the laws of physics cry on a regular basis. :)

Old 09-08-2016, 02:05 PM   #7
Refplace

Quote:
The preview PDF does a good job answering that.
Its Effect based, includes Alchemy (Using duration rather than conditionals), does away with Greater/Lesser effects, and I forget the rest.

Edit: Late to the party.
Congrats to both authors! Looks like a solid book.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 02:08 PM   #8
Kalzazz

Honestly I already think of Charms as Vancian spell slots in physical form, so removing the intervening step is cool

Does it do anything to help with the load out process? That I have found to be the RPM Achilles heel of pain
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 02:13 PM   #9
PK

Quote:
Does it do anything to help with the load out process? That I have found to be the RPM Achilles heel of pain
Not sure what you mean by that, as "loadout" usually means gear/equipment to me. If you mean the process of going from "I know what spell I want" to "I successfully cast the spell," the answer is yes -- in most cases, you'll only make one or two rolls, full stop.

Old 09-08-2016, 02:14 PM   #10
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor

Quote:
Honestly I already think of Charms as Vancian spell slots in physical form, so removing the intervening step is cool

What do you mean, load out process? There is no energy gathering, everything is subsumed into a single roll, a penalty that depends on what spell effects you add.
My stuff on e23

Tags
dungeon fantasy, fantasy