Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 02-25-2023, 06:43 AM   #1
WhiteLily

Default Concussion spell for Bards

Spells P.7 says that the prerequires requirements to learn a spell for Bards remain unchanged.

So can Bards not learn Concussion as it requires Shape Air?
WhiteLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 09:13 AM   #2
sjmdw45

Default Re: Concussion spell for Bards

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLily View Post
Spells P.7 says that the prerequires requirements to learn a spell for Bards remain unchanged.

So can Bards not learn Concussion as it requires Shape Air?
They can learn it (and get Bardic Talent bonuses) if they have some other way to learn Shape Air. For example, elven Bards can learn Shape Air, therefore Concussion.

It goes well with Resist Sound.
sjmdw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 03:33 PM   #3
restlessgriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmdw45 View Post
They can learn it (and get Bardic Talent bonuses) if they have some other way to learn Shape Air. For example, elven Bards can learn Shape Air, therefore Concussion.

It goes well with Resist Sound.
I see Elves and Half-elves get Magery [0] which allows them to learn spells that don't require Magery-1+. So they have access to spells that work for Magery-0 but those spells are listed separately and don't required singing/music to cast. Such spells also don't benefit from the Bardic Talent.

Last edited by restlessgriffin; 02-26-2023 at 03:43 PM.
restlessgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 03:49 PM   #4
sjmdw45

Quote:
Originally Posted by restlessgriffin View Post
I see Elves and Half-elves get Magery [0] which allows them to learn spells that don't require Magery-1+. So they have access to spells that work for Magery-0 but those spells are listed separately and don't required singing/music to cast. Such spells also don't benefit from the Bardic Talent.
Yes. For clarity's sake:

An IQ 14 elven bard with Bardic Talent 3 who invests 1 point (+ prereqs) in both Shape Air (as an elf) and Concussion (as a bard) will have Shape Air-12 and Concussion-15, but must sing to cast Concussion. Not that that's much of a limitation usually.
sjmdw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 09:31 AM   #5
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by restlessgriffin View Post
And nothing breaks if the GM allows bards of other races to purchase Magery 0 for 5 points. It's more of a setting decision than one about game balance.

In addition, it might be fun to modify bardic colleges for different traditions, like Hand of Asgard does for clerics of different gods. Maybe dwarven "earth singers" get spells from the earth college instead of one of the standard bardic colleges.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 04:04 PM   #6
restlessgriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
And nothing breaks if the GM allows bards of other races to purchase Magery 0 for 5 points. It's more of a setting decision than one about game balance.

In addition, it might be fun to modify bardic colleges for different traditions, like Hand of Asgard does for clerics of different gods. Maybe dwarven "earth singers" get spells from the earth college instead of one of the standard bardic colleges.
I'll have to give that some thought. Although, I think once a player has Magery 0, I'd think they'd think why can't I improve magery? For me I think moreso, since I allow "multi-classing". I'm will be encouraging most PCs to go with dual-profession characters. Knights, Wizards, and to a lesser extent Clerics, Holy Warriors and Barbarians I think are fine as single archetype characters. Everyone else I really feel are better off as dual-profession. Scout/Thief, Druid/Martial Artist, Swashbuckler/Thief, Bard/Wizard, Bard/Swashbuckler, etc.

As to different bardic traditions, I'll give that some thought also. One thing I really want to do is "spelldancers". Sort of like Bards but with magic depending on dance rather than singing and music. I especlailly like Spelldancer/Martial Artist or Spelldancer/Sawshbuckler.
restlessgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote