Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 02-09-2023, 07:51 AM   #71
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: #Dungeon23 Megadungeon Challenge

Feb 9 etr

Description: A 2 yard by 2 yard vertical shaft going up 5 yards. Its made of rough masonry, with traces of a green slime sticking to it. A puddle of green goo is at the bottom of the shaft.

Climbing: +0 to climb. If the Goo is somehow cleansed or rendered non-slippery, this becomes +3. Most barriers to touching the goo, like gloves, will give an additional -2 to climb. Falls generally land in the puddle, causing a splash in a 2 yard radius.

The Goo: Light exposure (getting splashed or touching with one hand) means rolling vs HT or taking 2 toxic damage and -1 to vision (so attack rolls are effected) for margin of failure hours. Heavy exposure (like an awkward fall in a puddle) means rolling HT-2 and taking 1d6 toxic damage and -2 to vision. Roll each minute of exposure.

Lighting: -10 (no light)

Exits: A passage leading out at the bottom, and a passage leading out at the top

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 11:06 AM   #72
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Feb 10 etr

Description: An 8 yard by 8 yard circular chamber with a domed ceiling. A pile of rock and rubble 1 yard high and 3 yards across is in the center, shaped like an enormous nest.

Monster: A Void-worm, with eight legs, no eyes, and a head made of Four tentacles with a beak in the center. It has a 50% chance of being at "home". Use the stats for a Slorn, except:
  • Bite damage is 2d large pi, and initiates a grapple with an effective strength of 29.
  • DR raised to 3
  • Add Blind and Sonar
  • No DR 15 vs fire or Temperature Tolerance
  • Breath (a spray of dark energy) deals 2d toxic to living things
  • Can Breath a 4 yard radius cloud of thick black smoke impossible to see through that inflicts coughing on a failed HT roll. Dissipates in 10 seconds.
  • Remove Single-minded and Stubborness
  • Is an Elder Thing
  • On death dissolves into a puddle of black sludge that deals 1d6 toxic on contact.
Entrance: A single open archway.

Treasure: $3000 of void stone (See Feb 7 etr). A silver-covered naganata. ($300, 6 lbs). 3 oz of Spice (clove) ($450, neg wieght), Bronze Armbands with extensive relief of a bear ($900, 3 lbs) with Magic Resistance 2 ($8,000) and a 12 point rechargable reserve ($1,200)

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 02-10-2023, 01:21 PM   #73
Dalin

1/27 — Fireproof Study

Description: Original room where Úri kept any flammable books prior to developing his stone-carved library (1/26 — Úri’s Library). Eight by eight yards square. Tall shelves along the walls with rolling ladders (all metal). Long table in the middle with stone-topped metal stools. The room is enchanted with a permanent Fireproof spell (Spells, p. 30).
Vision: Permanent Glow spell equivalent to torchlight.
Hearing: Normal
Exits: Doorway leading to 1/26 — Úri’s Library.

Treasure
  • Magnifying lens on the table, 4 inch diameter, in a hinged metal stand. While it will magnify tiny print (eliminating -6 in vision penalties), spherical aberration of the lens causes -1 to vision and skill rolls, and prolonged use will cause eye strain (see Defective Vision, GURPS Low Tech, p. 42. [$500, 3 lbs.]
  • The books are heavy (3 pounds at least) but numerous. Left to the GM to define, depending on campaign needs.

Last edited by Dalin; 02-10-2023 at 01:30 PM.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 01:30 PM   #74
Dalin

1/28 — Úri Eldskegg (GCS | PDF)

Úri Eldskegg "Firebeard" (600-point Forgeling Blacksmith and Wrestler)

ST 25 [100]; DX 14 [0]; IQ 10 [20]; HT 14 [0]
Will 12 [0]; Fright Check 14 [0]; Per 10 [0]; Vision 10 [0]; Hearing 8 [-4]; Taste & Smell 8 [-4]; Touch 9 [-2]
Basic Speed 8 [0]; Basic Move 7 [0]

FP 17 [0]; HP 25 / 25 [0]

Reactions: +4 from anyone for whom you do work; -4 from most humanoids

Conditional Modifiers: +3 on all HT rolls to avoid knockdown and stunning; +6 on all IQ rolls to wake up or to recover from surprise or mental stun; +1 to all HT rolls to stay conscious, avoid death, resist disease, resist poison; +3 to HT rolls for crippling; +1 to initiative rolls for your side (+2 if you are the leader); +3 to resist torture

Advantages: Artificer 4 [20]; Combat Reflexes [15]; DR 25 vs. heat/fire only [75]; Enhanced Parry (Unarmed) 3 [15]; Extra Fatigue Points 3 [9]; Fiery [5]; Fit [5]; High Pain Threshold [10]; Increased Strength 5 [50]; Increased Dexterity 4 [80]; Increased Health 4 [40]; Increased Basic Speed 4 [20]; Increased Will 2 [10]; Lifting ST 8 [24]; Luck [15]; No Blood [5]; Pickaxe Penchant 1 [5]; Rapid Healing [5]; Recovery [10]; Resistant to Disease 6 [6]; Resistant to Poison 6 [6]; Temperature Tolerance (Hot) 10 [10]; Tough Skin 5 [15]; Wrestling Master [10]

Disadvantages: Appearance [-16]; Bad Temper [-10]; Bloodlust [-10]; Callous [-5]; Decreased Basic Move 1 [-5]; Decreased Intelligence 1 [-20]; Gluttony [-5]; Greed [-15]; Pyromania [-7]; Stubbornness [-5]; Weakness (1 hp per minute when immersed in water) [-10]

Quirks: Loves eating rare and exotic minerals. [-1]; Minor obsession with tales engraved on metal or stone (that can survive his flames). [-1]; Will always choose to grapple if possible. [-1]; TBD [-1]; TBD [-1]

Skills: Armoury (Body Armor) IQ+6 [8]-16; Armoury (Melee Weapons) IQ+6 [8]-16; Artist (Engraving) IQ+2 [12]-12; Axe/Mace DX+0 [1]-14; Brawling DX+2 [4]-16; Connoisseur (Weapons) IQ+5 [20]-15; Engineer/TL3 (Mining) IQ+2 [1]-12; Fast-Draw (Throwing Axe) DX+1 [1]-15; Forced Entry DX+2 [2]-16; Hidden Lore (Elementals) IQ+0 [2]-10; Immovable Stance DX+0 [4]-14; Judo DX+0 [4]-14; Lifting HT+0 [2]-14; Machinist/TL3 IQ+3 [1]-13; Masonry IQ+4 [1]-14; Merchant IQ+2 [8]-12; Metallurgy/TL3 IQ+2 [12]-12; Parry Missile-Weapons DX-1 [2]-13; Prospecting IQ+2 [4]-12; Push DX+0 [4]-14; Singing HT+0 [1]-14; Smith/TL3 (Iron) IQ+6 [8]-16; Thrown Weapon (Axe/Mace) DX+3 [4]-17; Wrestling DX+6 [24]-20

Equipment: 4 Alchemist's Fire [$100; 1 lb]; 1 Heavy Plate Body Armor [$141750; 6.3 lb]; 1 Heavy Plate Boots [$45150; 2.1 lb]; 1 Heavy Plate Gloves [$12900; 0.6 lb]; 1 Heavy Plate Helmet (Full Face) [$45150; 2.1 lb]; 1 Heavy Plate Leggings [$96750; 4.5 lb]; 1 Heavy Plate Sleeves [$64500; 3 lb]; 4 Throwing Axe [$2400; 4 lb]

Notes: All armor is Dwarven, Fine, and Orichalcum. Body armor is Spiked.Throwing axes are Balanced, Dwarven, Fine, and Orichalcum.

Last edited by Dalin; 02-10-2023 at 02:23 PM.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 05:35 PM   #75
ajardoor

https://tabletoprpg333.home.blog/202...1-throne-room/

FEB 11: Throne Room

The lower door from FEB 6 leads to this area. This room has a 15 yards wide and 15 yards long main area around the corner from the 5 by 5 yard open square where the door comes out to. The area is fully lit by magical continual light spells cast on on the ceiling (-0 Darkness penalty).

This area has fine marble walls, floor and ceiling. It is controlled by the elementals, with High Mana and Nature’s Strength at -2. In the middle of the greater portion of the area is a metal throne with red cushions on raised steps in front of 20 wooden chairs in two rows facing the throne. Two large polished teak wooden tables are arranged at the north of the room for displaying a silver crown on a bust (worth $575, 0.5 lbs.) – the rest of the valuables that were being displayed are nowhere to be found. On the lap of the throne’s seat, someone has placed a Wisdom Potion openly to lure intruders into a trap.

The central throne is trapped by Mystical Runes covering the 7 square yards of floor around the throne. The Runes cast the Rooted Feet-15 spell upon anyone making contact with the covered floor, resist with ST or your feet are stuck in place for (margin of loss) minutes or until you break free. The Rune rearm instantly and automatically when set off. The Runes are subtle, resembling mere engraved decorations at first glance, recognising them requires a roll of Per-based Thaumatology or Per + Magery. A follow-up IQ-based Thaumatology roll reveals what the Runes do. A roll against DX-5 allows walking up to the throne without touching the Runes.

Sitting on the throne does nothing.

On the upper western wall, there’s an unlocked standard door leading directly to another room.
Old 02-13-2023, 10:40 AM   #76
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Feb 13 etr

Description: A 5 by 8 room with six Deeply carved stone murals on the walls, each of a different animal: Wolf, Hare, Bear, Boar, Rat, and Stag. The Stag and the Bear are upside down. The Rat is depicted with a crown, and the Boar, Wolf, and Hare are shown bowing to the rat. At the end of the room is a dias with a lever and a receptacle for something to drop into.

The Dias: When the lever is pulled, a single key drops down into the receptacle from a cornucopia enchantment.

Entrances: a single archway.

Vision: -10 (no light)

Last edited by ericthered; 02-13-2023 at 11:03 AM.
Old 02-15-2023, 10:27 AM   #77
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Feb 15 etr

Description: A 10 yard by 10 yard pool with steep rocky edges dropping two yards down on its edges (climb at +3). Trees surround the pool. The Pool's depths are inky black and its impossible to judge the depth due to the darkness enchantment. The pool is 5 yards deep, has sloped rocky walls, and has a channel coming out of its base. Its fed by a small stream, and has no outlet.

Darkness: The Darkness enchantment is attached to the rocks at the bottom of the pool: moving the rocks removes the effect, though about 2 tons of rock needs to be moved.

Monsters: An enormous snake lives in the pool. It spends most of its time sleeping, but comes up to the surface every four hours or so for air.

Code:
ST 27     HP 27         Speed 7
DX 14     Will 11        Move 4
IQ 4      Per 10        Water Move 7
HT 12     FP 12         SM +1

Dodge 11    Parry NA    DR 5/3

Bite (14): 3d crushing, -1 to defenses,  
Constriction: Aggainst a grappled foe, make a quick contest of ST (27) against the higher of their ST or HT. Deal crushing damage equal to the margin of sucess. 

Traits: Amphibious, Doesn't Breath (breath holding 4 hours), Vermiform, Wild Animal, Vibration Sense

Class: Giant Animal
Rumors: This Pool is known to town: it is said to be impossibly deep, contain a monster, and lead to an underwater cave complex. The general advice is to stay away!

Treasure: $736 in coins, mostly copper. 10 lbs total. Spread out across the bottom of the pool.

Exits: An underwater passage leads out of the pool

Old 02-15-2023, 10:55 AM   #78
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

And the first floor of the dungeon is almost done! I sat down and made a map for it. I still need a second entrance off of January 27... But maybe this is level 2, and I can stick an easier level up top, or it has a portal that leads to another dungeon, or something.

For a wandering monster table, use the following:

1-3: Demon from Between the stars (Feb 7)
4: Room Jan 31 (Yes its a wandering monster)
5: Void Wyrm (Feb 10)
6: A Pudding

I'm noticing a few trends:
  • There are a lot of elder things in here
  • This dungeon seems to be designed as some sort of test
  • I need to figure out what the animal motif is and what it means
  • This dungeon has a strong connection to a wizard named Polriket and his foes. Polriket probably built the dungeon, no doubt for some nefarious purpose. I'm torn if his enemies found in the dungeon should all be connected into adventuring parties or not.
I feel like this is the draft of a dungeon, and I could stand to go back and tweak some things. I'm also getting the urge to run a group of PC's through to see what's too hard and what's too easy... which is a good thing, I suppose! I look at it and think "This is a grueling delve", but most my DF experience is at 125 points: 250 points is a very different game!

Old 02-15-2023, 08:15 PM   #79
Tom H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
And the first floor of the dungeon is almost done! I sat down and made a map for it.
It looks cool. What program did you use to draw it?
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 08:26 AM   #80
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
It looks cool. What program did you use to draw it?
Thanks!

I used Inkscape. Its a free vector graphics program. I like it because I can move objects around freely, edit lines after the fact, and set exact heights and widths. Its a pretty generic graphic design program though.

Tags
#dungeon23, challenge, megadungeon