Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-26-2021, 05:24 PM   #11
b-dog

Default Re: GURPS Magical Styles: Horror Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Noted. That said, the results had a lot to do with page count. Hitting the price point meant hitting the page count, and hitting the page count meant hard decisions about what to include and what not to include. My original thoughts were more along the lines of "like GURPS Magical Styles: Dungeon Magic, but with sample characters instead of templates," but that would've meant the next price point.
Is there a way to write a cult as a monster for dungeon fantasy? Maybe there are stats for each of the members of the cult with some weapons and magic items and clerical items? It would be a sample cult with ideas for how to play it.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 05:33 PM   #12
Hyrneson

THIS IS AN EXCELLENT BOOK!!!

Kromm delivers and then more.
IMO, the much maligned 'standard' GURPS magic system needs more support not less and not more alternatives. GURPS Magical Styles: Horror Magic shows that the standard system and derivatives is not only viable but also versatile.

<SOAPBOX TIME>
IMO, too many lazy GMs want an out of the box, ready to roll, SUPERS magic system that doesn't require thought about integration with or support a ROLE PLAYING campaign. If your campaign is a Fantasy Supers or Dungeon Crawl and that works for you, then great! Play the game you like. But Magical Styles drives the point home made in Thaumatology that a campaign that focuses on role playing is not well served by just handing a player the MAGIC book and telling them to choose any spells they want.
<SOAPBOX END>

I am excitedly looking forward to seeing in the Forums some of the new styles inspired by MS; Horror Magic and even some GMS: Horror Magic inspired magic items.
GMS:HS is an excellent book and shows that KROMM is a great designed and powerful writer.

Other works that may go well with GMS;HM are;
Pyramid 43 – Cultists of the Elder Gods
http://www.warehouse23.com/products/...aumatology-iii

Pyramid 91 – Dark Alchemy by David Pulver
http://www.warehouse23.com/products/...haumatology-iv
And many others.

Last edited by Hyrneson; 02-26-2021 at 06:41 PM.
Hyrneson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 05:45 PM   #13
Hyrneson

Quote:
Noted. That said, the results had a lot to do with page count. Hitting the price point meant hitting the page count, and hitting the page count meant hard decisions about what to include and what not to include. My original thoughts were more along the lines of "like GURPS Magical Styles: Dungeon Magic, but with sample characters instead of templates," but that would've meant the next price point.
There is a lot of alternate GURPS getting developed and written for. Dungeon Fantasy, Sorcery, an alternate Ritual Path system, and on and on. I like GURPS. I understand that everyone likes their favorite flavor but when it comes time to make choices for things like page count, please note that for books like GMS: Horror Magic and GMS: Dungeon Magic I will gladly had over the extra cash for more content. I understand that what makes money gets support but if we can only get a few 'core' based books then I'd happily pay for more pages for the amount of content offered.
That is especially true when you have more really solid authors like yourself.
Old 02-26-2021, 05:49 PM   #14
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

I'm just glad people like it.

In the interest of full disclosure: While I respect the work that went into Ritual Path magic, Sorcery, and other such systems – and the people who did the work – those systems fall very far from my own personal tastes. That's largely because "I can work magic!" already creates a mini-game, and "We have to define the magic I can work!" puts a mini-game within the mini-game. As a player, I find it too much to worry about when creating and playing my character. As the GM, I find I have to make too many extra judgment calls.

Standard, GURPS Magic-style spell-magic is just about a perfect match . . . I just find it a little colorless (which is why I made up styles with backgrounds and gave them perks that change how they work magic), and I'm not fond of the standard prerequisite system (which is why all my styles in Dungeon Magic and Horror Magic mix things up in that regard).
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 06:37 PM   #15
ham2anv

This one was a wonderful surprise today, and I'm glad I picked it up. Forgotten Wisdom is probably going to show up if I ever get around to running my Caithness Civil War campaign.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:04 PM   #16
Tyneras

I'll be picking this up when I have enough in my cart to get rid of shipping fees.

I like the default GURPS Magic system, which might surprise people who've seen me rage about it. It's like having a car you love and depend on, that's constantly in the shop for repairs.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:17 PM   #17
jmurrell

Quote:
That's largely because "I can work magic!" already creates a mini-game, and "We have to define the magic I can work!" puts a mini-game within the mini-game. As a player, I find it too much to worry about when creating and playing my character. As the GM, I find I have to make too many extra judgment calls.
This is where I'm at as well.
Quote:
Standard, GURPS Magic-style spell-magic is just about a perfect match . . . I just find it a little colorless (which is why I made up styles with backgrounds and gave them perks that change how they work magic), and I'm not fond of the standard prerequisite system (which is why all my styles in Dungeon Magic and Horror Magic mix things up in that regard).
Which is why I grouped the colleges into 9 elements in 3 spheres with a few tweaks.
jmurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 09:28 PM   #18
Michael Thayne

Quote:
I'm just glad people like it.

In the interest of full disclosure: While I respect the work that went into Ritual Path magic, Sorcery, and other such systems – and the people who did the work – those systems fall very far from my own personal tastes. That's largely because "I can work magic!" already creates a mini-game, and "We have to define the magic I can work!" puts a mini-game within the mini-game. As a player, I find it too much to worry about when creating and playing my character. As the GM, I find I have to make too many extra judgment calls.
Man, this isn't wrong but my reaction to it is 80% to wish GURPS Magic had been fully converted to Sorcery. The radically different approach to game balance in standard magic vs. powers isn't a problem for every game, but I do think it's a problem for some games. Especially high-powered and/or modern ones—modern, because for many spells game balance seems to depend on being a stereotypical sword and sorcery world, e.g. Missile Shield granting absolute immunity to missiles is one thing when most people use melee weapons but another matter when guns dominate. While I think this book's approach is promising for some of the genres standard magic hasn't historically done well, I still don't know how you'd use the Magical Styles (TM) approach for, say, a supers game where magic needs to be balanced against a wide range of powers.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 11:38 PM   #19
Say, it isn't that bad!

The offer is accepted, the purchase is made, and the bargain is sealed. Over the invisible waves of knowledge of the modern Ether, has the book been delivered.

All shall proceed as has been foreseen.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=169674

If you don't know why I said something, please ask. Assumptions are the death of courtesy.

Disappointed in the behaviour I have too-often encountered here.
Say, it isn't that bad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 12:17 PM   #20
Taneli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
Man, this isn't wrong but my reaction to it is 80% to wish GURPS Magic had been fully converted to Sorcery. The radically different approach to game balance in standard magic vs. powers isn't a problem for every game, but I do think it's a problem for some games. Especially high-powered and/or modern ones—modern, because for many spells game balance seems to depend on being a stereotypical sword and sorcery world, e.g. Missile Shield granting absolute immunity to missiles is one thing when most people use melee weapons but another matter when guns dominate. While I think this book's approach is promising for some of the genres standard magic hasn't historically done well, I still don't know how you'd use the Magical Styles (TM) approach for, say, a supers game where magic needs to be balanced against a wide range of powers.
So change the spell for your modern game, or introduce elements that can go through the protection.

And point for point, standard magic will give more bang for your character points unless you introduce heavy UB cost for magic.
Taneli is offline   Reply With Quote