Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 05-08-2019, 03:57 PM   #21
KevinJ

Default Re: Explosive gem spell

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
You've used a lot of grenades, haven't you? ;-) (Narrator's Voice: I know you have!)
Qualified Expert 3 times... I know how to noy blow myself to bits.
Old 05-08-2019, 04:12 PM   #22
KevinJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse11h View Post
The spell description RAW states that the gem can be made to go off if disturbed or only if thrown as the maker wishes. It also says that the maker of the explosive gem can handle it safely.

To me, this wording implies that the gem is dangerous, if not fatal, for anyone else to handle, or else inert in the hands of another, so no buying them from a third party, unless you want to have the name "Lefty" or just like to carry gems around.

I think a GM could also argue that putting the gem into a sling or attaching it to an arrow would count as not being handled by the wizard and therefore, either very dangerous to handle or else inert. The same could be claimed for a pouch of them, they're in the pouch, you are not handling them. Very prove to accidental detonation.
I concur with this, for the most part. I would allow the creator to use them as sling ammo, but only if he is using the sling. Putting them on arrows or bolts is just out, unless the gem were fitted to the arrow or bolt and enchanted just before use.

I don't see having several in a pouch as being particularly dangerous, so long as the pouch is on the creator's person. Even putting the pouch on the night stand is inviting disaster, though. They would definitely detonate if stolen or otherwise removed against the creator's wishes. "You really shouldn't touch that." *explosion* "I told you."
Old 05-08-2019, 04:31 PM   #23
hcobb

As long as nobody else spots the "prodd" loophole (ITL 111 - bottom left corner of the page), I won't mention it.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:54 PM   #24
Helborn

Or you can require an order of magnitude increase in gem cost per die of damage, $50 for 1d, $500 for 2d, $5000 for 3d, $50,000 for 4d, etc. Instant max of 3d damage except for those insanely rich Mnoren.