Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Miniatures

Old 01-22-2020, 12:58 AM   #1
Vito413

Default Primer paint

I'm sure that this has been asked before, except I cant find the thread that will answer me.
So here goes I am using vallejo paints on my ogre minitures and I want to know what primer to use.
I have an airbrush so I can use bottled stuff or spray cans.
Thanks
Vito
Vito413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 02:24 AM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Primer paint

Metal or plastic miniatures?
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 11:26 AM   #3
Vito413

The plastic sets that are the current Ogre sets.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:02 PM   #4
Vito413

Any other people have an idea?
Old 01-26-2020, 06:17 AM   #5
Mack_JB

For my money, primer on metal miniatures is more about getting the paint to stick better, and stay stuck longer, just due to the more porous nature (or rougher surfaces) of cast metal minis. Plastic minis don't necessarily need as much prep, as long as you have cleaned the surfaces of any oils left over from the injection molding process.

Personally, I've almost never primed plastic parts of anything, unless I'm trying to ascertain the final product I'm creating from scratch has a smooth enough surface.

Stated as someone who was a professional model builder for industry for over 20 years, and a life long hobbyist modeler with multiple national level awards for same. YMMV.
Mack_JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 05:12 PM   #6
SolemnGolem

I've painted metal and 3d-print-plastic miniatures, and in all cases I've used the Warhammer primer. I'm no Rembrandt but the primer seems to do a decent job of holding the paint.

I've never tried to paint the mould-injected plastic minis.
SolemnGolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 10:07 PM   #7
Vito413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
For my money, primer on metal miniatures is more about getting the paint to stick better, and stay stuck longer, just due to the more porous nature (or rougher surfaces) of cast metal minis. Plastic minis don't necessarily need as much prep, as long as you have cleaned the surfaces of any oils left over from the injection molding process.

Personally, I've almost never primed plastic parts of anything, unless I'm trying to ascertain the final product I'm creating from scratch has a smooth enough surface.

Stated as someone who was a professional model builder for industry for over 20 years, and a life long hobbyist modeler with multiple national level awards for same. YMMV.

Great advice. I will definently clean them well and try to paint them.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:09 PM   #8
Vito413

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolemnGolem View Post
I've painted metal and 3d-print-plastic miniatures, and in all cases I've used the Warhammer primer. I'm no Rembrandt but the primer seems to do a decent job of holding the paint.

I've never tried to paint the mould-injected plastic minis.
I will give the primer you suggest and see the results. Thanks for the advice.
Old 12-21-2021, 05:13 PM   #9
Dr. Fosgate

This week I have started painting my Ogre minis I purchased a few years back.

I am using "Mr. Surfacer 1200", thinned with "Mr. Color Thinner" and sprayed from a Badger 350 airbrush with medium needle.

The "Mr. Surfacer 1200" has a harsh chemical composition. It actually "eats" into the mini a bit and becomes part of it. Once dry, I cannot scrape it off using my fingernail and significant pressure. It does not reduce any detail, and it leaves a micro textured surface which readily accepts other paints.

I have been using it for a few years now on 1/35 scale plastic models with great results.
Dr. Fosgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 10:59 PM   #10
Apollonian

From an airbrush, I recommend Badger's Stynylrez. From a can, I tend to use the Warhammer stuff but that is pure convenience. I've used auto body primer in the past, Duplicolor, and it's worked fine. A lot cheaper, too.
Apollonian is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, primer