Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-26-2009, 05:48 PM   #1
Maz

Default [DF] Difference between Hidden Lore and Occultisme?

As the topic say. Whats the difference between those two skills and when should I use one and when the other?

It seems to me that Hidden Lore is more about knowing specific facts whereas Occultism is about more general knowledge.

So if you got Hidden lore (Demons), you would use it to know about specific Demon names, Demon politics, Demon clans and so on, while Occultism (Demons) would tell you how to recognize a demon and know general demon strengths and weaknesses.

Sort of how Expert (Egypt) would give very specific info about Egypt persons and history. While History (Egypt) would give a much broader general knowledge.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:34 PM   #2
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: [DF] Difference between Hidden Lore and Occultisme?

Hidden lore is hidden. By definition, it's not widely available. It also seems implied that it's actually valid information. Occultism (demons) on the other hand, is a valid real-world skill. It covers the open, 'common' knowledge about demons in occult circles and writings.
Ulzgoroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:37 PM   #3
Gurps Fan

However, Mundane Background disadvantage forbids learning not only Hidden Lore but also Occultism (see p. B144).
Gurps Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:47 PM   #4
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurps Fan
However, Mundane Background disadvantage forbids learning not only Hidden Lore but also Occultism (see p. B144).
Yes, but that's not the contradiction that it might seem. Both of those skills are assumed to have actual application in a DF game (indeed, most games where magic exists), otherwise they would be equivalent to Hobbies.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:49 PM   #5
Stone Dog

Just throwing thoughts out there...

Occultism is what everybody knows/assumes/has heard. It is rumor and superstition and mythology although sometimes those things are real. In settings where the supernatural exists it is broad generalizations. Magic can do such and such a thing, but not these limitations. Faeries don't like iron. Demons recoil when touched with blessed silver. Yadda yadda. You get to know about a lot of stuff and a lot of it is fairly useful.

In DF I'd say that anybody could learn Occultism.

Hidden Lore and Thaumatology are both specific, in depth and concentrated studies of a particular field. Hidden Lore (Demons) will get you a good deal more information than Occultism (Demonology). Not only the names of the Nine Lords of Hell, but details as to their powers and personalities, secrets and conspiracies. However, you get to know nothing about fairies or spirits.

In DF I'd say that only certain templates could learn Hidden Lore or Thaumatology.

I might even say that if you have Occultism (specialty) you could make a default roll for Hidden Lore (same specialty) at a hefty penalty, but if you just had Hidden Lore you wouldn't make a default roll for Occultism at all.
Stone Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:07 PM   #6
transmetahuman

I can't speak for how they're used in DF, so I'll just go off on a tangent. :) I've been thinking about Occultism and Hidden Lore in the context of a secret-magic contemporary fantasy setting... It seems to me that even characters who are in on the big secret won't get a secret decoder ring to determine which of the wildly conflicting bits of real world occultism are true. How would you model the situation where more of their information is coming from reliable sources than most people can get, but there's still uncertainty involved? Where, just because it's a real live wizard telling you what he knows about vampires, doesn't mean he's not getting some of it from half-remembered Buffy reruns.

I see Occultism in the setting as basically giving you the whole (mundane) scholarly range of info: "Well, some folklore about vampires says this, and some says that, and blah blah - but we scholar types don't really believe in any of this". Like GURPS Blood Types, it's a smorgasbord of conflicting stuff. Hidden Lore would be "Well, here's the real scoop". But I want a middle ground, a skill that is more likely to give you the real scoop, but a not-so-good roll might mix it up with false folklore.

Not sure if I'm expressing this well. I'm just envisioning these secret supernaturals being not entirely confident when telling fact from folklore, and wondering how to model it so Hidden Lore can still be useful. Some way to have a roll that might result in 1) You're confident this is true, and it is 2) You're confident this is true, but it's not 3) There's conflicting folklore, and these are some of the common riffs that might be relevant 4) You've got no idea.

Last edited by transmetahuman; 04-26-2009 at 09:15 PM.
transmetahuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:28 PM   #7
Stone Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmetahuman
I see Occultism in the setting as basically giving you the whole (mundane) scholarly range of info: "Well, some folklore about vampires says this, and some says that, and blah blah - but we scholar types don't really believe in any of this". Like GURPS Blood Types, it's a smorgasbord of conflicting stuff. Hidden Lore would be "Well, here's the real scoop". But I want a middle ground, a skill that is more likely to give you the real scoop, but a not-so-good roll might mix it up with false folklore.

More specifically, I'd go into Occultism (vampires) as "Everything you could learn about vampires using mundane resources" and if vampires actually exist it might also let you know what is myth and what is real (with a penalty if you don't have practical experience). Hidden Lore (Vampires) would let you know that there is an ancient order of vampire aristocrats in Paris called La Pavane.

Occultism (Faerie) would let you know all about the Unseelie Court and how to deal with dangerous fae. Hidden Lore (Faerie) would let you know that there is a noble sidhe named Garravin who is waging a secret war of genocide against humanity from the spirit world.

Occultism (Mythos) would let you know that the Necronomicon exists. Hidden Lore (Mythos) means that you have read it.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:56 PM   #8
capnq

Interesting thread. What happens if you add Illuminated to the mix?

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. -- Mark Twain
capnq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:24 PM   #9
Stone Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnq
Interesting thread. What happens if you add Illuminated to the mix?
Then you get to roll your full IQ for Hidden Lore with only spending one point on any given specialty. Illuminated is pretty clear about what it does. Have anything specific in mind?
Old 04-27-2009, 12:41 AM   #10
Mailanka

Hidden Lore is more about specific things: Knowing about Demons, Faeries, Spirits and such. Occultism is more about magic.

"Then what's thaumatology about?"

I got nothin'
Mailanka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, faq, hidden lore, kromm explanation