Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 05-24-2022, 06:37 AM   #31
hcobb

Default Re: Bestiary Pre-Release

When calculating dragonet's new firepower rating I assumed a hero with DX 16 and dual daggers. Wizardly occult zaps are at -8 (as thrown attacks via Special Spells apply as Thrown Spells at ITL 140) to hit the vermin so they need to do tricks like casting fire in their own leather-armored hexes.

Assuming you've got a Vet your dragonet can take 50% more damage in Legacy than in first edition and still live to fly another day. (6 hits reduce to dying at -2, Vet patches to zero, then care or healing potions. In first edition 4 hits kill the beast and it doesn't have the attribute points handy for Revival.)

Last edited by hcobb; 05-24-2022 at 06:42 AM.
hcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 09:13 AM   #32
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
When calculating dragonet's new firepower rating I assumed a hero with DX 16 and dual daggers. Wizardly occult zaps are at -8 (as thrown attacks via Special Spells apply as Thrown Spells at ITL 140) to hit the vermin so they need to do tricks like casting fire in their own leather-armored hexes.
To my knowledge, Thrown spells are not described as suffering a penalty against flying or small targets. The occult zap should only suffer a range penalty. Both of these only make a wizard more effective against dragonets.

[EDIT: Under Special Spells on ITL 140 it reads "If a special method of DX adjustment for the spell is described, use it." The mechanics for making a staff attack are described under the Staff I description, and no range penalty is mentioned there, so it is simplest to leave it at that.]

Last edited by Shostak; 05-24-2022 at 02:32 PM. Reason: clarification
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 09:26 AM   #33
phiwum

I've never applied range to any of the occult zaps. If you do, then an attack at an adjacent figure is at -1 adjDX, which makes it a worse attack for a young wizard. On the other hand, this makes the Staff III and higher zaps a bit more reasonable, with a net +2 adjDX for adjacent figures and +1 adjDX for figures two hexes away.

But (and pardon me for repeating myself) the occult zap is described as an attack, not a spell, so it's not clear to me that the discussion of range for special spells is relevant. You cast the special spell called Staff when you create the item, not when you use it to attack, near as I can figger.

If this weren't the case, then an IQ 13 wizard using Staff I wouldn't even need to point the staff to use the zap (assuming the pointing is a "gesture", which may be up for debate even if we accept the zap is a spell).
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 02:49 PM   #34
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I've never applied range to any of the occult zaps.
I've come to think that this is correct in accordance w/Special spells on ITL 140. A specific attack roll is described under Staff I, as is a bonus to this under Staff III, and no range penalty is mentioned.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 02:02 PM   #35
Wyatt Hensley

Any news on when a link will be available for this?
I know that this is the 'pre-release' chat, but not a bad place to start! ;-)
I only found out that this was going to be a thing ONLY from rummaging around here in the forums (at this time, this thread is 10 pages deep into the forums).

Last edited by Wyatt Hensley; 11-15-2023 at 02:12 PM.
Wyatt Hensley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 02:17 PM   #36
Wyatt Hensley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt Hensley View Post
Any news on when a link will be available for this?
I know that this is the 'pre-release' chat, but not a bad place to start! ;-)
I only found out that this was going to be a thing ONLY from rummaging around here in the forums (at this time, this thread is 10 pages deep into the forums).
I found it!!!

We're all good. now just waiting for that email... :-/
Wyatt Hensley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 07:06 AM   #37
larsdangly

I'm also looking forward to this. I understand that most of the creatures that appear in the Beastiary are present in some abbreviated form in the core book, but stand alone monster books with all the details, plus CARDS (!!!!) really fill a different role at the table. Plus they are expanding some types and adding others, so the final body of critters ('critters of body'?) will feel like a step up. Stacked with the Old School monsters book and the Book of Unlife, I'd say we are just about 'there'.

The only further additions/expansions that I have in the back of my mind are:
1) Give some proper love and attention to Demons. I can't really accept that the two basic, generic demon types are all that hell has to offer us.
2) Get your Giant game on point; the idea that the biggest giant/ogre/troll in the world is a 9-10' tall, 3 hex figure just doesn't sit right.
3) Ditto with dragons; bring us some big boys who can drop a proper MH or so of fire blast area.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 03:06 PM   #38
hcobb

Is now live, and that $80 gets you not just a book, but all of those counters and cards as well.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...stl-miniatures
(Wounder what the "defeated creature" counter sides look like.)
Old 12-01-2023, 10:37 AM   #39
pzmcgwire

So no PDF only Bestiary pledge level available?
pzmcgwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 05:24 PM   #40
Steve Plambeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzmcgwire View Post
So no PDF only Bestiary pledge level available?
Unfortunately it appears so. Probably the PDF will one day be available separately at Warehouse 23, at least I hope so.

Tags
animals, creatures, habitat, monsters, splat book