Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-24-2014, 10:33 AM   #1
Erling

Default Committed Attack as a sort of retreat

A swordsman (armed with Reach 1 broadsword) with Basic Move 7 has less than 1/3 HP left, so his Move is reduced to 4. That gives him 4 movement points with Move and Attack or 2 movement points with AoA (or 2 steps with Committed Attack).

A spearman is standing 2 yards/hexes away from the swordsman, that's enough to hit him with a spear (Reach 2). Spearman takes Wait maneuver with trigger "If swordsman starts moving towards me..." and response "...I'll make Committed Attack (Determined) and make two steps backwards".

Effectively swordsman can never get close enough with AoA or Committed Attack, as spearman will always stay 2 yards/hexes away. The only chance for hitting the spearman is Move and Attack with -4 penalty and 9 skill cap. Is this situation legit? Can Committed Attack be used this way?
Erling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:43 AM   #2
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Default Re: Committed Attack as a sort of retreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erling View Post
Can Committed Attack be used this way?
Basically, can you take the two step option on Committed Attack and use them to move backward?

Sure, why not. I'd allow that and the technique allows attack and fly out, so there isn't much reason why you couldn't just fly out, period.
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:57 AM   #3
Erling

Default Re: Committed Attack as a sort of retreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter V. Dell'Orto View Post
Basically, can you take the two step option on Committed Attack and use them to move backward?
Yeah, basically that's what I wished to know. Wondered if there are any special limitations I could miss while I was reading the book. Thanks :)
Erling is offline   Reply With Quote