Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-01-2010, 11:03 AM   #21
rosignol

Default Re: Relative Bulk for Battle Rifles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubiquitous View Post
And are Battle Rifles made into carbines?
Occasionally. As far as the military is concerned, big firepower in a small package never goes out of style. They aren't always referred to as 'carbines', sometimes it's the 'Para'/'Commando'/'K' model.

In most cases, the result of the experiment is discarded after a short while, as the trigger-pulling types eventually decide that full-auto 7.62x51 coming out of something slightly larger than an MP5 is neat in concept but impractical in real life....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2nnn...eature=related
Old 02-01-2010, 11:20 AM   #22
HANS

Bulk -4* for the MK 14 MOD 0 is a typo; it should say Bulk -5*.

Cheers

HANS
Old 02-01-2010, 12:38 PM   #23
Wicked Lurker

I was just trying to make a note in my book but I seem to be unable to find the Crane MK 14 in High-Tech. Is it in another supplement or did I miss it?

☼Online courses and free stuff on GM-ing☼
Wicked Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:59 PM   #24
Ubiquitous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Lurker View Post
I was just trying to make a note in my book but I seem to be unable to find the Crane MK 14 in High-Tech. Is it in another supplement or did I miss it?
From memory I remember looking for it; should be the very last entry under the Muskets and Rifles section.
Ubiquitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:38 PM   #25
ClayDowling

Why not stick with the tried and true?

The shotguns designed for upland game shooting have short barrels, and if you hunt hard you can find 10 gauge. 12 gauge is thick on the ground. The side by side guns in particular come with short barrels, especially if you get the ones sometimes called Coach Guns.

I have a side by side designed for upland game, and the barrel is very short. That's really great, because for a lot of bird shooting in particular, the brush is thick around you a lot of the time, and the birds are likely to come shooting out from directly under foot (n.b. don't waste your time with a dog--just shoot with a buddy, and one of you stay ready while the other one pees. They can hear a zipper at 50 yards).
Old 02-01-2010, 07:59 PM   #26
Phoenix_Dragon

Quote:
From memory I remember looking for it; should be the very last entry under the Muskets and Rifles section.
No, that's the MK 16 MOD 0, AKA, the FN SCAR-L. The MK 14 MOD 0 EBR is the final variant entry under the Springfield M14 on page 115.

As for the shotgun idea, if we're dealing with such upper-case "Bad Things" that a battle rifle is a good idea, then a shotgun, even with slugs, may not be ideal. At least, if the Bad Things are either tough enough or numerous enough that you might possibly need more than 2-5 shots in an encounter.
Phoenix_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:39 PM   #27
Ubiquitous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix_Dragon View Post
No, that's the MK 16 MOD 0, AKA, the FN SCAR-L. The MK 14 MOD 0 EBR is the final variant entry under the Springfield M14 on page 115.
I should've known that, I'll do better to honor you next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix_Dragon View Post
As for the shotgun idea, if we're dealing with such upper-case "Bad Things" that a battle rifle is a good idea, then a shotgun, even with slugs, may not be ideal. At least, if the Bad Things are either tough enough or numerous enough that you might possibly need more than 2-5 shots in an encounter.
This sums up the necessity pretty well; shotguns in GURPS just don't seem to have the damaging potential Battle Rifles do; armed with pellets your damage, even point blank, isn't going to outright kill any Dark And Terrible Thing and using slugs basically means one shot a second, which will be very effective on a man-on situation but since these things tend to pack around in hordes...

As compared to Spraying Fire (this is most certainly not the right name) on the entire group and hitting maybe once or twice with 7d bullets (I understand most Battle Rifles use 7.62mm) each for some really nice damage.

Also, by and large shotguns seem to have a lack of collapsibility; holding onto that extra Bulk throughout a close-quarter tactical combat encounter could cost someone; a bit nit-picky but still.
Ubiquitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:02 AM   #28
Mr Frost

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANS View Post
Bulk -4* for the MK 14 MOD 0 is a typo; it should say Bulk -5*.
The day my copy of High Tech actually speaks to Me is the day I quit drinking !
Old 02-02-2010, 09:46 AM   #29
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Frost View Post
The day my copy of High Tech actually speaks to Me is the day I quit drinking !
Mine whispers constantly to me. Mostly about shooting things in the face.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:53 AM   #30
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:

This sums up the necessity pretty well; shotguns in GURPS just don't seem to have the damaging potential Battle Rifles do
Correct. I pretty much summed it up here. Short version: Don't bring a shotgun to a full-auto rifle fight. You'll lose.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
guns, high-tech