Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-25-2009, 10:04 PM   #1
Dragyn

Default Ruger 10/22 Rifle

Hi there, folks. Another question from me that will probably be answered in 2-3 posts..

I just got a Ruger 10/22 as a birthday present, and it started my zombie-sense tingling. It probably doesn't help that I just ordered 7 "of the Dead" movies from Amazon tonight.

At any rate, I'm loving this gun, and I'm starting to think of running a solo campaign for a player of mine where the only firearm available to him is a 10/22. Some of the stats I can infer from the Armalite and the real-world stats of the gun, but I'm thinking the performance of such a well regarded gun might be a little superior. Does anyone want to give a stab at stats?

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_10/22

<><
Dragyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:37 PM   #2
Phoenix_Dragon

Default Re: Ruger 10/22 Rifle

I don't think its stats would be higher, really. It's a cheap, simple weapon, and that's why it's "highly regarded." It can be easily customized for improved performance (While still staying relatively inexpensive), but it's not really anything special in terms of performance. Just a decent, cheap, easy, and most importantly, fun .22. Using the AR-7 stats with the modified weight and cost should work well enough. However, the 10/22 does have a slightly longer barrel, so you might bump the damage up to 2d-1. Maybe even 2d, but that's probably a bit high.

And yeah, can make a good zombie gun. At shorter ranges (Or with hotter loads. Well, for a .22...) it can pull off the headshots you need, and you can easily carry a few thousand rounds. If you can't get a better semi-auto (One that can more reliably take them out), I would think it would make a decent zombie-plinker.
Phoenix_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:08 AM   #3
lwcamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragwulf View Post
Hi there, folks. Another question from me that will probably be answered in 2-3 posts..

I just got a Ruger 10/22 as a birthday present, and it started my zombie-sense tingling. It probably doesn't help that I just ordered 7 "of the Dead" movies from Amazon tonight.

At any rate, I'm loving this gun, and I'm starting to think of running a solo campaign for a player of mine where the only firearm available to him is a 10/22. Some of the stats I can infer from the Armalite and the real-world stats of the gun, but I'm thinking the performance of such a well regarded gun might be a little superior. Does anyone want to give a stab at stats?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_10/22
Congrats. The 10/22 is a fun little gun. I have one and it has given me much plinking enjoyment.

Like any gun shooting .22 LR ammo, it is not going to have much "stopping power" (whatever that is). Unless your zombies tend to dissolve into rotted goo at the first scratch, I doubt it will be terribly effective (although if you go for the whole "head shot kills them, anything else puts a hole in them that they ignore" convention, it will be as effective as any other gun).

Like any other .22 autoloader, its reliability is largely dependent on the ammo used. Use the wrong type of ammo, and it tends to mis-feed, requiring a GURPS ready maneuver to work the action, clearing the chamber and loading a new round. Note that the wrong type of ammo is not an absolute - ammo that works great in other guns may cause trouble for a 10/22, and vice versa. The story I've heard is that this depends on the power behind the round being matched to the spring in the gun - ammo that is too powerful or not powerful enough will not always feed correctly.

While I'm talking about ammo, let me offer a bit of real-life advice - always use jacketed .22 ammo. I got some solid lead ammo once - for the 1st 100 shots or so the range officer was admiring my accuracy, claiming I was a dead-eye and the like. After that, I couldn't hit anything. I tried dropping a bore snake through to clean it out, and it only went a couple of inches down before stopping. When I got home, I found that the lead had plated onto the barrel, turning my nice .22 rifle into an approximately .20 smoothbore.

The 10/22 does have the annoying design such that you cannot insert a cleaning rod from the breach. If you use cleaning rods, you have to ram it down from the crown, which is often considered a no-no among folks who like to keep their guns shooting well. Nowadays, I use a bore snake for cleaning.

Other than that, the 10/22 is a fine, accurate rifle, perfectly murderous to pop cans and squirrels.

Luke
lwcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:27 AM   #4
ed_209a

Looking at several other .22 rifles in GURPS products, I'd say the AR-7 is close enough. Use Wikipedia to correct stats like Shots, Weight, etc and you should be golden.

Slight tangent: would the bull barrel and target trigger of the 10/22 target model be worth an ACC of 4? Or is it within GURPS rounding of the standard model?
Old 10-26-2009, 11:13 AM   #5
Ragitsu
Banned

Just give the zombies Vulnerability x4 (Bullets, Limited to the Skull) and all should be good.
Ragitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:56 AM   #6
marvin

I have Ruger .22 bolt-action that I got when I was twelve. It fires the same rounds and had a circular 10 round clip. I have to say that given personal experience I would not use it against zombies. There were many instances shooting large ground hogs that I had to put two or three rounds into it to kill it, even when using hollow points. While fairly accurate, especially with a 8X Bushnell scope, it just doesn't have the stopping power. Even when achieving head shots I had to on occasion track the bleeding ground hog into the brush to finish it.

I guess its better than nothing, but would seem more of an irritant than a true zombie killer. I recommend the .17 Hornady for the bigger ground hogs, and it has more range and a flatter trajectory. Its a bit loud for a varmint gun, but still a lot of fun to shoot.

That's my two cents though.
Benjamin
marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:19 PM   #7
safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_209a View Post
Slight tangent: would the bull barrel and target trigger of the 10/22 target model be worth an ACC of 4? Or is it within GURPS rounding of the standard model?
Well, clearly a Fine weapon is possible. It's a matter of debate whether specific mods alone make that much difference. In this case, you are replacing half the gun . . .
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:14 PM   #8
BMR

For Zombie-stopping power in a handy carbine, consider several models by Ruger, Springfield, or Berreta.

Ruger's Police Carbine series was running about $750 down in California gunshops around 1999, and about $450 in Oregon. It's available in 9mm and 40 S&W, which should be more than enough for a zombie head shot.

My model was the PC4GR-- the 0.40 cal with a rear ghost ring sight. Synthetic stock. It's pretty easy to take apart and clean, but like most Ruger products, it's a bit over-engineered, meaning its a bit bulkier and heavier than it needs to be, but very solid. You can drop it on the ground and it will still work. The other catch is that disassembly results in a lot of parts, because you have to remove the forward bandolier nut, the barrel band, the receiver screw, the receiver/barrel shroud assembly, the bolt assembly, the bolt lever, and the barrel.

Ruger weapons are not designed for field take-down, they require proprietary scope and accessory rings, and they don't make a lot of high capacity magazines for their products. Also, the PC4GR does not like reloaded ammunition--especially when the spring is new, you need to run factory or high powered reloads through it.

Then there is the classic M1-30 Carbine. Takes 15 and 30 round mags, light, handy, and stowable. The .30 Carbine cartridge is potent enough for this range of weapon, and you'll probably get better accuracy, range, and penetration than 0.22, 9mm, or 0.40.
Most are made with wooden stocks though, and unless they have been laminated and repaired regularly, any legacy carbine you find will be in danger of breaking, especially if its been used or stored in wet climates like the tropics or the Pacific Northwest. More importantly, 0.30 Carbine isn't available in large quantities at most modern streetside gunshops; it tends to be reloaded or made in basement workshops, or by mail order.

Finally, Beretta makes the Cx4 Storm, a futuristic looking carbine that is perhaps the most compact and versatile of the bunch. It features hand-on-hand reloading in a pistol grip, and fully ambidextrous controls--you can even change which side the ejection port will be. It's chambered in 9mm, 0.40, and 0.45, and you can mount a variety of accessories on integral Picatinny rails.

Now, in all three of these cases, the carbine is compatible with a pistol. The PC magazines will fit Ruger’s P-series pistols; e.g. my PC4GR mags will fit the P-94 semiauto, and vice-versa. In the case of the M1-30, the ammunition will fit in a series of 0.30 revolvers, which may be a bit hard to find. If your character uses the Berretta 92 in ‘80s action hero tradition, go with the Storm.

Bored with power cells? Try Paper Cells!
BMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:32 PM   #9
BMR

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwcamp View Post
The 10/22 does have the annoying design such that you cannot insert a cleaning rod from the breach. If you use cleaning rods, you have to ram it down from the crown, which is often considered a no-no among folks who like to keep their guns shooting well. Nowadays, I use a bore snake for cleaning.

Luke
I've been using bore snakes for years, and I started for much the same reason. I had a tactical pistol that I couldn't fully disassemble because a barrel nut had stuck (I later freed it with some lube, a lighter, and a pair of pliers) so the snake allowed me to clean it in the appropriate direction. After that, I just found I liked snakes better than rods.

Obviously, though, I keep rods around to tap out serious obstructions and to use as a probe.

Bored with power cells? Try Paper Cells!
BMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:43 PM   #10
Ragitsu
Banned

That shows some real dedication.
Ragitsu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gun, high tech, high-tech, rifle, ruger