Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-17-2007, 03:42 AM   #61
B9anders

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Interesting project. For roleplaying purposes, I think playing in an earlier era is the way to go, simply because superheroism and the conventions of it is a more credible concept in say the 70s than now. I think the ultimate series reflect that change fairly well, even if they must take on some conventions.

btw, I made a few writeups myself, including some of the ones you made you might be interested in comparing to:

The Amazing Spider-man

The Astonishing X-men (just cyclop, shadowcat and collosus)
B9anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 04:53 AM   #62
Phantasm

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian
I like that, actually. Hey, if Iceman and Spider-Man are both attending ESU, why not add Angelica Jones/Firestar to the roster of X-Academy graduates (maybe a year behind the boys)? It would be a nice shout-out to Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends, and nothing's stopping you from doing things this way in your rebooted setting.
Firestar I was thinking of having as a graduate of the Massachusetts Academy, and personal assassin for the White Queen.

Or maybe not, but it's an interesting What If? take on things.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:02 AM   #63
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth
Quote:
Create Invisible Force Fields 10 (Psionic, -10%) [90];
Not sure what you intend to do with this.
Create Invisible Force Fields is one of her two core abilities (Invisibility being the other one). The various attacks and the Flight/Walk on Air (thanks for that suggestion) are simply frequent "power stunts" on this ability. She can create an invisible wall, an airtight, waterproof dome or bubble for traveling or keeping the ocean out, contain and smother a fire, block off a hallway to stop someone from getting away, and even keep the water from coming out of an overturned canteen. Things like that which happen on a case-by-case basis I really don't see the need for detailing a dozen different abilities when one will suffice.

Now, the actual level of 10 may or may not vary; I like 10 on all my creators/controllers for its simplicity.

The main reason I was thinking Psionic for her powers is mostly due to the nosebleed movie!Sue got there during the climactic fight with Doom, a trait usually given in Marvel to psis who are pushing their abilities to their limits.

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:12 AM   #64
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery
Looks like a solid write-up, to me. What's the perk for? Is it related to that retro helmet design he had in his earliest appearances?
Yes, and Cap-Cap explained the reason for it.

Hank Pym, when he built the helmet, added a loudspeaker to it so that he could be heard by others who were much larger, hence the Perk. (I wanted to add Gadget limitations to it, but as a Perk what's the point?)

Old 05-17-2007, 07:40 AM   #65
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031
Yes, and Cap-Cap explained the reason for it.

Hank Pym, when he built the helmet, added a loudspeaker to it so that he could be heard by others who were much larger, hence the Perk. (I wanted to add Gadget limitations to it, but as a Perk what's the point?)
Thought so *g* You're right about not adding a limit to the Perk... I would usually just make a note on the character sheet showing how it works.
Quote:
Atlanteans

Atlanteans
175 points
Attribute Modifiers: ST +13 [130]; HT +2 [20].
Advantages: Enhanced Move (Water) 1.5 (Water Move 15/30 mph) [30]; Extended Lifespan 1 (x2) [2]; Night Vision 7 [7]; Pressure Support 2 [10]; Ultravision [10].
Disadvantages: Low TL -7 [-35]
Features: Aquatic [0]; Breathes With Gills [0].

Atlantean Half-Breeds
188 points
Attribute Modifiers: ST +13 [130]; HT +2 [20].
Advantages: Amphibious [10]; Doesn't Breathe (Gills, -50%) [10]; Enhanced Move (Water) 1.5 (Water Move 15/30 mph) [30]; Extended Lifespan 1 (x2) [2]; Night Vision 7 [7]; Pressure Support 2 [10]; Ultravision [10].
Disadvantages: Low TL -7 [-35].
Pity about the culture reboot... I always liked the high-tech Atlanteans. I noticed that you revised that post today. Did you make a change in the templates? The point costs are off a bit: The Atlantean package comes out to 174 and the Half-Breed 194, by my reckoning.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:33 AM   #66
naloth

Quote:
Create Invisible Force Fields is one of her two core abilities (Invisibility being the other one). The various attacks and the Flight/Walk on Air (thanks for that suggestion) are simply frequent "power stunts" on this ability. She can create an invisible wall, an airtight, waterproof dome or bubble for traveling or keeping the ocean out, contain and smother a fire, block off a hallway to stop someone from getting away, and even keep the water from coming out of an overturned canteen. Things like that which happen on a case-by-case basis I really don't see the need for detailing a dozen different abilities when one will suffice.
There are several problems with this. Create gives you a chunk of stuff. Stuff with DR/HP usually has an associated weight which is how you determine how much stuff you can Create. This stuff explicitly isn't shaped (like walls and domes). For that you have to take Control. It also isn't created at a range - that requires an enhancement.

Sue's FFs typically are weightless and tough. As a GM I wouldn't allow you to invent a unique material that gives you whatever stats you want and lets you make lots of it for a low cost.

Innate Attack w/Wall (Rigid) +60% allows you to create stuff that has HP/DR at a range in any shape you desire. I used:
Invisible Wall DR 90 HP 15 (IA-Crushing 30d, Area 5 = 16 hexes +200%, Hardened 4 +80%, No Obvious Effect +20%, Persistant +40%, Ranged +40%, Wall +60%, 1 Fatigue/Use -5%, Requires Constant Concentration -15%, Super -10%, 25.5/lvl) [765]

For my write-up though I was looking for something that would mostly stop a LAW w/6dx10 (10) dmg (avg 210 dmg) and this wall counts as DR 205 (DRx2 + HP) for overpenetration. Given that you put Cap's shield at DR150 and most attacks around 5-10d of damage, I'm guessing that you can get by with less than 1/2 what I put into it.

You can also take credit for "no wounding" which means that people don't take damage if they slam the wall... I didn't for 2 reasons:
1) It sound really cool to be able to whip up a wall in front of a car/jet/speedster that's moving pretty fast. It's decent damage even with this relatively low HP wall.
2) I didn't think of it at the time. :)

Last edited by naloth; 05-17-2007 at 08:38 AM.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:46 AM   #67
naloth

Quote:
FWIW, I allow Gadgets to be purchased where characters can arbitrarily do things that normal non-important equipment could. For the Killer Mime (character my brother had) we used this to represent that he can 'mime' equipment for actual effect. I also used it on a Green Lantern type build where he could make simple equipment as needed.

Quote:
The main reason I was thinking Psionic for her powers is mostly due to the nosebleed movie!Sue got there during the climactic fight with Doom, a trait usually given in Marvel to psis who are pushing their abilities to their limits.
Physical damage as a result of strain sounds over spending fatigue. She also collapses at the end.

Her powers are definitely more mental than physical in nature, but I usually define power mods by how I'm countering them. If she's vulnerable to things that Reed isn't (since he's more structural) then she should have a different power mod.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 11:04 AM   #68
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery
Thought so *g* You're right about not adding a limit to the Perk... I would usually just make a note on the character sheet showing how it works.Pity about the culture reboot... I always liked the high-tech Atlanteans. I noticed that you revised that post today. Did you make a change in the templates? The point costs are off a bit: The Atlantean package comes out to 174 and the Half-Breed 194, by my reckoning.
Nah, I was just editing some of the formatting. 174 and 194? I'll have to look at that. Do I have the pricing of some traits wrong?

Old 05-17-2007, 02:21 PM   #69
Phantasm

Updated the Atlanteans, Invisible Woman and Iron Man.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:31 PM   #70
Dormammu

Quote:
Might also want to tack on some Extra HP +55 (Trigger: Angry) as well, as he does seem to shrug off even more damage when he gets ****** off.
Peter David postulated that the Hulk just regenerated faster the angrier he got. In fact, he implied that his cellular growth rate was based on his anger. As he got more rage, his muscles grew faster and faster and wounds healed the instant they were made.
Dormammu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avengers, captain america, captain marvel, chandley, character creation, chargen, iron man, marvel, phantasm, supers, thor, x-men