Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-28-2015, 04:03 PM   #1041
Phantasm

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenshiro View Post
Very good job so far guys !

If you want some help to design The Sentry, I'm in !

I know this character like the back of my hand ! :)
You didn't need to shout! :( :)

As it is, I'm really not sure I want to use the Sentry, at least not the really broken version of him that retconned himself away and later back into activity. Reality-warpers give me a headache (hence why I made a major overhaul on Scarlet Witch's powerset, giving her Realm Magery with the Mutant (-10%) power modifier, which I'm not fully sure is legal . . . . ). A PTSD Superman expy ... is kinda hard to justify for this, y'know?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:38 PM   #1042
Kenshiro

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
You didn't need to shout! :( :)

As it is, I'm really not sure I want to use the Sentry, at least not the really broken version of him that retconned himself away and later back into activity. Reality-warpers give me a headache (hence why I made a major overhaul on Scarlet Witch's powerset, giving her Realm Magery with the Mutant (-10%) power modifier, which I'm not fully sure is legal . . . . ). A PTSD Superman expy ... is kinda hard to justify for this, y'know?
I guess.

The mainstream version is the most powerful by far.

I think that the most valuable solution is to give him a lot of points to reshape his powers at will and Wildcards abilities but well... It's complicated.
Kenshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 03:38 AM   #1043
Kenshiro

Quote:
I guess.

I think that the most valuable solution is to give him a lot of points to reshape his powers at will and Wildcards abilities but well... It's complicated.
The think is that we can create templates for Robert Reynolds.

His personae only changed in the Uncanny Avengers as he has no more mental issues.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:53 AM   #1044
Phantasm

Quote:
I guess.

I think you might be missing the point.

1) I don't really want reality-warpers in the Reboot, as they open things up to stuff that messes with things far too often, and

2) A mentally unstable Superman expy ... is not really something I'd want in the setting as yet, except maybe as an antagonist of some sort (villain or non-villain antagonist). Certainly not as a protagonist.

Also, where in the Reboot Universe would I put him? I'm not doing just individual characters, I'm working on entire casts - supporting cast, villains/non-villain antagonists, locations, technology, the whole shebang. I'm not really sure where Senty would fit. Which major city would be his stomping grounds? (I've got Ant-Man, Wasp, and Iron Fist in Chicago; Iron Man and Spider-Woman slated for Los Angeles; Thor and company in Houston, TX; Hulk out in Phoenix, AZ. I'm spreading them out a bit more, rather than making New York City the center of superhumandom.)

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:59 AM   #1045
Kenshiro

Quote:
I think you might be missing the point.

1) I don't really want reality-warpers in the Reboot, as they open things up to stuff that messes with things far too often, and

2) A mentally unstable Superman expy ... is not really something I'd want in the setting as yet, except maybe as an antagonist of some sort (villain or non-villain antagonist). Certainly not as a protagonist.

Also, where in the Reboot Universe would I put him? I'm not doing just individual characters, I'm working on entire casts - supporting cast, villains/non-villain antagonists, locations, technology, the whole shebang. I'm not really sure where Senty would fit. Which major city would be his stomping grounds? (I've got Ant-Man, Wasp, and Iron Fist in Chicago; Iron Man and Spider-Woman slated for Los Angeles; Thor and company in Houston, TX; Hulk out in Phoenix, AZ. I'm spreading them out a bit more, rather than making New York City the center of superhumandom.)
1) Agreed. They aren't designed to be balanced.

2) He has no more mental issues since Uncanny Avengers but I guess we will see him going toe-to-toe with Cosmic Beings now.

I guess that he is more a Lonewolf.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:03 PM   #1046
Phantasm

Quote:
2) He has no more mental issues since Uncanny Avengers but I guess we will see him going toe-to-toe with Cosmic Beings now.
Unlike the Heroes Reborn storyline, the heroes, villains, supporting cast, anti-heroes, and non-villain antagonists of the Reboot are not the "same" people as their 616 counterparts, but can be thought of as dimensional counterparts. Only two folks - other than the Living Tribunal him/her/itself, who is the Supreme Stability Judge of the Marvel Multiverse - have survived the destruction of Earth-616 and crossed over into Earth-Reboot: Uatu the Watcher (yes, I know he's currently dead in the MU right now, but what popular character stays that way?) and Rachel Summers/Phoenix.

And Sentry - to me, at least - will always be super-powerful damaged goods, and really has no clear place in my Reboot universe. Mind, I don't have the cosmic stuff laid out just yet, beyond Captain Mar-Vell and crew. I've got an idea to bring in Peter Quill/Starlord, Adam Warlock, and Thanos, but really not sure how to kick them off.

Last edited by Phantasm; 03-16-2015 at 12:07 AM.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:55 PM   #1047
Otaku

Quote:
Unlike the Heroes Reborn storyline, the heroes, villains, supporting cast, anti-heroes, and non-villain antagonists of the Reboot are not the "same" people as their 616 counterparts, but can be thought of as dimensional counterparts Only two folks - other than the Living Tribunal him/her/itself, who is the Supreme Stability Judge of the Marvel Multiverse - have survived the destruction of Earth-616 and crossed over into Earth-Reboot: Uatu the Watcher (yes, I know he's currently dead in the MU right now, but what popular character stays that way?) and Rachel Summers/Phoenix.

And Sentry - to me, at least - will always be super-powerful damaged goods, and really has no clear place in my Reboot universe. Mind, I don't have the cosmic stuff laid out just yet, beyond Captain Mar-Vell and crew. I've got an idea to bring in Peter Quill/Starlord, Adam Warlock, and Thanos, but really not sure how to kick them off.
Given the whole "year one" vibe, wouldn't Sentry still have a few screws loose even if he were imported but followed the trends established with other characters?
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:45 PM   #1048
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
Given the whole "year one" vibe, wouldn't Sentry still have a few screws loose even if he were imported but followed the trends established with other characters?
This is true, another reason I'm hesitant to use him.

Last edited by Phantasm; 03-01-2015 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:30 PM   #1049
Otaku

Quote:
This is true, another reason I'm hesitant to use him.
He might be something to consider down the road if your other concerns can be addressed, but the way he works, might he not make more sense showing up later rather than sooner?
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:19 PM   #1050
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
He might be something to consider down the road if your other concerns can be addressed, but the way he works, might he not make more sense showing up later rather than sooner?
True, I do have several key folks slotted for a Year Two or later debut: Apocalypse, Galactus, Silver Surfer, Red Skull, Alpha Flight in general, etc. No reason I can't just say Sentry is one of them.

Last edited by Phantasm; 04-18-2021 at 08:45 PM.

Tags
avengers, captain america, captain marvel, chandley, character creation, chargen, iron man, marvel, phantasm, supers, thor, x-men