Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

View Poll Results: When did you first play TFT?
1970s 59 59.60%
1980s 24 24.24%
1990s 0 0%
2000s 4 4.04%
2010s 1 1.01%
Haven't played yet 11 11.11%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-10-2018, 04:18 AM   #31
pyratejohn

Default Re: When did you first play TFT?

1977, so unless it was December I would have been 12. My friend Steve had the first printing and I enjoyed it so much I bought it, but my copy is a second printing.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:21 AM   #32
Whome?

I started in the 1980s, the game was cheap and fun. Could not pass up that bargain.
Whome? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:36 PM   #33
Mallen the dark

I was introduced to metagaming when they first came out. In high school, i introduced it to my friends. I kept hearing about d&d, but started with melee. Was very disappointed when in d&d when i finally played it for the first time. After the death of metagaming, i started converting other games' adventures to TFT.
Mallen the dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:19 PM   #34
Narmer

Started playing Melee in 1979 in middle school.
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:44 PM   #35
ak_aramis

January or February of 1985. A buddy of mine, Dan Henschel, had Melee, and we had a windstorm so bad it nearly killed the school-bus and occupants thereof. So we found ourselves with a week off school due to weathher. (Eagle River, Alaska - it was wind and rain over extant cold-soaked ground with ice.) So I skated over to Dan's, about 2 blocks, and we played Melee and SFB. I found it a few weeks later at The Book Cache (a "local" chain of bookstores in Alaska; by 1990, they were sold to a canadian company) on 4th Ave. (about 500 or 600 block. No longer there.)

Anyway, TBC had copies of Wizard, Melee, and a bunch of the adventures. I bought, typically, one a week. It took a couple weeks to save up for Dragons of Underearth and Lords of Underearth.

Spenard Hobby had Advanced Wizard, Advanced Melee, and the FMC. I got those on a buying binge in 1988. (Spenard Hobby, in that incarnation, was dusty, stacked to the rafters, narrow aisles, and chock full of all kinds of hidden goodies. The location is now Plato's Closet - Spenard and Northern Lights. And it had no art supplies that weren't for minis, trains, or modelwork - for real art, they sent you two blocks away to Blaine's - which is still present, according to Google Maps. Note that Bosco's was 2 blocks away, and started a price war on games... killing Spenard Hobby.)

I played mostly solo. I did run some short campaigns, 3-4 adventures, with certain friends. Dan and I stopped playing Melee before I could acquire a copy of In the Labyrinth. I eventually bought a copy of ITL from a friend. Complete with errata penciled in obsessively. (If he wants to out himself, I'll leave it to him. He's on the boards here, tho'.)

In the late 90's I ran a 2 month campaign with 4 hour sessions. In the Early 2000's, I ran a 3 player game with Gargoyles, 5 hour sessions. We transitioned to GURPS for IOU, with the same characters, but it flopped. GURPS just wasn't good for doing Gargoyle humor.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:25 PM   #36
Anomylous

Early-mid 2000's. Dad pulled his old copies of Melee, Wizard, etc. out of the closet and ran a quick adventure for us kids – I was the oldest, at maybe 10 or 11. I guess he thought playing the game would make for good arithmetic practice...or maybe he just wanted to run a campaign again.

Now, we've got an entire extended family of second-generation fans, and the annual TFT campaign is an established Christmas tradition, to the bewilderment of some of our less imaginative relatives...
Anomylous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 01:20 PM   #37
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

I'm one of the "haven't played it yet" votes.

I've always been fascinated with metagaming microgames since I got GEV in 1978 and always wanted to collect more of them, but I was never able to. I'm really excited to finally get a chance to take this for a spin.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:06 PM   #38
Buzzardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
I'm one of the "haven't played it yet" votes.

I've always been fascinated with metagaming microgames since I got GEV in 1978 and always wanted to collect more of them, but I was never able to. I'm really excited to finally get a chance to take this for a spin.
I gotta say: I'm surprised, since you're such a super-fan for Ogre. You're in for a treat. :)

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:25 PM   #39
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzardo View Post
I gotta say: I'm surprised, since you're such a super-fan for Ogre. You're in for a treat. :)
I knew somebody would bite on that. :-)

My early exposure to SJ was GEV and Awful Green Things. When I got GEV, I also got Basic D&D at the same time (a very pivotal Christmas, for sure), so went down that road for a long time. With all the twists and turns of Modern RPGs, I'm really excited to get back to "old-school" role-playing and everything I've seen so far definitely speaks to "my style" of play. I already have my group lined up and ready to go once I get it in-hand.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:53 AM   #40
Rick_Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
... My early exposure to SJ was GEV and Awful Green Things. ...
Hi GranitePenguin,
I expect that you will really enjoy TFT. But Awful Green Things was actually designed by Tom Wham.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is online now   Reply With Quote