Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-25-2011, 01:54 PM   #1
Bruno

Default Glamour, Supernatural Features, and Appearance

I'm tinkering around with a Mummy player template for a Monster Hunters game, but this isn't dealing with something specifically MH so I'm not flagging it. But it has thrown up an interesting situation that I'm trying to sort out:

The Shrouded Dead are mummies, and naturally look like walking corpses. They smell faintly of preservatives (formaldhyde, incense-like herbs, wet peat etc). You might confuse an Egyptian preserved mummy for someone wearing too a cheap Old Spice knock-off, or smoking dubious herbal preparations, but you'll remember he smelled unusual. They'll get sniffed out by a vampire/dhampir or werewolf very quickly and you can train dogs to detect them by preservative type. They're probably also room-temperature.

The idea was that they project an illusion of their living appearance so they can pass for human - but the illusion can be disrupted if they're stunned or knocked out (or with a counter-spell, or by contact with a holy object), and they smell funny all the dang time. They're better off than a demon, but not as well camouflaged as a demonspawn.

You can't combine Monstrous or otherwise obviously-not-human appearance and Supernatural Features like No Body Heat or Smells Like Corpse Preservatives, and I'm not sure Alternate Form (Cosmetic-50%; Not When Unconscious or Stunned, -5%) can really change your Appearance level from Monstrous to anything else.

I'm thinking the Monstrous Appearance needs a Mitigator limitation ("reduces Monstrous Appearance to Supernatural Feature(s), requires Alternate Form") - so if the Supernatural Features come to -10 points, the Mitigator goes on the -10 points to "downgrade" SF to Monstrous. I'm eyeballing -65% for the mitigator because it's not as obviously targetable as glasses or easy to cut you off than a daily pill, but it's easier to mess with than a monthly treatment.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:06 PM   #2
PK

Default Re: Glamour, Supernatural Features, and Appearance

Your idea of treating the glamour as a base-10-point advantage is the way to go, in this instance. You have Monstrous [-20] normally. But your glamour lets you remove Monstrous [20] and replace it with Supernatural Features [-10], for a net 10 points. So you'd end up with:

Appearance (Monstrous) [-20]; Glamour* (Not when unconscious or stunned, -10%) [9].

* A custom advantage to represent replacing Monstrous with Supernatural Features.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:11 PM   #3
Bruno

Huh. Yeah, that works.

If the Mummy wants a different appearance ("I was the envy of the Lower Nile!" or "I was so ugly they beat me, put me in a sack and threw me in the bog" they adjust the 10 point difference appropriately.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:25 PM   #4
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Huh. Yeah, that works.

If the Mummy wants a different appearance ("I was the envy of the Lower Nile!" or "I was so ugly they beat me, put me in a sack and threw me in the bog" they adjust the 10 point difference appropriately.
Exactly. A "handsome" mummy might have:

Appearance (Monstrous) [-20]; Glamour* (Not when unconscious or stunned, -10%) [20].

* Custom advantage that replaces Monstrous with Supernatural Features and Handsome.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:04 PM   #5
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
Your idea of treating the glamour as a base-10-point advantage is the way to go, in this instance. You have Monstrous [-20] normally. But your glamour lets you remove Monstrous [20] and replace it with Supernatural Features [-10], for a net 10 points. So you'd end up with:

Appearance (Monstrous) [-20]; Glamour* (Not when unconscious or stunned, -10%) [9].

* A custom advantage to represent replacing Monstrous with Supernatural Features.
Is there ever a time when simpler isn't better? I was thinking like B, that an AF was called for, but just conditionally limiting the change in Appearance is so much easier... Well done!
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote