Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 06-30-2018, 10:52 PM   #1
LokRobster

Default Evil Runes: How to defeat?

I was GM’ing a few sessions ago and my Delvers ran into some Evil Runes in a tunnel that they needed to traverse.

They wanted to “Dispel” the Runes, but flipping through the rule books I ruled it didn’t work... and aside from levitation I couldn’t see a way for them to get through without triggering all of the Evil Runes’ damage rolls.

As a GM What sorts of methods to pass through Evil Runes do y’all allow?

As a Player, what would you try?
Old 06-30-2018, 11:06 PM   #2
LokRobster

Default Re: Evil Runes: How to defeat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokRobster View Post
...They wanted to “Dispel” the Runes, but flipping through the rule books I ruled it didn’t work...
Mainly because the Caster didn’t have the Spell the Rune used. The Evil Rune description on page 9 of DFRPG Traps book doesn’t mention Dispel Magic in relation to Evil Runes but it’s probably iterated somewhere else that I am missing. Even though the effect is magic, the only ’Disarm’ option was physical (chemistry). And the trap is listed in the “Construction Traps”.

Last edited by LokRobster; 06-30-2018 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Pretty it up
LokRobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:39 AM   #3
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
/Ackbar "It's a trap!"

So, obviously the Traps skill. It's also magic so I allow Hazardous Materials (Magic).

If the Evil Runes were created by an Unholy Divine magic I'd also allow Exorcism to remove them.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 03:35 AM   #4
lachimba

Quote:
I was GM’ing a few sessions ago and my Delvers ran into some Evil Runes in a tunnel that they needed to traverse.

They wanted to “Dispel” the Runes, but flipping through the rule books I ruled it didn’t work... and aside from levitation I couldn’t see a way for them to get through without triggering all of the Evil Runes’ damage rolls.

As a Player, what would you try?

There is no way

That's what they are meant to be.

Etched ones can possibly be removed by acid. Other ones deal with them. Use a barbarian to soak damage or everyone goes through.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:16 AM   #5
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

When we ran into runes in I Smell a Rat! we settled down and the Holy Warrior did a very elaborate and time consuming ritual (Exorcism?) and then made the rolls by a LOT. Sean ruled we'd dispelled them; since there were quite a few writers at the table, afterwards we asked: they're meant to be run through and the damage absorbed. If one doesn't have HOURS to pray and exorcise the evil power, that's all you can do.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:29 PM   #6
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
Etched ones can possibly be removed by acid.
Or a chisel, or a hammer, or magic to rework the material the Runes are etcged into, etc...

Quote:
Other ones deal with them.
By removing the Runes in some manner. If painted on, remove the paint. Etc.

If magically floating on the surface or air, mundane Traps isn't going to be as much help*, but this is still a magical threat, so Hazardous Materials (Magic) should have something to say about it.

* In my opinion the Thief template is already terrible so if there are traps they cannot possibly deal with, this only makes them less desirable or necessary. So... I allow Traps to deal with magical traps. In this last case I still allow Traps to detect the trap, even if it can't readily deal with it (the Thief on a successful roll could suggest magical means of dealing it though). Of course some traps are best just soaked, but I always prefer to have a trap be able to be dealt with.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 01:06 PM   #7
Anthony

Evil runes are enchantments, and would thus be defeated by remove or suspend enchantment. Like all enchantments, they can also be destroyed by destroying the item they are cast on. As the enchantment college isn't available to DF PCs, mass destruction is the only available option, and may have undesirable consequences if the runes are attached to structural elements.

Other means of defeating evil runes, if they exist, will be specified in the trap description. Note that you can use protections from magic to pass runes unharmed.
Old 07-01-2018, 05:14 PM   #8
Stripe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
When we ran into runes in I Smell a Rat! we settled down and the Holy Warrior did a very elaborate and time consuming ritual (Exorcism?) and then made the rolls by a LOT. Sean ruled we'd dispelled them; since there were quite a few writers at the table, afterwards we asked: they're meant to be run through and the damage absorbed. If one doesn't have HOURS to pray and exorcise the evil power, that's all you can do.
Good to know. That's seemed to be the intention, to me. Rather like "wandering damage."
if I can't say 'I'm chaotic evil!'"? —Jeff Freeman
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 05:41 PM   #9
Mister Negative

I think the method of defeat might vary by Evil Rune (and Evil GM). Some runes might work on contact, so you might leap over them, or lay boards across them, or levitate over.

Others may work by proximity, but you may be able to use Resist spells to ignore them, or they might have a trigger and a cool-down, so you could send the Barbarian forward to eat one, then have everyone run across.

Others might be etched into the surface, where you could use acid to remove the runes, or they might be painted onto a surface, where you could possibly use Apportation and a alcohol-soaked rag to wipe them off.

So, basically, I think they are almost a catch-all category for creativity from the GM and the players. The GM can describe the runes, and players can use spells (and a handy Barbarian) to see what they do (or the good ol' 10' pole), and then experiment, or just dash past and hope for the best. In many cases, I suspect that it's easier to eat the damage and heal it back than actually permanently remove the darn things.

I would almost always allow the destruction of the surface the runes are etched into to remove them, but I wouldn't put it past the Hell Gnomes to have them just floating in midair, either.

Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Mister Negative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 05:43 PM   #10
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Or a chisel, or a hammer, or magic to rework the material the Runes are etcged into, etc...

By removing the Runes in some manner. If painted on, remove the paint. Etc.

If magically floating on the surface or air, mundane Traps isn't going to be as much help*, but this is still a magical threat, so Hazardous Materials (Magic) should have something to say about it.

* In my opinion the Thief template is already terrible so if there are traps they cannot possibly deal with, this only makes them less desirable or necessary. So... I allow Traps to deal with magical traps. In this last case I still allow Traps to detect the trap, even if it can't readily deal with it (the Thief on a successful roll could suggest magical means of dealing it though). Of course some traps are best just soaked, but I always prefer to have a trap be able to be dealt with.

No.

Acid was given as a way to remove etched ones. Thats what was given if they meant chisel and hammer they would have written that. If chisel and hammer makes you happy then thats your game. Not RAW.

There are no painted on ones. Once again if having them painted on makes you happy thats fine in your game.

Hazardous materials tells you they cant easily be removed. Now work out how you are going to get past them.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote