Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-21-2015, 06:59 AM   #1
Carnwennan

Default Flexibility/ Double-jointed and CQC

The description of flexibility says:
"You get +3 on Climbing rolls; on Escape rolls to get free of ropes, handcuffs, and similar restraints; on Erotic Art skill; and on all attempts to break free in close combat (see p. 391). You may ignore up to 3 in penalties for working in close quarters (including many Explosives and Mechanic rolls). 5 points."

Emphasis mine.

I was curious if this applied to the -4/ yard of reach for using melee weapons in close combat and the -1 to -3 penalty for shields. Has there been any previous discussion? My searching didn't turn up anything. Any page numbers or links to editor-posts welcomed.

I'm also interested to know if the +3 bonus to break free of close quarters combat included Evasion rolls to leave the hex on the opponent's side. As before, I couldn't find anything related to this either. Likewise, page numbers or editor posts welcomed.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Last edited by Carnwennan; 07-21-2015 at 07:26 AM.
Carnwennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:42 AM   #2
DanHoward

Default Re: Flexibility/ Double-jointed and CQC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnwennan View Post
The description of flexibility says:
"You get +3 on Climbing rolls; on Escape rolls to get free of ropes, handcuffs, and similar restraints; on Erotic Art skill; and on all attempts to break free in close combat (see p. 391). You may ignore up to 3 in penalties for working in close quarters (including many Explosives and Mechanic rolls). 5 points."

Emphasis mine.

I was curious if this applied to the -4/ yard of reach for using melee weapons in close combat and the -1 to -3 penalty for shields. Has there been any previous discussion? My searching didn't turn up anything. Any page numbers or links to editor-posts welcomed.

I'm also interested to know if the +3 bonus to break free of close quarters combat included Evasion rolls to leave the hex on the opponent's side. As before, I couldn't find anything related to this either. Likewise, page numbers or editor posts welcomed.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
I would say no to both of these both for practical reasons and for game balance. If this advantage has too many combat benefits it will need a higher cost.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:25 AM   #3
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:

I was curious if this applied to the -4/ yard of reach for using melee weapons in close combat and the -1 to -3 penalty for shields.
No, "penalties for working in close quarters" isn't the same as "penalties for close combat." The former refers to the use of technical skills out of combat. We always spell out "close combat" where we intend it. If you don't see those precise words, the trait or rule has nothing to do with close combat.

Quote:

I'm also interested to know if the +3 bonus to break free of close quarters combat included Evasion rolls to leave the hex on the opponent's side.
No, Evading (p. B368) is a different rule from Break Free (p. B371). The two aren't related in any meaningful way, and we always use those terms precisely, too.

The only combat benefit to Flexibility or Double-Jointed is a bonus specifically to break free from a grapple or a pin.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:15 AM   #4
Carnwennan

Ahh, I see! Thank you very much for the clarification =)
Carnwennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 01:46 PM   #5
Daggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
The only combat benefit to Flexibility or Double-Jointed is a bonus specifically to break free from a grapple or a pin.
Plus Double-Jointed has the added benefit of being able to parry a side attack from your non-weapon side (if you are using a one handed weapon). (See Campaigns, p. 390) This actually makes the advantage usable IMO. Especially good for DF fighters who rely on their parry.

Last edited by Daggle; 04-07-2018 at 06:00 PM.
Daggle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
close quarters combat, cqc, double jointed, flexibility