Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-30-2010, 09:44 PM   #11
zylosan

Default Re: Reverse of Weirdness Magnet

Mundanity would not really make for a very good character advantage unless or idea of a good game session is your character showing up to work, have nothing out of the ordinary, go home, go to sleep and rinse and repeat.

If you pay close attention to Doctor Who you will occassionally catch referrences to the fact that a some period of time passes between each of there Adventure. Its implied that most of the time they show up some where, have a look around and leave with nothing untold happening.
zylosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:54 PM   #12
Stone Dog

Wraithe, I'm not criticizing you. I'm just riffing off this paragraph to make Weirdness Magnet events.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraithe View Post
Invading aliens will realize they've left their toothbrushes at home, and leave to go get them.
During an alien invasion you encounter the one trooper who is homesick, ducking out of the battle and would rather talk about his smizmaar back home than fight.
Quote:
Demons will appear and decide to go somewhere else.
But they ask you for directions and get frustrated with you when you don't understand their multi-dimensional perspective.
Quote:
Mystic maps will turn out to be complete gibberish, leading nowhere interesting, unless occasionally, to a good restaurant.
Mystic maps start scribbling notes in the margins mocking you and your travelers. Mostly you, though.
Quote:
Intradimensional gates cannot open to strange new universes in your presence.
You can go through it once it fires up, it just won't fire up when you are too close. They will vibrate alarmingly instead, even if they aren't supposed to be working, making the arcane version of the noise a car makes when it won't turn over. If you back up a bit everything goes back to normal.
Stone Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:09 PM   #13
Wraithe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Dog View Post
Wraithe, I'm not criticizing you. I'm just riffing off this paragraph to make Weirdness Magnet events.
Riff away! After I posted that i started thinking of variant versions of "Normalcy/Weirdness Magnets":

SitCom Magnet: no plotlines can last longer than two gaming sessions around you and must be resolved completely in the last 10 minutes of play.

Soap Opera Magnet: vanquished enemies will always be revived and arrive at the most dramatic moment. Any blow anyone receives to the head while in your presence will result in either amnesia, falling in love with next person they see, or delusion (true or not).

And last, but certainly not least:

Cole Porter Magnet: instead of monologues, villains will launch into up-tempo show tunes to explain their evil plans.

No idea on costs. :)

Nale: "if you see any of your allies, kill them and bring me their magic items"
Belkar: "What? No way!"
Nale: "Oh right, Charm can't make you act against your principles. If you see any of your allies , kill them and keep their magic items."
Belkar: "You got it, boss!"
Nale: "While singing the complete score to 'Meet Me In St. louis'."
Belkar: "Meet me in St. Louis, meet me at the fair..."
Nale: "I love being evil."

Last edited by Wraithe; 08-30-2010 at 10:20 PM.
Wraithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:24 PM   #14
whswhs

That sounds sort of like Jumper with Weirdness Magnet as a Temporary Disadvantage limitation.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:26 AM   #15
smurf
Banned

WM is just played oddly:

"I'm a sm+2 alien that has been accepted at a Geisha, which happens to be a secret society of ninja assassins".

"well you needed a job and due to current legsilation the profession is unable to discriminate".

Other than that, things happen to WMs that allows things to escape from them.
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:58 PM   #16
tylrlsaa

Quote:
Mundane Background. You are so normal that you can't even learn about the supernatural or use equipment based on it until you come to grips with the fact that it is real.
Wasn't this in Gurps IOU? ISTR an advantage like that. At higher levels, the weird abilities of others ceased to operate. I remember that the text noted that people with flying carpets hung wires off of them so Mundanes (people with the Mundane advantage) would think they were a movie FX, and wouldn't negate their carpet.
tylrlsaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:01 PM   #17
Stone Dog

It was in GURPS IOU, but a lesser form of it made it to Characters. It doesn't negate supernatural things, it just prevents a character from learning how to deal with it.
Stone Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 04:37 PM   #18
Inquisitive Raven

Quote:
Mundane Background. You are so normal that you can't even learn about the supernatural or use equipment based on it until you come to grips with the fact that it is real.
Note that Mundane Background and Mundanity are two different things. Mundane Background is merely the opposite of Unusual Background for games where an Unusual Background is normal. IOU, as noted elsewhere, is the original setting for this one.

Mundanity also originally appeared in IOU, and someone with this Disadvantage is functionally the equivalent of a Sleeper in Mage: the Ascension except that it affects everything weird, not just mages. Another equivalent might be a Floating Vagabond character whose Schtick is the Newton Effect.
Inquisitive Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:58 PM   #19
Wraithe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitive Raven View Post
Note that Mundane Background and Mundanity are two different things. Mundane Background is merely the opposite of Unusual Background for games where an Unusual Background is normal. IOU, as noted elsewhere, is the original setting for this one.
Wait...if "Unusual Background" is normal...then...wouldn't having a Mundane Background BE an "Unusual Background"?

Aiigh! Aigh! Up is down! Black is white! Aigh!
Wraithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:05 PM   #20
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraithe View Post
Wait...if "Unusual Background" is normal...then...wouldn't having a Mundane Background BE an "Unusual Background"?

Aiigh! Aigh! Up is down! Black is white! Aigh!
Well sure, but there isn't an official disadvantageous form of Unusual Background, so it ends up with different names when it actually has enough drawbacks to count as a disadvantage.