Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 07:12 PM   #11
JLV

Default Re: TFT and The Lost Lands

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
My current between-play-session project is cooking up my own megadungeon that actually starts as an 'offiicial style' hex tile map rather than drawing a normal map and hexifying it. It's pretty fun, as your drafting is a direct map of things that happen in play in a rules-bound way during play, as the players march their way through the MH tiles on the table
I did that many years ago...by cheating. ;-)

I used the blank hex map that came with the game (which is geomorphic) and had a massive dungeon "level" made up of nine copies of the same map, butted up against each other in different ways (so my dungeon "level" had six sublevels), and then added a second level (same size, same maps, but butted up against each other differently this time) about 200' below the bottom "sublevel" (call it 1F) of the map above. My players never actually caught on. We might have gone on, but they never really mastered all that real-estate anyway, and then life intervened and broke up the group. Still, it was a "cheap and easy" way to create a sort of a Megadungeon, without having to take the hours necessary to draw it, and since it was sort of a "gonzo" dungeon anyway, it didn't need to be, er, "drawn with intent" the way I normally design one. It gave the players a really big underground area to explore though, and I had created some fairly extensive, complex, and interwoven "random" tables to create room contents on the fly that worked pretty darn well, so everyone had fun.

Last edited by JLV; 04-04-2019 at 07:19 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:31 AM   #12
larsdangly

It's interesting that your group didn't tweak to the fact that they were wandering a giant Mobius strip.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:10 AM   #13
JLV

Quote:
It's interesting that your group didn't tweak to the fact that they were wandering a giant Mobius strip.
Well, they did spend some time running from monsters so their mapping was inconsistent at best, and I made sure to distract them with changing descriptions of the walls/floor/ceilings, and when they stumbled upon a new entrance/exit, it was always totally different (again, in description only) from anything they'd seen before... If I'd only thought of it, I could have used the Barrowmaze gimmick of having each entrance come out in a different barrow mound, which would have further distracted them. Plus, all those sub-levels prevented them from ever really understanding any one sub-level they were on very well -- and then, on top of everything else, to find another huge level 200' further down probably confused them even more.

It's kind of like stage magic -- waving your off hand distracts the audience from what you're really doing.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:23 PM   #14
Dana

I just received the backerkit for The World of the Lost Lands on Kickstarter and it asks if I'd prefer 5e, Pathfinder or Swords & Wizardry formats for each of the PDFs I'm getting.

I was thinking 5e since I really don't know the others but if I wanted the best for TFT, what would that be?
Old 05-27-2019, 07:03 PM   #15
larsdangly

I feel like Swords+Wizardry is the best 'base line' for a conversion from D+D to TFT, simply because the stat blocks will be relatively simple and your book will have less cruft to ignore.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:20 PM   #16
Theohippip

Location: Downstate or Upstate New York. Depends on your definition.

That was my question exactly, having played neither 5e, nor Pathfinder, nor S&W. Thanks! Swords and Wizardry it is!
Old 05-27-2019, 07:54 PM   #17
malchidael

Having played Swords & Wizardry, Pathfinder, and D&D 5 (as well as TFT, of course), I agree with Lars. The only reason I would get anything else is if I were going to use the Lost Lands specifically with that game system.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:53 PM   #18
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana View Post
I just received the backerkit for The World of the Lost Lands on Kickstarter and it asks if I'd prefer 5e, Pathfinder or Swords & Wizardry formats for each of the PDFs I'm getting.

I was thinking 5e since I really don't know the others but if I wanted the best for TFT, what would that be?
I concur; I've bought everything for Lost Lands as S&W thus far and, while not simple, it's easier, in my opinion, to convert than Pathfinder (and 5E wasn't even an option when I started).

However, with the FGG/SJG agreement, we may yet see conversion docs for TFT for some of the big projects (this one, the Blight, etc.), which would make everything much easier!
Old 05-28-2019, 08:05 AM   #19
larsdangly

I've enjoyed a lot of FGG setting materials (and used a lot of them for TFT games!), but never dipped into The Blight. The broad brush strokes of that city sound super appealing to me, but I was turned off by the suggestions in the advertising that most of the page count was devoted to 'adventure path' style campaigns. (Something inside me dies a little every time I see an 'adventure path' book for a roleplaying game...). Was I right, or is this something that a 'sand box' devotee could use?
Old 05-28-2019, 01:13 PM   #20
JLV

Quote:
I've enjoyed a lot of FGG setting materials (and used a lot of them for TFT games!), but never dipped into The Blight. The broad brush strokes of that city sound super appealing to me, but I was turned off by the suggestions in the advertising that most of the page count was devoted to 'adventure path' style campaigns. (Something inside me dies a little every time I see an 'adventure path' book for a roleplaying game...). Was I right, or is this something that a 'sand box' devotee could use?
Honestly, I don't know -- I skipped the Blight Kickstarter because I was in the middle of a (very) expensive Call of Cthulhu props Kickstarter and couldn't afford the cash. But since we're supposed to get a Players' Guide to it with the Lost Lands rewards, I'll see then if it's a city I want to use, or if I'll just use Sanctuary (from Thieves' Guild) or DCC's Lankhmar or some other city I already have for the purpose. If I remember, once I've received and read the Players' Guide, I'll try to come back here and answer your question!

(Oh, and P.S. -- I totally agree with you on the "adventure path" stuff! It's just another name for "railroad" from what I've seen...)
Closed Thread

Tags
frog god, lost lands, tft