Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-22-2012, 06:08 PM   #1
D351

Default GURPS: xxxxx Kits

So, I just finished playing a game of D&D Gamma World, which, with little experience with the D&D rules, was painful and non-sensical. I don't know for sure if it was the mechanics or just the poorly organised rulebook, but no one at the table had any fun. But I digress. What immediately came to mind when I opened the box was that it'd be awesome if SJGames sold boxes that came with cardboard pieces and map, GURPS Lite, and a short campaign. Best possible idea: a box set for each major GURPS setting; Yrth, Transhuman Space, Infinite Worlds, etc. Personally, I think that this idea makes more sense for GURPS, as the rules for GURPS are far more easily simplified for a small starter package, and attuned far better for a full storyline. Basically, I'm imagining a box, GURPS Lite, some cardboard pieces, a few hexmaps, and an adventure book (basic campaign, brief description of the setting, character templates, advert for the full setting book), with a single extra copy of any handouts (so the GM doesn't have to copy them from the book, allowing immediate gameplay), plus five or six character sheets. They could be marketed as GURPS: xxxxx Starter Kits, so new players and GMs can dip their toes in without having to dig up components/adventure/etc. separately. An added bonus is that, by including hexmaps, players are encouraged to get the full basic set books to use the tactical combat rules.

The two biggest problems I've faced in getting my roomies to play a GURPS campaign have been character creation and lack of components. While character creation can be dealt with by providing templates or pre-built characters, components are an issue of finding things that match the campaign. First, I've had a bit of difficulty in finding suppliers of hexmaps in the scale of GURPS, better yet ones that aren't dungeon fantasy settings. Second, with the diversity available in GURPS, it becomes even harder to find components that fit any possible setting. I'm sure many GURPS players who have all of the related books would buy the kits just for the components. I certainly would, especially for Infinite Worlds or Transhuman Space.
D351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
Kage2020

Default Re: GURPS: xxxxx Kits

Given the reticence for a "GURPS Lite Fantasy" (etc.) it strikes me as unlikely that they would bring the extra and go down the route of that and all the other bits. Of course, I don't in any work for SJGames, so obviously I cannot say that definitively, but... Well, there you have it.

Getting through the morass of character generation can often be done with GM-moderated, concept-driven approaches. Just FYI. Not saying that you haven't tried that, but again just throwing it out there.
Kage2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #3
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by D351 View Post
First, I've had a bit of difficulty in finding suppliers of hexmaps in the scale of GURPS, better yet ones that aren't dungeon fantasy settings.
1 inch hexes are a very common size. I use a Crystal Caste mat .
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #4
D351

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
1 inch hexes are a very common size. I use a Crystal Caste mat .
Lol, that's the one map I have. I was thinking more along the lines of these: http://www.warehouse23.com/item.html?id=SJG7303... just with an adventure to go with... and with more for specific settings.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
D351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage2020 View Post
Getting through the morass of character generation can often be done with GM-moderated, concept-driven approaches. Just FYI. Not saying that you haven't tried that, but again just throwing it out there.
Yeah, I've tried it with limited success. It's been like pulling teeth to get them to settle on a concept. It's ironic. If I'd picked a system with limited options, they'd settle for anything within those options, but because GURPS has such openness, they want to have all of those options on the table, which means digging through the book for hours, then complaining about how long it takes to make a character.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:54 PM   #6
wellspring

I've run into this problem as well. While I think "Powered by" sets would help expand the market, the existing market likes the complexity and wants more. So it's the GM's job to hide the scaffolding.

Of course, there's nothing to stop you from creating such a thing. I've been thinking for a while of creating such a system for my non-GURPS friends, so that everything is pre-calculated, the campaign options pre-selected, and most of the complexity is hidden from them.

Nowadays, it's easy to create some very professional-looking stuff that you print at POD companies for personal use: cards for combat maneuvers, conditions, powers, and spells, printed mini-supplements for campaign background, counters for FP/HP/ER, and maps and counters for games which use the tactical rules.

(Obviously, here's the obligatory reminder that you not violate SJ Games's copyrights and print anything for your personal use only.)

It's a ton of work, and it would be great if they did this for us, but they don't see the business case for it, and I suspect it's because there isn't one.
wellspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:05 PM   #7
Jerander

Quote:
Yeah, I've tried it with limited success. It's been like pulling teeth to get them to settle on a concept. It's ironic. If I'd picked a system with limited options, they'd settle for anything within those options, but because GURPS has such openness, they want to have all of those options on the table, which means digging through the book for hours, then complaining about how long it takes to make a character.
Yeah, decision paralysis is a killer. Try arbitrarily (sp?) limiting the choices for them. "Fantasy game, Standard Magic, no Psionics." Or something.
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:25 PM   #8
Refplace

I do not see the value of a boxed starter set but your mileage may vary.
We do have one official free adventure (Caravan of Eris) and GURPS lite. That plus some 3d6 and your set to go.
A few other free adventures might be nice for different genres.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #9
D351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Caravan of Eris
Never heard of this one... Would you happen to have a link?
Old 07-22-2012, 08:08 PM   #10
Refplace

Quote:
Never heard of this one... Would you happen to have a link?
http://e23.sjgames.com/item.html?id=SJG37-0031
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cardboard heroes