Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-18-2017, 07:55 AM   #1
InLaNoche

Default Need help with a few more powers...

Just rounding out the last of the powers available to the players of my little campaign.

I need a bit of advice and assistance on the last few.
The powers in my world are Chi based. As one of the powers I want an attack that focuses on Chi. So those stronger in Chi take more damage. I would like to make the damage based as a fraction of the Chi level of opponents, and possibly make it scale-able. For instance, at the lower levels of this power, sa successful hit (allowing for HT save) would do ST-Based damage + 1/10 defender's Chi score. At higher levels the 1/10 would go up to 1/8, 1/6, 1/5.

Another one I was looking for was similar to Leech, but I would prefer it to leech Chi, instead of HP.
InLaNoche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:16 AM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: Need help with a few more powers...

It seems really unintuitive that this sort of thing should exist. It's as if you had a physical attack that did more damage to those who have higher DR, or to those who have more HP. "When I punch J. Jonah Jameson it does 1d-1, but when I punch the Hulk it does 50d!" That sounds odd, and I'm not sure it's any less odd when it applies to chi.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:19 AM   #3
InLaNoche

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
It seems really unintuitive that this sort of thing should exist. It's as if you had a physical attack that did more damage to those who have higher DR, or to those who have more HP. "When I punch J. Jonah Jameson it does 1d-1, but when I punch the Hulk it does 50d!" That sounds odd, and I'm not sure it's any less odd when it applies to chi.
The idea is that you are poisoning the chi within the person. Maybe seen as a repeated attack of a set number of turns defined by their chi level at a set value (2 dmg)
Old 05-18-2017, 08:38 AM   #4
Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLaNoche View Post
The idea is that you are poisoning the chi within the person. Maybe seen as a repeated attack of a set number of turns defined by their chi level at a set value (2 dmg)
I don't think of people with Chi Talent as having "more chi," I think of them as being better at channeling their chi. If anything, Chi Talent would make you more resistant to an attack like this, since it makes you more able to control your chi and prevent the "poisoning" from happening!
Of course you're welcome to imagine chi working however you want. But as a player I would feel kind of tricked if I'd spent points on an ability like Chi Talent only to have it hurt me.
Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:43 AM   #5
InLaNoche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
I don't think of people with Chi Talent as having "more chi," I think of them as being better at channeling their chi. If anything, Chi Talent would make you more resistant to an attack like this, since it makes you more able to control your chi and prevent the "poisoning" from happening!
Of course you're welcome to imagine chi working however you want. But as a player I would feel kind of tricked if I'd spent points on an ability like Chi Talent only to have it hurt me.
I get wher you are going here, I may back off on this, but still wonder if it is possible to work something like that out.

I see it as tapping into an existing power. Higher chi level means you can channel and store more of that power through your body. I'm still working in all the details, so things can still change, but there will probably be a talent to resist attacks that focus on Chi. For now, I am using HT saves.

I also don't care if this is expensive, it's supposed to be an upper level power.

Last edited by InLaNoche; 05-18-2017 at 08:50 AM. Reason: footnote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:00 AM   #6
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
As one of the powers I want an attack that focuses on Chi. So those stronger in Chi take more damage. I would like to make the damage based as a fraction of the Chi level of opponents, and possibly make it scale-able. For instance, at the lower levels of this power, sa successful hit (allowing for HT save) would do ST-Based damage + 1/10 defender's Chi score. At higher levels the 1/10 would go up to 1/8, 1/6, 1/5.
Exactly how are you measuring Chi score? Levels of a Talent? Something else?
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:39 AM   #7
InLaNoche

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Exactly how are you measuring Chi score? Levels of a Talent? Something else?
Sorry I guess that makes a big difference. Right now it starts equal to FP, but is bought (at same cost) independently. Again, this is just my starting idea, if it should be done differently, I am open to ideas.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:46 AM   #8
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Right now it starts equal to FP, but is bought (at same cost) independently.
Do Chi-wielders expend Chi points in using abilities? How many, for a few example abilities? How fast do they recover?
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:01 AM   #9
InLaNoche

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Do Chi-wielders expend Chi points in using abilities? How many, for a few example abilities? How fast do they recover?
It mimics FP in healing, and yes, all Chi base abilities cost at least 1 Chi. I may up this, as though they are made to make the game a bit more exciting, I don't want everyone flinging 'chi' all over the place, if you get what I mean. Some Chi powers can block or lessen the effect of other powers. Some give bonuses to defense, and there or other odd powers here and there. I'm amusing in an average duel (not masters) you may use 4-6 Chi powered abilities, ranging from attack to defense.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:14 AM   #10
Refplace

Buy an attack with higher levels of the attack having an accessibility limitation that requires a certain level of Chi energy in the target.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote