Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 06-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #11
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Sloth and Oblivion in the modern day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
If only Gluttony could be persuaded to cough the old Prince up ...
He's consuming Oblivion's Essence.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:17 PM   #12
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
He's consuming Oblivion's Essence.
Alternately, Oblivion is destroying what Haagenti eats, making it possible for him to be an even greater Glutton because he's always hungry... it's a symbiotic relationship!
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:13 PM   #13
cptbutton

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
Alternately, Oblivion is destroying what Haagenti eats, making it possible for him to be an even greater Glutton because he's always hungry... it's a symbiotic relationship!
Song of Bulimia?
cptbutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:16 PM   #14
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptbutton View Post
Song of Bulimia?
More like hyper metabolism than binging and purging.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #15
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
More like hyper metabolism than binging and purging.
Um it's not Gluttony if that was the case though, as Gluttony can exist in the face of insatiable need. as Gluttony is consuming past need.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:13 PM   #16
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
Um it's not Gluttony if that was the case though, as Gluttony can exist in the face of insatiable need. as Gluttony is consuming past need.
Not in Guprs, or in common usage. But I'm not up on the exact In Nomine definition.
A glutton could be someone that lies, cheats, or steals for their meal of choice. It's not all about obesity.
I am a glutton for diet Pepsi. Being poor, I have had to fight the urge to weaken my morals for just one more two liter. As I drink caffeine free as well, it isn't even a classic addiction. Quirk gluttony, probably in gurps terms.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:30 PM   #17
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Not in Guprs, or in common usage. But I'm not up on the exact In Nomine definition.
A glutton could be someone that lies, cheats, or steals for their meal of choice. It's not all about obesity.
It's not even about food. The In Nomine Prince basically is, but the Word presumably retains at least the potential to resonate with its older meaning. The sin of gluttony is about overemphasis of worldly pleasure - the audiophile wasting time better spent in prayer trying to coax a more pleasant sound out of his stereo system is as much a glutton as the fellows buying indulgences to eat butter during lent or guzzling the communion wine.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:03 PM   #18
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
It's not even about food. The In Nomine Prince basically is, but the Word presumably retains at least the potential to resonate with its older meaning. The sin of gluttony is about overemphasis of worldly pleasure - the audiophile wasting time better spent in prayer trying to coax a more pleasant sound out of his stereo system is as much a glutton as the fellows buying indulgences to eat butter during lent or guzzling the communion wine.
Yes. The contrast given in In Nomine is that demons of Greed want to own everything while demons of Gluttony want to consume everything ... even intangibles such as time. In that sense, Oblivion was metaphorically swallowed by Gluttony as well as literally.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:35 PM   #19
Mysteris

Quote:
All things that have form will break. Nothing is eternal. The world is transitory and impermanent; help it along its way.

Modern things that strengthen the word of Oblivion (some with a little prodding):
  • The reliance on digital media, which we know has a short lifespan compared to the printed word but we use anyway
  • The "epidemic" (because people are living longer) of Alzheimer's
  • The phenomenon of "hooking up" instead of dating, sending even short-term interpersonal relationships into the dustbin of history (this one takes some spin-doctoring, but it isn't a really huge stretch)
This I like! Nihlism but with a user-friendly packaging. I like the idea of people choosing oblivion out of convienence and a sense of never being able to catch up with all the things that need doing. So they cheat. They take shortcuts. And a little bit of themselves gets dissolved every time they do. Not even hard to package, for a media-savvy modern sort.
Mysteris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
demons, word-bound