Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-22-2013, 05:07 PM   #1
Dalillama

Default Willful Weapons

I was looking through my Best of Pyramid book the other day and found the article on Willful Weapons. I was wondering how folks would model that in 4e? (Summary: Weapons that have special powers, a purpose which they try to force the wielder to accomplish, and set circumstances where the powers won't work). Maybe some kind of Gadget-based IA that also gives disadvantages? Some weird Ally build? Is this already covered in a supplement I don't have? I may be getting a copy of Powers here fairly soon, and if so I might try to work out a build on my own to put up here.

Last edited by Dalillama; 08-23-2013 at 02:21 PM. Reason: add link
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:16 PM   #2
gilbertocarlos

Default Re: Willful Weapons

Thaumatology has rules for making objects as characters.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:08 PM   #3
jacobmuller

Thaumatology, pg116-120, does a great breakdown of options.
But the rules for creating it as an NPC Ally are in Basic too.
If you're looking for a weapon that enhances it's users abilities, Accessibility Limitation: Granted by familiar (-40%) may be the answer.
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:41 AM   #4
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertocarlos View Post
IIRC, what Thaumatology has is rules for how metagame entitites can choose to spend metagame currency, as opposed to the rules from GURPS Celtic Myth which is about how in-world characters can make in-character choices whose consequences are 100% in-world.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:29 AM   #5
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmuller View Post
Thaumatology, pg116-120, does a great breakdown of options.
But the rules for creating it as an NPC Ally are in Basic too.
If you're looking for a weapon that enhances it's users abilities, Accessibility Limitation: Granted by familiar (-40%) may be the answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertocarlos View Post
Hmm. Unfortunately, I'm unlikely to be able to get that one notably soon, although I'm betting that I can work out something pretty similar with a copy of Powers, which I've found used at a good rate. A more specific question goes to one of the traits that could be purchased for willful weapons: Never misses. Specifically, the weapon would always hit a target in range except on a critical failure. Would that just be loads of the Accurate enhancement, to get a big enough bonus to basically guarantee a hit in all feasible situations?
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #6
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
Hmm. Unfortunately, I'm unlikely to be able to get that one notably soon, although I'm betting that I can work out something pretty similar with a copy of Powers, which I've found used at a good rate. A more specific question goes to one of the traits that could be purchased for willful weapons: Never misses. Specifically, the weapon would always hit a target in range except on a critical failure. Would that just be loads of the Accurate enhancement, to get a big enough bonus to basically guarantee a hit in all feasible situations?
If you want to never miss, but also never crit, No Die Roll Required is a +100% Cosmic (put that on the "innate attack" the weapon uses for its attack).
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
apoc527

What good timing. I literally have a player who wants to play a Northman in Yrth who has a "willful weapon" like this. He wants it to grow with him, so I think the best choice is to build the weapon as an Ally. I will have to check out the rules in Thaumatology.

My question would be: how bad would it be to just use the Willful Weapons rules from here? (which I assume is what the OP is referring to)

Currently Playing: GURPS Banestorm: The Symmetry of Darkness

Inactive:
Star*Drive: 2525-Hunting for Fun and Profit
My THS Campaign-In the Shadows of Venus
Yrth--The Legend Begins
The XCOM Apocalypse
apoc527 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3rd edition, 4th edition, conversion, pyramid