Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-02-2012, 04:34 PM   #1
Wildcat

Default "A Song of Ice and Fire" characters

I've started creating stat blocks for some characters from the "A Song of Ice and Fire" book series. It's as much an exercise in creating NPCs as it is for having the stat blocks. I don't know if I'll ever have a game set in Westeros, but I want to get a feel for character creation.

For the time being, I'm counting Westeros as TL 3, with TL 4 plate armor and no gunpowder. Other cultures may have higher or lower TL.

I picked Gregor Clegane as the first character to create a write-up of, because he has a few notable characteristics that are easy enough to pick out. He certainly has Giantism [0], and he is said to wield a greatsword (I'm assuming thrusting greatsword) one-handed. Wielding his sword one-handed takes either ST 18 if it becomes unready after an attack or ST 24 if it remains ready. For now, I'm going with ST 24, but I could be convinced otherwise. He is also morally reprehensible, possibly deserving of some combination of Bad Temper, Bloodlust, Bully, Callous, and Sadism.

My biggest question is how to represent his social advantages/disadvantages. He's a landed knight, so he should have a positive Status, high starting wealth, probably some level of Independent Income. He definitely has a Duty (probably to Tywin Lannister), but I don't think Tywin counts as a Patron. I'm pretty sure he has some kind of Reputation, at least among nobles. What about Legal Enforcement Powers?

Here is what I have come up with so far:

Old version here

Spoiler:  
New version

Spoiler:  
What do you think about this write-up? What would you change? Are there any errors you see in it? What characters would people like to see down the road?

Last edited by Wildcat; 07-03-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #2
lexington

Default Re: "A Song of Ice and Fire" characters

He probably doesn't need all that Independent Income. For much of the series (all that I've read) he's actively doing his job for Tywin.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:22 PM   #3
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post

Ser Gregor Clegane, "The Mountain That Rides"

What do you think about this write-up? What would you change? Are there any errors you see in it? What characters would people like to see down the road?
Your grasp of basics appears sound. I'd worsen all his disads by one level though. He appears to have serious anger management issues indeed. Warhorses that can handle his bulk have to be exxpensive.

I mght lower his secondary weapon skuills by a point too. I'm sure he's terrifying. I'm not sure he's actually that skilled.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:21 PM   #4
Wildcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Your grasp of basics appears sound. I'd worsen all his disads by one level though. He appears to have serious anger management issues indeed. Warhorses that can handle his bulk have to be exxpensive.

I mght lower his secondary weapon skuills by a point too. I'm sure he's terrifying. I'm not sure he's actually that skilled.
I worsened his self-control for his disadvantages, and I lowered some of his skills. I also added his point value, although it may be a bit higher if he has to spend points to get all of his gear. In particular, his plate armor would be horribly expensive. It's described as being so thick and so heavy even a strong man would have difficulty moving in it, let alone fighting. I'm sure a destrier exceptional enough to carry The Mountain and his armor into combat costs several arms and legs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington
He probably doesn't need all that Independent Income. For much of the series (all that I've read) he's actively doing his job for Tywin.
But when Tywin doesn't unleash him, Ser Gregor needs a way to support his Status 3 (although his cost is only for Status 2 because of his Military Rank). And I don't imagine a landed knight like him having a "job" aside from war, unless he is able to live off ransoming horses and armor to the knights he defeats in jousts.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:32 PM   #5
NineDaysDead
Banned

I'd take Bloodlust all the way down to 6 or less; This is a man who murders helpless children.

IIRC (I'll Check this tomorrow) he's highly resistant to pain, I might consider adding DR (Crushing Only -40%; Tough Skin -40%) [1]; High Pain Threshold [10]; Hard to Subdue +2 [4]; Fit [5]; and Boosting HT.

I might consider dropping IQ and buying up some form of military talent, he's good at killing stuff, but that's all he's good at.

Buy up Will or maybe Fearlessness, and the brave perk.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:38 PM   #6
lexington

One habit I've gotten into is listing skills characters have no points in when they have an advantage/disadvantage/feature that effects them so that you don't forget about it.

For example Gregor has "Disguise (A) IQ-7 [0]" due to his Giantism. Relevant in this case because he can't hide from his crimes as easily as most people. This doesn't apply all that much to Gregor but it could matter to a PC.

In the same theme you missed that Giantism gives an unconditional +1 to Intimidation while Callous is actually a conditional bonus that only applies when he specifically shows off his cruelty.

It might be worth totaling up modifiers for reaction rolls for the same sort of quick reference.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:52 PM   #7
cosmicfish

Quote:
My biggest question is how to represent his social advantages/disadvantages. He's a landed knight, so he should have a positive Status, high starting wealth, probably some level of Independent Income. He definitely has a Duty (probably to Tywin Lannister), but I don't think Tywin counts as a Patron. I'm pretty sure he has some kind of Reputation, at least among nobles. What about Legal Enforcement Powers?
I think he SHOULD have independent income - nearly ALL nobles and landed knights will, and if I remember Gregor had inherited his family estate. I also think he should have Patron - the entire saga is basically about this interwoven thread of Patronage and Duty and nearly everyone (noble or not) will have some level of both. Ultimately, the best reference for this series will be Social Engineering - it is far more about the complex social interactions than it is about the combat.

Quote:
Looks good so far without the rest of the NPC's for comparison. I would echo the earlier poster who suggested a lower IQ, as it seemed from what I remember that Gregor was a bit of a stooge and never seemed to rise to even average intelligence, a stark contrast to the rather devious Hound.
cosmicfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:04 AM   #8
Wildcat

OK, I gave Clegane higher HT, a couple levels of both Fearlessness and Hard to Subdue, and High Pain Threshold, added Tywin Lannister as a patron, and worsened his Bloodlust.

Where can I find rules for cutting someone in half? Clegane is said to be capable of it with his sword, and I want to know if his 4d+3 swing damage is enough to accomplish it on the first swing against a perfectly average person.

Last edited by Wildcat; 07-03-2012 at 07:32 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:15 AM   #9
borithan

I am wondering if Gregor really should be ST 24. I am fairly sure the descriptions of the dual for Tyrion's life heavily suggests that that he has to ready his sword again when he makes an attack.

Last edited by borithan; 07-03-2012 at 07:23 AM.
borithan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:17 AM   #10
DocRailgun

The Cleganes may be landed knights but their family is looked down upon (if feared) by the established noble families. The Cleganes are little better than hedge knights... after all, the grandfather of the Mountain and the Hound was a kennel-keeper for the Lannisters.
The Starks have been nobles for 8000 years. 40 or so for the Cleganes is nothing. So, if they have a high Status it's because that's what the Lannisters want, rather... what Tywin wants. If Jaime or Tyrion were Lord Lannister the Cleganes would be out on their over-large ears... though I admit that is just conjecture.
So, I think Gregor also should have some sort of fairly-harsh negative social reputation.
Quote:
But when Tywin doesn't unleash him, Ser Gregor needs a way to support his Status 3 (although his cost is only for Status 2 because of his Military Rank). And I don't imagine a landed knight like him having a "job" aside from war, unless he is able to live off ransoming horses and armor to the knights he defeats in jousts.
DocRailgun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a song of ice and fire, game of thrones