Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-02-2016, 03:48 PM   #1
Minuteman37

Default [AtE] Custom Gatling Gun Specifications

Hey guys for my custom Fallout game I find myself needing a heavy anti-infantry weapon for the bandit factions to use. As of right now they're using sawed off shotguns, bolt-action rifles and semi-auto submachine guns Here's a link to my google sheet with the stats laid out. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Anyway though I'm looking for a heavier fixed emplacement weapon that bandits use to hold certain locations. Being that the bandits seem to be about TL5 in weaponry I thought a Gatling gun would be a natural choice.

This GG needs to meet certain requirements that none of the high tech entries seem to. Namely it needs to be large piercing to deal with all the creatures and bots in the setting that have injury tolerance unliving. Secondly to really take advantage of all the benefits a fully automatic weapon has it needs RoF 10 for four yard suppressive fire and that Plus 2 to hit. Besides that the GG needs to be as light and portable as possible as well as cheap as can be justified.
Minuteman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 04:54 PM   #2
tshiggins

Default Re: [AtE] Custom Gatling Gun Specifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuteman37 View Post
Hey guys for my custom Fallout game I find myself needing a heavy anti-infantry weapon for the bandit factions to use. As of right now they're using sawed off shotguns, bolt-action rifles and semi-auto submachine guns Here's a link to my google sheet with the stats laid out. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Anyway though I'm looking for a heavier fixed emplacement weapon that bandits use to hold certain locations. Being that the bandits seem to be about TL5 in weaponry I thought a Gatling gun would be a natural choice.

This GG needs to meet certain requirements that none of the high tech entries seem to. Namely it needs to be large piercing to deal with all the creatures and bots in the setting that have injury tolerance unliving. Secondly to really take advantage of all the benefits a fully automatic weapon has it needs RoF 10 for four yard suppressive fire and that Plus 2 to hit. Besides that the GG needs to be as light and portable as possible as well as cheap as can be justified.
I'm not sure what your question is, here, but maybe the answer is to think outside the box, a bit, and take a look at history:

http://bronzecannons.net/gettysburg_gun.html

Look at the Bourges Mle 1853, 12-pounder (France, 1853-1860). These were the standard cannon used during the U.S. Civil War, and were called "Napoleon Guns," then.

The stats appear on p 138 of my copy of GURPS: High Tech. Have a couple of these with interlocking fields of fire, and put a load of canister in each.

Mechanically, they're much simpler to create than a gatling, and if all you're worried about is charging hoards of tough mutants, a 12-pound shotgun shell will alleviate most of those concerns, in a righteous fashion.

Moreover, they're not that hard to make. If you have the materials, and the ability to cast a bell, then you can make a cannon.

Of course, you could always find one on display in front of a state legislature or military museum, somewhere, bore out the lead used to clog the barrel, and hope the bronze is still good.

Heck, even if you don't dare load more than about half a charge, you still have an effective weapon against charging barbarians -- until it blows up in your face.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:51 PM   #3
Minuteman37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
I'm not sure what your question is, here,
...I'm asking someone who knows how to stat guns in GURPS to stat a theoretical Gatling Gun that fires at least 10 .40 caliber bullets in a second, but is as light as possible at that TL.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:23 PM   #4
acrosome

Nothing theoretical- it's all in High-Tech. Stats are right there.

The standard M1874 Gatling in High-Tech is RoF 15 in .45-70. 200 pounds.

The M1866 Gatling has RoF 10. It's .50-70 caliber. 224 pounds.

The M1883 Gatling (also .45-70) could be set up with a gearbox on the rear giving RoF 25, though it dropped Malf to 13. 237 pounds.

The British Gatling Mk. I had RoF 13, in .450 Gardner. 200 pounds.

With a car starter and a battery you might be able to power one, for ridiculously high RoF.

They probably are "as light as possible for that TL." >40+ cal rifle barrels aren't exactly light- and the M1874 has ten of them- nor is the mechanism to spin them with enough gearing to achieve that high RoF.

Or, for something simpler, how about a mitrailleuse?

Or are you asking about a gatling in .40S&W or something odd like that?

Last edited by acrosome; 11-02-2016 at 06:44 PM.
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 07:35 PM   #5
Minuteman37

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosome View Post
Nothing theoretical- it's all in High-Tech. Stats are right there.

The standard M1874 Gatling in High-Tech is RoF 15 in .45-70. 200 pounds.

The M1866 Gatling has RoF 10. It's .50-70 caliber. 224 pounds.

The M1883 Gatling (also .45-70) could be set up with a gearbox on the rear giving RoF 25, though it dropped Malf to 13. 237 pounds.

The British Gatling Mk. I had RoF 13, in .450 Gardner. 200 pounds.

With a car starter and a battery you might be able to power one, for ridiculously high RoF.

They probably are "as light as possible for that TL." >40+ cal rifle barrels aren't exactly light- and the M1874 has ten of them- nor is the mechanism to spin them with enough gearing to achieve that high RoF.

Or, for something simpler, how about a mitrailleuse?

Or are you asking about a gatling in .40S&W or something odd like that?
I'm asking for a few things which I'll go into greater detail with.

Firstly a gating gun with RoF 10. No more becouse ammo wast is a concern and I don't want these bandits to be too deadly for my PCs or have Loot that is too desirable, but no less becouse I feel RoF 10 is the point where a fully automatic weapon really comes into it's own nitch. The Bandits have semi-auto .45 acp carbines for some minor mobile fire suppression, but this larger emplacement should be able to outshine those carbines.

Secondly This game has an abundance of enemies with Injury Tolerance Unliving so in order for this gun to really be effective against heaver infantry it's going to need to be large piercing. Upon doing more probing into the adversaries these bandits could come across I've set up some upper bounds for this weapons performance.

The biggest baddest Super Mutant that these bandits would expect to come across has DR 11(9 from plate armor and another 2 from TS), HT 12, HP 14 and ITU.

The average Super Mutant has DR 4(3from plate and another 1 from TS), HT 11, 13 HP and ITU.

The most common Bot that could be used against the Bandits has DR10, HT12, 20HP and ITU.

Finally this Gatling platform needs to be as light and cheap as possible to justify it being as prevalent as I can get away with so if the performance of this GG greatly exceeds our other requirements it should be pulled back to more reasonable levels in exchange for less weight, cheaper construction and greater portability.

Am I making any sense here?
Old 11-02-2016, 08:26 PM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Well min-maxing GURPS rapid fire bonuses isn't something that anybody actually can do in your setting.

That said, why isn't the M1866 the weapon you are looking for?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 08:45 PM   #7
Minuteman37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Well min-maxing GURPS rapid fire bonuses isn't something that anybody actually can do in your setting.
It's done for gamiest reasons more so then simealist reasons, but regardless I think 10 rounds a second is a nice target number for in setting gun smiths to shoot for and makes book keeping simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
That said, why isn't the M1866 the weapon you are looking for?
I didn't actually crunch the numbers for the opponents I outlined till right after I posted and the M1866 does look like it meets my requirements quite nicely.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:23 PM   #8
AmesJainchill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuteman37 View Post
Secondly This game has an abundance of enemies with Injury Tolerance Unliving so in order for this gun to really be effective against heaver infantry it's going to need to be large piercing.

The average Super Mutant has DR 4(3from plate and another 1 from TS), HT 11, 13 HP and ITU.
What in the world is your justification for giving Super Mutants Injury Tolerance: Unliving? They are neither zombies nor machines? Wouldn't they be better simulated with high HT, HP and some DR?
AmesJainchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:28 PM   #9
mr beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmesJainchill View Post
What in the world is your justification for giving Super Mutants Injury Tolerance: Unliving? They are neither zombies nor machines? Wouldn't they be better simulated with high HT, HP and some DR?
GURPS is about effects rather than names though. If the desired effect is 'resistant to arrows, spears and bullets', then IT:U is a reasonable choice.

EDIT

A PC in my low point Supers campaign had IT: U (amongst other things), fluff was that his body was able to re-route vital functions to other organs. So poking small holes through him was somewhat ineffective, whereas hacking chunks off or setting him on fire would work a lot better.

Last edited by mr beer; 11-02-2016 at 11:37 PM.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 06:54 AM   #10
mlangsdorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmesJainchill View Post
Presumably they have the Redundant Organs mutation (Wastelanders p 27). It's a reasonable thing in AtE.