Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-05-2017, 02:24 PM   #1
Desthro

Default [Limitations] Costs Character Point

I can't seem to find this anywhere, I remember digging it up at some point, and using it. . . But I can't for the life of me remember where.
Desthro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:34 PM   #2
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: [Limitations] Costs Character Point

I believe the most detailed treatment of this is currently in Power-Ups 5: Impulse Buys, "Character Point-Powered Abilities", pp. 13-15.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 03:19 PM   #3
Desthro

Huh, so it's a flat x1/5 cost regardless of how many CP are used to power it. I can get behind that...
Old 12-05-2017, 05:59 PM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desthro View Post
Huh, so it's a flat x1/5 cost regardless of how many CP are used to power it. I can get behind that...
Do note that it plainly states the GM can charge MORE if he feels it's appropriate.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:36 PM   #5
Anaraxes

Quote:
it's a flat x1/5 cost
Also recall that the 1/5th prices are not the same as -80% Limitations. They're applied in a separate step, after the modifiers.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:05 AM   #6
Desthro

Yeah, 1/5x is a pretty typical standard in GURPS for blanket "useful but only in extremely weak circumstances" like with alternate abilities, CP Powered Powers, and what not.

I was interested in using Spells as Advantages, and wanted to allow enchanting, but without recreating the wheel. I found a post here that had a cumulative Affliction wit have variable enhancement enhancement for a point, and it seemed legit. So I figured why not let them power the enchanting "spell" with a CP for an even CP to CP "trade", with maybe an 8hr prep time. Then, you can use the gadget rules to create the "enchanted items" and when the it has the required "CP" the enchantment is finished and functions.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:21 AM   #7
Bruno

Quote:
Huh, so it's a flat x1/5 cost regardless of how many CP are used to power it.
No, it's a flat x1/5 and you have to spend either 1 point, 2 points, to a range between 3 and 1/5th the advantages base price depending on how appropriate this invocation of the ability is.

The number needed to power it is not something you can write down when you create the ability; it's subject to those rules (page 13) every time you try to use it.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:49 AM   #8
Desthro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
No, it's a flat x1/5 and you have to spend either 1 point, 2 points, to a range between 3 and 1/5th the advantages base price depending on how appropriate this invocation of the ability is.

The number needed to power it is not something you can write down when you create the ability; it's subject to those rules (page 13) every time you try to use it.
Which is exactly what I said, even if the understanding wasn't completely accurate. So what if the rule says it's a variable CP cost depending on how it is invoked? The point is, it's a variable CP cost, minimum 1, it cuts the value if the advantage by 1/5th regardless of the amount of CP spent to activate it, and as the GM I can strictly forbid it from being used in any manner that isn't how I proscribed.

If I want to write in: Costs 1 CP, x1/5; along with all the other modifiers, I am perfectly free to do so. I could even make it say "Costs 2, 3, 4 or 5000 CP, x1/5;" if it was necessary. I could even write in multiple scenarios, Costs X CP (1 when you bring food for the players; 2 when you bring drinks for the players; 3 when you are being a moocher; and 4 if you owe someone money and haven't paid them back yet), x1/5. The point made was it's a flat x1/5 cost regardless of the number of CP spent to power the ability. Which, as you pointed out, is the GMs prerogative, as always.