Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-21-2016, 09:27 PM   #1
shyxguy

Default Shaman like character.

I will start out by saying the concept for the charater then I will ask the question in hopes it makes sense.

I want to make a Shaman like character that is built with 10 St, 10, Dx, 12 Iq, and 10 Ht, just a slightly smarter average guy. The big thing about this character is he can summon three spirit allies that will posses him, I assume at a cost of some kind to even it out, and once possesed my charater gains the strengths of the spirit. An example would me he summons a wolf spirit and basically gains werewolf like traits.

My GM is thinking of the ways he would want to go about handling this but I was wanting to see if you guys had any ideas?

Thanks for any thoughts and ideas that may come :)
shyxguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:39 PM   #2
trooper6

Default Re: Shaman like character.

Sounds like alternate form to me.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:51 PM   #3
shyxguy

I had thought about Alternate Form but wasn't sure as we are not allowed to be monsterous characters in this campaign and so I knew I couldn't do a ture lycanthrop, that and I don't know much about Alternate Form. In what book can I find Alternate Form?
Old 08-21-2016, 10:25 PM   #4
AmesJainchill

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyxguy View Post
I had thought about Alternate Form but wasn't sure as we are not allowed to be monsterous characters in this campaign and so I knew I couldn't do a ture lycanthrop, that and I don't know much about Alternate Form. In what book can I find Alternate Form?
It's in Characters. I think it's at the back of the Advantages section.
AmesJainchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:34 PM   #5
Refplace

GURPS Thaumatology has a power it brought forth from GURPS Voodoo called Spirit Vessel. This is pretty much exactly what your describing.
The possessing or channeled spirit grants powers (and likely personality changes) based on its own nature.
Spirit Vessel is really Alternate Form
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:35 PM   #6
starslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyxguy View Post
It sounds like you need to sit down with your GM and go over your concept and make sure its going to fly in the campaign. Alternate form IS the advantage for 'your a werewolf' but it can represent a lot of things (I have used it to represent extremely cinematic martial arts 'stances' or fighting forms).
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:50 PM   #7
shyxguy

I think the Spirit Vessel is exactly what I was looking for. I will go over this next session with my GM. Thank you for the help :)
Old 08-21-2016, 11:12 PM   #8
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
GURPS Thaumatology has a power it brought forth from GURPS Voodoo called Spirit Vessel. This is pretty much exactly what your describing.
The possessing or channeled spirit grants powers (and likely personality changes) based on its own nature.
Spirit Vessel is really Alternate Form
Gurps Shapeshifters 3rd edition had ethomorphs like classic Jekyl and Hyde where the main differences were mental and moral not physical.
Even turning into a different mundane person is Alternate Form.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:20 PM   #9
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Gurps Shapeshifters 3rd edition had ethomorphs like classic Jekyl and Hyde where the main differences were mental and moral not physical.
Even turning into a different mundane person is Alternate Form.
Yes, but I am pretty sure I have the timing right and GURPS Voodoo was before that. Also it spoke directly to his stated goal which is why I used that reference.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 02:00 AM   #10
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Yes, but I am pretty sure I have the timing right and GURPS Voodoo was before that. Also it spoke directly to his stated goal which is why I used that reference.
I was merely addressing the issue that shapeshifting or Alternate Form does not literally have to alter one's outward form/shape/appearance.