Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-12-2018, 09:03 AM   #11
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: [Martial Arts] Roll With Blow - Passive or Active?

While we're talking about roll with the blow and its finer details, roll with the blow instructs its user to make a DX roll at -1 per yard of knockback to avoid falling down. This is in contrast to the basic set, which has you roll against the highest of DX, Judo, or Acrobatics.

Are those two rolls the same roll?
Can you use acrobatics or Judo to make that roll to avoid falling down? It seems odd that you can't use a skill that the technique is based on to avoid falling down when you use it.

I know that as a GM I can just say yes to both questions, and I have in the past, but I'd like to know the official answer.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:53 AM   #12
Plane

Another question, if it is a separate roll which can't default to those skills, is if you ALWAYS roll it, even if you don't suffer knockback from the doubled-for-that-purpose damage, since it doesn't say only to roll it if you get knocked back like the usual knockback roll.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 11:45 AM   #13
evileeyore
Banned

My hot take is that the follow-up DX roll from rolling with the blow (even if you don't move) is a replacer. It replaces the normal allowance of allowing Acrobatics or Judo.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 12:01 PM   #14
Plane

So you always make an initial DX check to see if you reduce damage and potentially move further, and a 2nd DX check to see if you fall? Even if the attack only did 2 damage and 4 damage isn't enough to knock you back 1 yard (ST 7+)
Old 12-12-2018, 04:58 PM   #15
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
So you always make an initial DX check to see if you reduce damage and potentially move further, and a 2nd DX check to see if you fall? Even if the attack only did 2 damage and 4 damage isn't enough to knock you back 1 yard (ST 7+)
You make a Roll With Blow check to reduce damage, this to me indicates you are rolling with the blow even if you don't move.

Then you roll DX to keep from falling down, probably because even if you don't leave your hex you are violently swaying or jerking away from the hit.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:20 AM   #16
Plane

I was thinking that since Roll With Blow is a technique, it would cost 1 AP to do if using the Last Gasp rules. I wasn't sure if DX checks to avoid falling down should. Is that ever defined anywhere as a technique?

Other DX checks like "Evade" eventually got made into techniques, and I know you can roll against Kicking instead of DX to avoid falling on a missed kick, so a technique for avoiding falling down from Knockback (particularly on RWB which doesn't mention being able to sub Acrobatics or Judo) would be something valuable.