Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-13-2015, 08:23 PM   #31
dcarson

Default Re: A Question about the perk “Named Possession”

Also helps with frequency for reputation. People KNOW who you are when you draw that sword.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 10:05 PM   #32
RobKamm

I've used it in several games, but I don't treat the enchantment quite as described. This is from my GM Notes for the last campaign that used them (pre-DF). These were for Named Weapons but could have applied to (and probably expanded for) other types of equipment.

Quote:
Weapons gain (25) points of enchantment for each session that they get used.
They gain an additional (25 point) credit if the PC using the weapon gains an extra CP for combat related reasons.
If the weapon is used with a Critical Hit, the weapon gains another (10) of enchantment immediately.
Weapons that slay foes worth 150 points or more gain a 10 point credit, +5 more points for every 50 additional character points (200-249 = 15 credit). Foes that are not character point counted should have an equivalent "power level" assigned by the GM.
In any session in which a character's Reputation for fighting is improved, even temporarily and assuming the weapon was used the weapon gains an additional 25 points of enchantment.
Named weapons used in major open field battles (using the mass combat system) automatically gain an additional 5 X the owning character's degree of success on their Glory roll (negatives only subtract from the weapons enchantment, even disenchanting if necessary, if the Glory modifier selected is negative) or their Glory Modifier (whichever is greater).
The credits will automatically go to one enchantment (so it will take effect sooner), after that the credits go to whatever enchantment seems most appropriate for what happened during the session. Either reflecting the successes or significant failures with the weapon.
For the points, this campaign started with 150 point characters, so the 10-point credit was for henchmen and bosses not mooks.

It may not work for everyone but it gave us a systematic way to improve those weapons. Which enchantments each weapon got was up to me as the GM. But I tried to match how the players were using them. For example the player named one weapon "Helmsplitter" its first enchantment was Penetrating Weapon, "Orcscythe" got Puissance to start. Another one, not remembering the name right now, was frequently used to select hit locations and got Accuracy and was almost up to Accuracy +2 and Defending Weapon +1 when we stopped playing.
RobKamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 11:38 PM   #33
Alden Loveshade

One thing I was surprised not to see (maybe I missed it) was the point equivalent to Ally.

A 150-point PC for 1 pt. can start with a 7-point Ally (7.5 rounded down) that's available constantly. No matter what the PC does, if his points go up so do the Ally's (as a percentage, in this case 5% as from Basic and Supers).

A 150-point PC for 1 pt. starts with an Named Possession worth 0 pts.

To begin with, having an Ally is a lot better deal. So it makes perfect sense to me that the Named Possession would, on the average, increase as fast or, actually, faster than an Ally's points.
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 05:25 PM   #34
scc

What makes people say that Named Possession can't be taken in DF? Now using the award guides from DF3 I've highlighted the circumstances that I think would give CP to Named Possessions.

Quote:
• Fodder, clearly weaker than PCs: 0 points.
• Worthy monsters, about equal to PCs: 1 point.*
• Boss monster, clearly more powerful than PCs: 2 points.**
Modify this as follows (minimum 0):
• Hordes of monsters (lots of fodder§, boss and fodder, etc.):+1 point.
• Party members killed: -1 point/death.
Impressive Feats: Overcoming noncombat challenges may give everyone a reward:
• Defeating important traps and obstacles in a clever way that surprises GM (never just “I roll vs. Traps.”): 1 point.¹
• Exorcising cursed area without any PC getting cursed: 1 point (not just for the cleric – the others must guard him!).²
• Finding and entering secret area GM has designated a “bonus area”: 1 point. ¹
• Finding and extracting item GM has designated a “quest item”: 1 point.
• Negotiation or trickery that successfully avoids a deadly foe (e.g., The Devil): 1 point³
* Every time you defeat a reoccurring enemy, such as agents from the ninja clan the PC's angered or a single rival do count, in the case of a rival victory might not even be needed.
** The more important the boss the better the case, just some nasty living in a dungeon doesn't matter, but some who's been sending out raiding parties DOES
§While individual weak monsters don't count, defeating entire armies should count more then anything else on this list.
¹ A thief with a Named Possession that aids in thief activities should get this if he gets into somewhere he really shouldn't be able to.
² A cleric with a Holy Symbol may be eligible, especially if the area was concestracted to a god hostile to his, and if the fight to protect him was intense, the others may be eligible.
³ Should never be an option unless the item would help you.

Not appearing on the above list would be performing an act of thaumatoloical significance, like sealing away a demon.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantacy, named possession