Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-18-2012, 06:12 PM   #1
Wildcat

Default [Magic] Hit location for "rain" spells

I just got Magic. I really like the expanded spell choices, but some leave me with questions. Particularly, I like the various "rain of X" spells as a choice for a battlefield warmage. Rain of Stone (or Fire, etc.) are a great way to either damage or scatter enemy troop formations. The problem I encounter is wondering what hit location those spells deal their damage to. The ones I've seen so far say they're affected by armor, but armor can be different between different locations. So if there are foes wearing DR 5 torso armor but no helmets ... do they get DR 5 (torso) or DR 2 (skull)? I think torso and skull would be the reasonable locations to hit.
Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:15 PM   #2
Polydamas

Default Re: [Magic] Hit location for "rain" spells

I would just use the random hit location table for simplicity. If it bothers you, assume that the fire or stones or whatever come down at an angle, like rain blown in the wind.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:20 PM   #3
Ulzgoroth

Isn't there a bit somewhere on how the Random Hit Table adapts to lengthwise attacks? I'd have to dig for it but I think I remember it...
Old 04-18-2012, 08:48 PM   #4
vierasmarius

I'd actually treat them as Large-Area Injuries (B400). This means that they are protected by the average DR of their Torso and their least armored location, and that the damage (usually) doesn't affect any specific hit location (so no Vitals or Skull hits).
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:55 PM   #5
Wildcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
I'd actually treat them as Large-Area Injuries (B400). This means that they are protected by the average DR of their Torso and their least armored location, and that the damage (usually) doesn't affect any specific hit location (so no Vitals or Skull hits).
That sounds like a reasonable ruling. I haven't read the Campaigns book as thoroughly as I probably should have, so I hadn't seen the rules for Large-Area Injuries. I'll go check that out, thanks.
Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:40 PM   #6
DemiBenson

I'd use the random locations, but reroll anything other than face, skull, or shoulders, and then take the second roll. Simulating that the head and shoulders are most likely strike zones for overhead attacks, but it's still possible that any other body part would happen to be sticking out, or that a ricochet hits a lower target.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:59 PM   #7
Gurps Fan

That's all in the books. Powers-wise, "Rain of Something"-type attack abilities are all Innate Attacks modified with Bombardment limitation and Overhead enhancement (e.g., Rain of Stones ability, Powers, p. 139). Basic Set says:
Quote:
Originally Posted by p. B111 (on Bombardment)
Determine hit location randomly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by p. B400 (on random hit locations)
If a random attack comes from directly above, treat "feet" as "hands" and "legs" as "arms."
I don't think the Large Area Injury rules are appropriate here. It's true that a "Rain of Something" is an area attack, but the Large Area Injury rules are intended for situations that a single impact covers the victim's full body (like falling damage), not ones that small, discrete projectiles are distributed over the affected area.
Gurps Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:10 PM   #8
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurps Fan View Post
That's all in the books. Powers-wise, "Rain of Something"-type attack abilities are all Innate Attacks modified with Bombardment limitation and Overhead enhancement (e.g., Rain of Stones ability, Powers, p. 139).
We're discussing the "Rain of X" spells from Magic, which are notably not Bombardment, though they are Overhead. They inflict damage automatically on all targets in the area, though there are special conditions (overhead cover, which can include a shield) which block the damage.

Quote:
I don't think the Large Area Injury rules are appropriate here. It's true that a "Rain of Something" is an area attack, but the Large Area Injury rules are intended for situations that a single impact covers the victim's full body (like falling damage), not ones that small, discrete projectiles are distributed over the affected area.
I'd use the Large Area rules mostly for simplicity. If the spells were actually treated as Bombardment, perhaps with a number of hits based on the Margin of Success, then it would make more sense to roll for hit locations. As it is, I don't think the extra dice rolls are warranted.

That said, feel free to alter the spells to actually be Bombardment attacks. It would fit pretty well thematically with how they're described, and with how they're portrayed in fiction.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:40 PM   #9
Gurps Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
We're discussing the "Rain of X" spells from Magic, which are notably not Bombardment, though they are Overhead. They inflict damage automatically on all targets in the area, though there are special conditions (overhead cover, which can include a shield) which block the damage.
I know that, but we all know Magic sometimes adopts idiosyncrasy that works differently from the rest of the current 4e GURPS -- purely for historical reasons. I don't think it's reasonable that "Rain of X" spells should behave differently from "Rain of X" advantages for the sole reason that they are written in Magic.

I'd simply assume that "Rain of X" spells have an intrinsic special limitation "Bombardment, No die roll required, -0%", and use the rule on p. B111 ("Determine hit location randomly.").
Gurps Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:29 AM   #10
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurps Fan View Post
I know that, but we all know Magic sometimes adopts idiosyncrasy that works differently from the rest of the current 4e GURPS -- purely for historical reasons. I don't think it's reasonable that "Rain of X" spells should behave differently from "Rain of X" advantages for the sole reason that they are written in Magic.
You can totally build an advantage with Overhead and Area, and not with Bombardment. But the only way I can visualize that as a sustained effect is more a "torrent of X", or "tropical downpour of X" spell... :D
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote