Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 08-25-2004, 07:29 AM   #21
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Default Re: How many IN gamers are goths?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlecerule
Ever met a Glittergoth? :)
"..."

Actually, I'm not sure I've ever met a non-glittery goth, either...
Old 08-26-2004, 04:59 AM   #22
ravenb

I think the bumper sticker I saw at GenCon this weekend sums it up:

I'd be a Goth, but I can't afford to shop at Hot Topic

:)

The Goth scene has always struck me as another humorous attempt at rebelling-in-unison, an attempt to be "different" that is so focused that you end up being just like ten zillion other disaffected kids. It's particularly funny when you consider that most Goths seem to be kids whining about how much life sucks in spite of the fact that they never had to face Vietnam, the Cold War, the World Wars, the Great Depression, etc., etc. The worst hardship most of these kids have had to face is a crappy home life, and our grandparents could tell you horror stories about that sort of thing, too.

About the only thing I'll say for the Goths is that black leather is sexy and vampires are pretty cool. As far as the rest is concerned -- grow up, kids. :)

--Raven
Old 09-03-2004, 03:08 PM   #23
Voriof

I don't know about the Goth part but...

...why is it that every bloody Malkim that shows up for my games is an obsessed loner who wears a trenchcoat and carries a katana under it?

Why God, why?!?

Voriof - okay, one of them had a shotgun under it but that's an exception
Voriof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 03:32 PM   #24
Jennifer

Don't look at me, my PC Malakite was a Girl Scout.
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 03:37 PM   #25
Voriof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer
Cool. Mine was the happiest celestial around - he had a dream job, doing what he was supposed to do for a guy he liked. Cheerful Malakim are (apparently) highly unnerving, I've been told.

Oh, and he wore Nikes.

Voriof
Old 09-03-2004, 03:58 PM   #26
Jennifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer
Which gives away one of the answers to my post on the "Atypical Celestials" thread. D'oh!
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 04:51 PM   #27
Captain Spaulding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voriof
...why is it that every bloody Malkim that shows up for my games is an obsessed loner who wears a trenchcoat and carries a katana under it?
I've never played IN as such, but I did an "angels" game with HeroQuest. The nearest equivalent to a Malakim was a happy-go-lucky palaeontoligist who "liked watching mortals" and was the angel of broken bones.
Old 09-03-2004, 06:26 PM   #28
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Quote:
...why is it that every bloody Malakite that shows up for my games is an obsessed loner who wears a trenchcoat and carries a katana under it?
Um... I dunno. I mean, I've had, well, the Girl Scout (who tended to wander 'round nude, like her Archangel), a drummer with a speech... eccentricity, someone who's intent on proving to Dark Humor that laughter was the better Word... And then there's Zeke, who "just totes books"; Kathriel, the Angel of Sculpting, who sorta adopted a little Balseraph in SSO; Samachiah of the pink mohawk (not his idea) who is developing entertainingly; Danny, Malakite (fruitcake) of Judgment who showed up in my IN IOU game and wanted very much to spank the Shedite of the Game he found (and its host), and flirted with the teacher from Amber environs...

Hm. I don't know if any of the Malakim I "associate with" (as my PCs, NPCs, or other people's PCs) are *loners* -- well, maybe the one from Dark Victory, but not obsessive about it. They tend to be gregarious, like wolfpacks. Even the ones tucking weapons under their trenchcoats. See also the Eighth Virtue from You Are Here?
Old 09-03-2004, 08:10 PM   #29
Voriof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Beth

Hm. I don't know if any of the Malakim I "associate with" (as my PCs, NPCs, or other people's PCs) are *loners* -- well, maybe the one from Dark Victory, but not obsessive about it. They tend to be gregarious, like wolfpacks. Even the ones tucking weapons under their trenchcoats. See also the Eighth Virtue from You Are Here?
(nekkid envy!!) Wish I could say the same. I'll keep the points to mind next time I do encounter the problem - they're much appreciated.

Voriof - who's just a shepherd boy
Old 09-04-2004, 10:31 AM   #30
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Quote:
(nekkid envy!!) Wish I could say the same. I'll keep the points to mind next time I do encounter the problem - they're much appreciated.
Quite seriously, if it's not a case of "the player(s) in question always play(s) a loner with a gun under his coat," you might try telling them about the Eighth Virtue, to counteract the subliminal impression given by the art in the core rules (which has a dark, brooding fellow with a knife), and play up the "Jordi's Malakim are pack animals" thing -- Malakim are angels and love to gang up on demons; they work alone just because they often don't have time to get a few buddies to share the fun.

Tags
meta