Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 07-16-2011, 03:35 AM   #101
Grey_Fox

Default Re: [OOC] The Marching Storm

version 3 of the spreadsheet is up on google docs, i added the calculations for logistics.

Which brings me to a problem, having a look at the numbers, the current Simonton forces total $186,000 per month of maintenance, with $100,000 per month income i am thinking we will not be raising too many extras with that $600,000 in the treasury, i think we may need to to pay our guys in a few months lol =P (admittedly during campaigning season they only cost $93,000 but still ouch lol)

Also i thought i might plot out on the map which towns are on which sides of the war, it's rather eye opening. The map I did is up HERE, Red is Rebels, Blue is Royalists, Yellow is Neutral, and Purple is conquered (Blythe by lizardmen and Harkwood by the Elves), seems we are in are rather sticky situation =P. Should be fun to see how this all turns out

Last edited by Grey_Fox; 07-16-2011 at 04:26 AM.
Grey_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 04:29 AM   #102
Harry O'Gane

Here is the unfinished map of the area of Simonton. Over 9000 hours in MS paint.

The castle on the leftside, near the border, is Simonton Castle. I need to put the names of certain areas and so on, but basically, this is what it looks like. The mile measure on the left bottom is full line for 20 miles, half the line for 10 miles.

Also, I forgot to mention one important fact. The Simonton barony receives $220,000 on a daily basis. Ergo, each month you'll get 220K, which you may use for maintaing the troops and use that extra cash for things only directly tied for army maintaining, repairing etc.

To make thing simple, each time you take over some kind of a farmfield, a mill, a fief of any sort, your monthly income increases. The 600K, your "War Chest", is put there just so you can start off with something.

EDIT: Higher resolution.

Marko

Last edited by Harry O'Gane; 07-16-2011 at 05:06 AM.
Harry O'Gane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:00 AM   #103
Grey_Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry O'Gane View Post
Here is the unfinished map of the area of Simonton. Over 9000 hours in MS paint.

The castle on the leftside, near the border, is Simonton Castle. I need to put the names of certain areas and so on, but basically, this is what it looks like. The mile measure on the left bottom is full line for 20 miles, half the line for 10 miles.

Also, I forgot to mention one important fact. The Simonton barony receives $220,000 on a daily basis. Ergo, each month you'll ket 220K, which you may use for maintaing the troops and use that extra cash for things only directly tied for army maintaining, repairing etc.

To make thing simple, each time you take over some kind of a farmfield, a mill, a fief of any sort, your monthly income increases. The 600K, your "War Chest", is put there just so you can start off with something.

EDIT: Higher resolution.

Marko
awesome, i might start seeing what i can do to build an army mwhahahaha, next stop world domination!

P.S. cool map btw =)
Old 07-16-2011, 05:05 AM   #104
Harry O'Gane

Major error. Instead of 220K /day it should be 220K/MONTH. Holy crap I am such a failure of a GM. xD

Marko
Harry O'Gane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:44 AM   #105
Grey_Fox

lol yeah i spotted that but I figured it was a typo =P
Old 07-16-2011, 05:59 AM   #106
Epic Kobold

I'm looking at historical tactics, and I'm thinking a whole mess of small, highly trained teams. 4-6 warriors and techies working in individual cells with us as the brains of the thing.

Apache, IRA , Ninja, Spetznaz, Vikings, William Wallice's boys, Zulu

All great fighters, legendary even. I'm looking for common threads.

1) They all fought for a cause that was bigger than them
2) They all fought to win, **** honor.
3) Grueling intensive training, in some cases starting at birth.
4) Small cells, hit and run/ shock and awe

Here's my thought at this point: We start taking back the places south of the river (What's the deal with Autheuil?). That covers factor #1, and makes #2 more likely.

Or, make some sort of deal with the Reptiles (possibly working with enslaved ones like Megalos did) and gain control of the south that way. That covers factors #2 and #3 with a hearty argument for #1. Also, eating the fallen tends to demoralize future opponents.

Combine with tech and it's on. A Reptile raid is scary. A Reptile raid assisted by gunfire from the rooftops and pipe bombs in the streets by way of the Gnomes you didn't think to look twice at is ****ing madness. In and out, blow up target building, assassinate target humanoid, and leave.

One way or another, our next step is to take over Photius, Oakwood and Donlis. Preferably in that order.

All the while we are posing as a new branch of the rebellion.At first, a welcome assist. By the end, the superior force that allows them to join with us.

Than we can attack the royalists on three fronts. They'll be forced to dance with the Reptiles in the desert (a fourth front?) or submit to us.

One step at a time, unconventional tactics, weapons and warriors. We'll chew through them all and sit in the throne ourselves.

No one need even know it was us leading the new rebellion until the final push.

Last edited by Epic Kobold; 07-16-2011 at 06:02 AM.
Epic Kobold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:13 AM   #107
Grey_Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic Kobold View Post
I'm looking at historical tactics, and I'm thinking a whole mess of small, highly trained teams. 4-6 warriors and techies working in individual cells with us as the brains of the thing.

Apache, IRA , Ninja, Spetznaz, Vikings, William Wallice's boys, Zulu

All great fighters, legendary even. I'm looking for common threads.

1) They all fought for a cause that was bigger than them
2) They all fought to win, **** honor.
3) Grueling intensive training, in some cases starting at birth.
4) Small cells, hit and run/ shock and awe

Here's my thought at this point: We start taking back the places south of the river (What's the deal with Autheuil?). That covers factor #1, and makes #2 more likely.

Or, make some sort of deal with the Reptiles (possibly working with enslaved ones like Megalos did) and gain control of the south that way. That covers factors #2 and #3 with a hearty argument for #1. Also, eating the fallen tends to demoralize future opponents.

Combine with tech and it's on. A Reptile raid is scary. A Reptile raid assisted by gunfire from the rooftops and pipe bombs in the streets by way of the Gnomes you didn't think to look twice at is ****ing madness. In and out, blow up target building, assassinate target humanoid, and leave.

One way or another, our next step is to take over Photius, Oakwood and Donlis. Preferably in that order.

All the while we are posing as a new branch of the rebellion.At first, a welcome assist. By the end, the superior force that allows them to join with us.

Than we can attack the royalists on three fronts. They'll be forced to dance with the Reptiles in the desert (a fourth front?) or submit to us.

One step at a time, unconventional tactics, weapons and warriors. We'll chew through them all and sit in the throne ourselves.

No one need even know it was us leading the new rebellion until the final push.
LMAO i love it!
Old 07-16-2011, 06:25 AM   #108
Epic Kobold

Yes, it's from Wiki, but it works:

In China, the Maoist Theory of People's War divides warfare into three phases.

In Phase One, the guerrillas earn population's support by distributing propaganda and attacking the organs of government.
In Phase Two, escalating attacks are launched against the government's military forces and vital institutions.
In Phase Three, conventional warfare and fighting are used to seize cities, overthrow the government, and assume control of the country.

Mao's doctrine anticipated that circumstances may require shifting between phases in either directions and that the phases may not be uniform and evenly paced throughout the countryside. Mao Zedong's seminal work, On Guerrilla Warfare, has been widely distributed and applied most successfully in Vietnam, by military leader and theorist Vo Nguyen Giap, whose "Peoples War, Peoples Army" closely follows the Maoist three-phase approach, but emphasizing flexibility in shifting between guerrilla warfare and a spontaneous "General Uprising" of the population in conjunction with guerrilla forces. Some authors have stressed this interchangeability of phases inherent in this model and guerrilla warfare more generally, especially as applied by the North Vietnamese guerrilla
Old 07-16-2011, 06:48 AM   #109
Grey_Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic Kobold View Post
Yes, it's from Wiki, but it works:

In China, the Maoist Theory of People's War divides warfare into three phases.

In Phase One, the guerrillas earn population's support by distributing propaganda and attacking the organs of government.
In Phase Two, escalating attacks are launched against the government's military forces and vital institutions.
In Phase Three, conventional warfare and fighting are used to seize cities, overthrow the government, and assume control of the country.
hehe I was going to say that i would love for Godfrey to become a sort of Napoleon figure in Caithness, ie the great general who can't be beaten (he already has strategy 15 which is pretty good from my understanding, the King only has 11 by what the book says), and i was going to suggest that perhaps we mix the two so we could switch between guerrilla style and open warfare style, I would specialize Godfrey in the open warfare aspect and Grok and or others could become the masters of guerrilla tactics. but the above sums it up pretty nicely =)

phase 1. it would be easy to gain the support of the people due to the length of the civil war, also we could play on the fact that Godfrey comes from "the common stock", and amp up fears about looming enemies. we could then go and liberate and incorporate the southern cities gaining more popular support, demonstrating strength, and gaining new resources
phase 2. we use stealth and guerrilla tactics on both sides under the banner of the other and weaken both, constantly drawing the two sides into conflict
phase 3. we declare that we are ending the war by attacking waging all out war against both sides in their weakened states

lol needs some work, but the basic framework looks nice hehe =)

Last edited by Grey_Fox; 07-16-2011 at 06:57 AM.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:18 AM   #110
zoncxs

which side did we choose again?
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
banestorm, caithness, civil war, mass combat, yrth