Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-20-2017, 04:36 PM   #11
Phil Masters

Default Re: Discworld Characters from the Novels

Cohen the Barbarian
430 points
See p. 346 for Cohen's story. He was semi-literate (he could read a little, but barely sign his own name), so the “How To Be A Hero” manuals were presumably ghost-written. He got on well enough with people who he wasn’t trying to rob or who don’t try telling him what to do; the other thing he spent his life doing was taking people as he found them. He had a good pragmatic understanding of humanity.

PCs might meet Cohen in adventures set before those last events, or perhaps meet the myth in some semi-literal sense. They should be extremely careful about crossing swords with him; the sensible ones might realise how he survived to this age. In his mortal days, he would usually join suitably heroic quests, although he would expect the largest share of the loot (and would certainly take it). He might also take short-term, interesting jobs for generous payment. Hiring him as a teacher wouldn’t be entirely pointless, but he was never exactly patient, and in truth, many of skills were unteachable instincts; he would likely to wander off after quicker profits very soon. Encountered in the realms of myth, he would have his own ideas about what he wanted to do, though he’d probably be amiable enough towards anyone else heroic enough to get to the same place.

ST 12 [20]; DX 15 [100]; IQ 12 [40]; HT 13 [30].
Damage 1d 1/1d+2; BL 29 lb; HP 12 [0]; Will 13 [5]; Per 14 [10]; FP 13 [0].
Basic Speed 7.00 [0]; Basic Move 7 [0]; Dodge 11; Parry 16 (Broadsword); Block 12.
5’9”; 110 lbs.

Social Background
TL: 3 [-5].
CF: Hublander Tribal [0]; Sto Plains/Uberwald [1].
Languages: Hublander Tribal (Native/None) [ 3]; Morporkian (Native/Broken) [4].

Advantages
Combat Reflexes* [12]; Danger Sense* [12]; Daredevil* [12]; Enhanced Parry 1 (All Parries) [10]; Extraordinary Luck* [24]; High Pain Threshold [10]; Immunity to Disease [10]; Indomitable [15]; Reputation +2 (“It’s HIM!” – In the Sto Plains/Circle Sea region) [5]; Serendipity 1* [12]; Temperature Tolerance 2 [2]; Unfazeable* [12].
Perks: Archaic Training 1 (Navigation (Land)); Archaic Training 2 (Traps); Blade-Proof Bare-Chestedness; Deep Sleeper; Longevity. [5]

Disadvantages
Appearance (Unattractive) [-4]; Berserk (15) [-5]; Code of Honour (Pirate’s) [-5]; Compulsive Barbarian Heroism (9) [-15]; Compulsive Carousing (15) [-2]; Compulsive Spending (12) [-5]; Odious Personal Habit -2 (Barbarian Heroism) [-10]; One Eye [-15]; Reputation -2 (Decades’ worth of trouble, from the Hub to Klatch; 10 or less) [-2]; Skinny [-5].
Quirks: Broad-Minded; Has a soft spot for stupid honourable heroism; Needs (and wears) false teeth; Occasional arthritic aches; Smokes recycled cigarette dog-ends. [-5]

Skills
Acrobatics (H) DX-2 [1]-13; Animal Handling (Equines) (A) IQ-1 [1]-11; Area Knowledge (The Disc) (E) IQ [1]-12; Axe/Mace (A) DX+1 [8]-16†; Bow (A) DX-1 [1]-14; Brawling (E) DX+3 [12]-18†; Broadsword (A) DX+15 [64]-30†; Camouflage (E) IQ+3 [8]-15; Climbing (A) DX-1 [1]-14; Detect Lies (H) Per-2 [1]-12; Fast-Draw (Knife) (E) DX [1]-16‡; Fast-Draw (Sword) (E) DX [1]-16‡; Fast-Talk (A) IQ+1 [4]-13; Filch (A) DX-1 [1]-14; First Aid/TL3 (E) IQ [1]-12; Fishing (E) Per [1]-14; Forced Entry (E) DX [1]-15; Hiking (A) HT-1 [1]-12; Holdout (A) IQ-1 [1]-11; Intimidation (A) Will [2]-13; Jumping (E) DX [1]-15; Knife (E) DX+1 [4]-16†; Knot-Tying (E) DX [1]-15; Leadership (A) IQ [2]-12; Naturalist (H) IQ-1 [2]-11; Navigation/TL2 (Land) (A) IQ [2]-12; Packing (A) IQ 1 [1]-11; Riding (Equines) (A) DX-1 [1]-14; Scrounging (E) Per [1]-14; Seamanship/TL3 (E) IQ [1]-12; Sex Appeal (Human) (A) HT-2 [2]-11§; Shield (E) DX+1 [4]-16†; Shouting at Foreigners (E) IQ [1]-12; Sling (H) DX-2 [1]-13; Soldier/TL3 (A) IQ-1 [1]-11; Spear (A) DX [4]-15†; Stealth (A) DX-1 [1]-14; Streetwise (A) IQ-1 [1]-11; Survival (Desert) (A) Per-1 [1]-13; Survival (Mountain) (A) Per-1 [1]-13; Survival (Woodlands) (A) Per-1 [1]-13; Swimming (E) HT [1]-13; Tactics (H) IQ [4]-12; Throwing (A) DX 1 [1]-14; Thrown Weapon (Axe/Mace) (E) DX [1]-15; Thrown Weapon (Knife) (E) DX [1]-15; Thrown Weapon (Spear) (E) DX [1]-15; Tracking (A) Per 1 [1]-13; Traps/TL3 (A) IQ [2]-12; Weather Sense (A) IQ-1 [1]-11.

* Barbarian Lifestyle gives 20% discount; see p. 58.
† Includes -1 from One Eye.
‡ Includes +1 from Combat Reflexes.
§ Includes -2 from Appearance.

Notes
This reflects Cohen as a lone wanderer; as Emperor Cohen, he was Status +8 with more levels of Multi-Millionaire than anyone would want to count. He may have acquired any number of practical skills over the decades, and he almost certainly knew a bit of a few more languages than are listed here. On the other hand, a lot of the time, he let his sword speak for him.

Remember that, if Cohen makes ranged attacks without Aiming, One Eye gives him 3 to skill.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.

Last edited by Phil Masters; 01-20-2017 at 04:46 PM.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:59 PM   #12
Kelly Pedersen

I wonder if Cohen shouldn't have at least a level or two of Charisma? He does seem to have a knack for dragging people into his things, even Rincewind, whose general cynicism is pretty high. And he was definitely the leader of the Silver Horde, rugged individuals to a man.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 04:34 AM   #13
Anders

In The Light Fantastic he has Bad Back, although that might have healed later.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:42 AM   #14
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
In The Light Fantastic he has Bad Back, although that might have healed later.
It never shows up after his first appearance. Apparently, that field-expedient treatment he received let him buy it off.

(And in fact, if you compare the descriptions of the disadvantage in the Basic Set and the Discworld RPG, you'll realise that I was fully cognisant of that scene.)
Old 01-21-2017, 06:07 AM   #15
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
Daredevil* [12];
Cohen should have more than one level of Daredevil, and he really, really needs multiple levels of Higher Purpose (Barbarian Hero?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supers page 27 Higher Purpose
This advantage can be leveled in the same way as Daredevil at the GM’s discretion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supers page 26 Daredevil
At the GM’s option this can be a leveled trait, with an upper limit suited to the feel of the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramid 5 page 9 Slayers and Higher Purpose
A slayer can also take up to three levels against the same group for a higher bonus; e.g., Higher Purpose 3 (Slay Undead) [15], for +3 vs. undead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramid 70 page 33 The Last Ninja
Ninja may have up to five levels of Higher Purpose (Avenge my fellows!) [5/level].
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramid 78 page 8
Higher Purpose. Use this to price a blanket +1 to a specific set of actions carried out in the name of a god; e.g., “Heal the sick” or “Spread the word.” Higher bonuses (+2, +3, or more) aren’t out of the question. Contrast this bonus – to all rolls for particular tasks, regardless of the skills used – with that for Talents, below. 5 points per +1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dungeon Fantasy 3 page 40
Anyone who masters a combat skill – that means skill 20+ – can buy Higher Purpose [5] to reflect this.
Every two combat skill levels past 20 allow another Higher Purpose (for 5 points more).
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 10:15 AM   #16
Phil Masters

Please note that these characters are being statted up under the Discworld RPG rules, not Basic-Set-plus-assorted-supplements.

(And I'd not allow "Being a barbarian hero" as a Higher Purpose in any game I ran.)
Old 01-21-2017, 11:21 AM   #17
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Please note that these characters are being statted up under the Discworld RPG rules, not Basic-Set-plus-assorted-supplements.
Allowing only one level of Daredevil and making no mention of Higher Purpose at all would seem to be a flaw in the Discworld RPG rules.

Quote:
(And I'd not allow "Being a barbarian hero" as a Higher Purpose in any game I ran.)
Well good for you. Can you offer any reasoning behind that? Properly defined and limited, there's no reason it would be unbalanced.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:53 AM   #18
Phil Masters

Higher Purpose grants a blanket bonus, dirt cheap. To justify that, it has to come with a substantial built-in limitation. Working for a specific and restrictive cause just about achieves that. "Acting like a slightly loud typical PC" doesn't.

Anyway, it isn't in the Discworld book. It's a marginal and abusable advantage that I quickly decided didn't merit the word count.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:00 PM   #19
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Higher Purpose grants a blanket bonus, dirt cheap. To justify that, it has to come with a substantial built-in limitation. Working for a specific and restrictive cause just about achieves that.

"Acting like a slightly loud typical PC" doesn't.
Did I ever suggest "Acting like a slightly loud typical PC" would qualify? If I didn't, I don't think you should be putting words in my mouth. I believe my words were "Properly defined and limited".

Quote:
Anyway, it isn't in the Discworld book.
I know that. I'm not going to criticize a book I haven't bought and paid for.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:39 PM   #20
Phil Masters

It's hard to see how "Barbarian Heroism" can ever be defined restrictively enough to meet the sternly restrictive criteria given for that advantage in the Basic Set. However hard a rulebook or a GM tried to control it, the interpretation would predictably fall back to "Loud Typical PC" with most players who I've encountered.

Though to be honest, the costing for those two advantages is a mess. Both basically give blanket +1 bonuses, but as written, Higher Purpose could be attached to a sane, thoughtful idealist (though they should really be a full-timer in their cause), and costs just 5 points. Daredevil, as written, requires acting like a suicidal loon (sorry, a +1 bonus is unlikely to keep you alive for long if you vault out of cover and charge a gang of thugs armed with automatic weapons, as per the Basic Set description) - and costs three times as much.

However, both are probably highly abusable if they can be taken multiple times. (Higher Purpose is just three times as abusable.) That, I assume, is why the Basic Set doesn't define them as levelled. Anyway, when I borrowed Daredevil from the Basic Set, I didn't argue with that.

Tags
discworld, discworld characters, discworld rpg, lady sybil, lady sybil ramkin, lady sybil vimes