Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-01-2015, 10:15 AM   #1
JCurwen3

Default [Powers] Help Building an Ability

A player wants his character to have the ability to make any one container at a time bottomless. It takes one minute for him to empower a new container, which automatically disempowers the last container.

Some examples: He empowers a hip flask of bourbon & never has to buy that brand of bourbon again (he can keep pouring it out forever out of the flask). He empowers his left pants pocket (which contains his keys & a $20), which automatically disempowers the hip flask or any other previously empowered container, & he can pull it out limitless copies of his keys & limitless $20s.

Not sure where to start.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:23 AM   #2
Celjabba

Default Re: [Powers] Help Building an Ability

snatcher, with creation and permanent if the created items persist after you reset the ability ?

Celjabba
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:24 AM   #3
Lia Valenth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
Not sure where to start.
I would start with Snatcher with Permanent, +300% and Accessibility (container required) ?-10%? [312]

EDIT: Whoops, forgot Creation, +100% [392]
Old 08-01-2015, 10:33 AM   #4
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.

Seems like a variant on Snatcher. Possibly Snatcher (Cosmic, No Roll Required, +100%; Creation, +100%; Permanent, +300%; Reduced Fatigue Cost 2, +40%; Reduced Time, Instant, +100%; Specialized, Only to Duplicate Carried Items, -60%*; Requires container, -5%) [540]

* Not sure about the value of that limitation.
Sam Baughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:57 AM   #5
Dingle

should you also have a requires preparation limitation?

This seems to be a situation where applying the enhancements and limitations separately would be a good idea to get a fairer price.
Dingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 11:06 AM   #6
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Organism View Post
Seems like a variant on Snatcher. Possibly Snatcher (Cosmic, No Roll Required, +100%; Creation, +100%; Permanent, +300%; Reduced Fatigue Cost 2, +40%; Reduced Time, Instant, +100%; Specialized, Only to Duplicate Carried Items, -60%*; Requires container, -5%) [540]

I should add that the container can be used by others. It can even be stolen from the owner & used by the thieves; but that isn't really a limitation because you can just empower a new container at any time you want (unless they lock you in a truly container-less prison cell).

I like the above build. But I want something to account for that minute that he needs to spend to "switch" to a different container. It can make a big difference in combat whether that's instant or requires a minute. For example, we wouldn't the character to be able to empower his container of arrows so that he has unlimited arrows, then empower a bag of spell components so he has unlimited #s of those, then empower a bag of healing medicine / magical potion so that they can freshen up, all in the course of a few seconds! Whatever the user wants to have ready in infinite supply in combat, with a minute to prepare a container it's best to empower the right container before battle ensues.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:19 AM   #7
Dingle

I don't think it should be enhanced to instant, as it still takes about a second to remove an item from a container.

Weakened without preparation (only the last item taken) 1 minute -10%
Old 08-01-2015, 11:41 AM   #8
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Organism View Post

I'd say it's dependent on the strictness of the GM. For my games it would be closer to 5 or 10% as I'm not likely to often limit what the PC 'can find in a container' (as with an Impulse expenditure and a Scavenging roll they could find almost anything) but in a far more strictly controlled game it would be worth more points.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:49 PM   #9
Dingle

I think it should be worth more than -30% as the set of things you have handy is incredibly smaller than the set of all things, even if you could extend it sometimes.

Not only can the ability not be used to replace an Impulse expenditure and a Scavenging roll, it now actually requires one instead.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:14 PM   #10
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingle View Post
I think it should be worth more than -30% as the set of things you have handy is incredibly smaller than the set of all things, even if you could extend it sometimes.

Not only can the ability not be used to replace an Impulse expenditure and a Scavenging roll, it now actually requires one instead.
Exactly. In order to make a lot of something, you need a container & at least 1 of the thing you want to make.

Tags
ability, bottomless, powers