Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 04-08-2016, 07:17 AM   #1
clinkz

Default Super munchkin's abilities

Hello guys,

Super munchkin can allow a player to use two different classes at the same time or to use only one with all its advantages.
I'm a little confused about having all its advantages from super munchkin, so we can equip forbidden items to our class and items which are usable only by another class ? Besides, we can do penalties to monsters have bonuses against our class, like we're super wizard and fight against Platycore level 6 which has +6 against wizards so does it's got the penalty and become level-0 monster ?

And one more thing from the rule, "the monster get no bonuses because of your class (super munchkin class)" what does it mean ? Does it mean no one can add bonuses to the monster fighting against super class ?

Thank you
clinkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:34 AM   #2
Brf

Default Re: Super munchkin's abilities

If you have Super Munchkin with only one class, then you get all of that class's advantages, but not its penalties.

You could equip an item which is forbidden to your class, but still not equip an item that can only be used by another class. For instance, your Super Wizard could use an item which says it cannot be used by Wizards, but could still not use an item which says it can only be used by Thieves.

In the case of a monster with a bonus, the monster would not get its bonus, so the Level 6 Platycore would not get its +6 bonus vs the Super Wizard, and thus have only its combat strength of 6. It could still use any other bonuses, as long as they did not specify they were against a Wizard.
Brf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:53 AM   #3
clinkz

Well, I see your points, but the rule said: "monster with penalties against that super class suffer those penalties" so I think Platycore gets combat strength down to 0

And another thing rule said: "the ability to equip class-only item", and again I think super class can equip items which are usable "only" by another class.

Can you make it more clearer for me, Thanks.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:30 AM   #4
Brf

But the +6 for the Platycore against the Wizard is not a penalty. It is a bonus. The monster would not get that bonus vs a Super Wizard. It would not turn into a penalty.

A Super Munchkin cannot use an item which specifies it can only be used by a different class. It specifies that it is allowed to use an item which would normally be forbidden to its class, not one which is usable only to another class.
Brf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:56 AM   #5
clinkz

By the way can we change from being super wizard to playing both wizard and dwarf ? Then somehow lose one of them and switch back to one super class ?

Thanks again.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:12 AM   #6
MunchkinMan

Unless my reading comprehension is failing me, Brf has stated everything correctly. However, I'm going to sum up: In the case of a Super Class character, that character can use any Item that Class can use (Items without restrictions and "Usable by <Class> only" Items), as well as Items specifically forbidden to that Class (i.e., "Not usable by <Class>"); a Monster that has a bonus against a a Class will not get it against someone with a Super version of that Class; a Monster that gets a penalty when facing a Class will still get a penalty from someone with a Super version of that Class.

So, sticking with the Wizard, I'll layout some examples. A Super Wizard can use the following Items: Pointy Hat of Power (Wizard only), Staff of Napalm (Wizard only), Slimy Armor (no restriction), Pantyhose of Giant Strength (not usable by Warrior, so a normal Wizard could use it), and Mithril Armor (not usable by Wizard). A Super Wizard could not use Mace of Sharpness (usable by Cleric only) or Boomdagger (usable by Thief only). When it comes to Monsters, the Platycore will have a combat strength of 6, not 12, against a Super Wizard, Harpies a combat strength of 4 instead of 9, while the Monster the GM Made Up Himself (found in Munchkin 2: Unnatural Axe) would have a combat strength of 4 instead of 7 (it has a penalty against Wizards).
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:30 AM   #7
clinkz

Thank you guys,

I can see it clear now.

Tags
ability, rule, super munchkin