Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 03-31-2021, 09:52 PM   #1
hcobb

Default Armor and high IQ spellcasters

How exactly does leather armor hinder the spell casting gestures of a wizard with a high enough IQ that being tied up with rope doesn't hinder him from casting spells that require no motion at all?

Last edited by hcobb; 03-31-2021 at 09:58 PM.
hcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 05:19 AM   #2
tomc

Default Re: Armor and high IQ spellcasters

It's reasonable to say it doesn't. If a wizard has a sufficiently high IQ that she can cast the spell without gestures (speaking only?) Then armor doesn't affect their DX.

But... it's yet another thing to keep track of. It will further complicate everyone's munchkinly character optimization spreadsheets, and it's yet another step
away from "game" territory and into "simulation ".

At some point you have to put away the slide rule and pick up the dice.

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 06:02 AM   #3
phiwum

Right.

It's also just another advantage for high IQ spellcasters who already have rather significant advantages as it is. Sometimes, it's reasonable to sacrifice realism for gameplay.

Henry, I suppose if you're keen on a world where puny goblin witches run everything, then houseruling that there's no DX penalty for armor when casting a spell without gestures is a good step in that direction. It will only be a short while before they all have silver fine plate.

Last edited by phiwum; 04-01-2021 at 06:48 AM.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 07:07 AM   #4
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
How exactly does leather armor hinder the spell casting gestures of a wizard with a high enough IQ that being tied up with rope doesn't hinder him from casting spells that require no motion at all?
Thinking about this, why doesn't it reduce effective IQ for spell casting as well as DX? I.e. You can only use spells at your IQ - 4 and below...
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 07:20 AM   #5
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Btw, are you talking about the -4DX for iron or steel armor in the "Iron, Silver, and Magic section"? I thought the problem was that iron and steel interfere with magic, not that there was any problem with range of motion. I seem to remember some rules about hindering gestures from AD&D, though.
Old 04-01-2021, 08:55 AM   #6
larsdangly

The cognitive dissonance runs deeper than the OP's leather armor question; we should wonder why a high IQ caster rolls vs. DX at all if they can cast low IQ spells without moving a muscle.

But I agree that the answer is 'because that is how the game works; now stop nagging me for extra munchkin privileges and just roll the stupid dice'
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 09:00 AM   #7
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
Btw, are you talking about the -4DX for iron or steel armor in the "Iron, Silver, and Magic section"? I thought the problem was that iron and steel interfere with magic, not that there was any problem with range of motion. I seem to remember some rules about hindering gestures from AD&D, though.
No, I mean the -2 DX from wearing leather armor.

The only justification I can see goes like this:

Player: "I cast a spell without moving at all so I can ignore the -2 DX for my armor!"

GM: "Your character will stand perfectly still in the middle of a combat? Okay, +4 DX for everybody to hit the unresponding wizard."

Outside of combat with time to spare the wizard can spare a few minutes to take off his armor of course.

Which is why the most common subject of the armor enchantment spell is those so soft silken robes.
Old 04-01-2021, 12:49 PM   #8
larsdangly

I want a pair of pajamas with both Diamond Flesh and +5 armoring enchantment cast on them so I can show up to a duel looking like I just rolled out of bed and have my opponent's greatsword break over my shoulder.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 01:12 PM   #9
Shostak

The TFT Dude abides.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 01:29 PM   #10
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
I want a pair of pajamas with both Diamond Flesh and +5 armoring enchantment cast on them so I can show up to a duel looking like I just rolled out of bed and have my opponent's greatsword break over my shoulder.
You could probably get a good sleep on a bad mattress with those...