Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-13-2010, 11:07 PM   #41
Muaadeeb

Default Re: Average Star Wars TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Since nobody identifiably survived getting shot by a blaster that wasn't set on stun, that's hard to assess.

This is so completely not true....see link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym-xHehd4NI
Muaadeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:55 AM   #42
Astromancer

Quote:
So no, the technology of the Empire has not declined. The infrastructure and wealth have.
This would be one of the ways in which the Empire in STAR WARS would be like the real Roman Empire. There's clear proof that technology advanced in the later Imperial period and the so called Dark Ages. Earlier, the Roman elites simply weren't interested in innovation, as Rome fell, innovation reasserted itself.

The Jedi, being mystic twits, probably fully intended to stagnate the Republic's technology. The Empire could be useing innovations long suppressed by the Jedi. In fact, the emergence of long forbiden technologies and sciences could be a major plot point in a STAR WARS campaign. The Empire could unleash a wild card it didn't fully understand.

Psi Powers for all, anyone?

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:59 AM   #43
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuedodeuS View Post
Most analyses I've seen of that determine she was actually hit by either ricochet or shrapnel from the blaster actually hitting the wall behind her. As for bleeding, I think tight beam burning is supposed to cauterize any wounds.
If the blaster uses an energy beam, or is a mixture of energy and mass, getting grazed by a blast would be like having a nasty electrical shock. The Princess' clothing might have been scorched, but the lady herself could be simply incapassitated for a while.

Ancora Imparo
Old 01-14-2010, 06:01 AM   #44
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonft View Post
Just a thought: What if technology has stagnated (and even backslid a little) because in that universe they have hit the limits of technology? Thus, barring some miraculous breakthrough, they have long since realized they *can't* advance their technology.

The effects of this on the society in general might well explain many of the symptoms of decay argued about in this thread. Especially if the top TLs are exponentially more expensive to build and maintain.

Limited and very useful things (like droid brains) would be quite common, and if you have the resources of a galactic level fascist state that really wants one ultimate weapon you can build the Death Star - but the average citizen can't afford anything from the top two or even three TLs so they just don't appear in the movies.
This seems consistant and logical. Why didn't Lucas have you write Phantom Menace?

Ancora Imparo
Old 01-14-2010, 08:29 AM   #45
Jasonft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
This seems consistant and logical. Why didn't Lucas have you write Phantom Menace?
Because I would have kicked him in the privates for what he did to the series over the years.
Jasonft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:09 AM   #46
Phaelen Bleux
World Traveler in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Incidentally, this and even full contragravity are TL10^ technologies now.
Which, for me, getting back to the idea of the OP (although I have enjoyed the rest of the ideas about what happened to the technology), sort of makes me want to have TL10 "personal tech" (medicine, weapons, etc.), but TL11 starships and space travel.

My main reason for keeping personal tech (read: what the PCs can get ahold of and use) lower would be to keep the gritty feel of the original triology; perhaps if I was running an Old Republic campaign (*gag*) I might use TL11 overall.

http://aerodrome.hamish.tripod.com
Phaelen Bleux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:19 AM   #47
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaelen Bleux View Post
Which, for me, getting back to the idea of the OP (although I have enjoyed the rest of the ideas about what happened to the technology), sort of makes me want to have TL10 "personal tech" (medicine, weapons, etc.), but TL11 starships and space travel.

My main reason for keeping personal tech (read: what the PCs can get ahold of and use) lower would be to keep the gritty feel of the original triology; perhaps if I was running an Old Republic campaign (*gag*) I might use TL11 overall.
No, blasters (with stun setting or omniblasters) are TL11. Considering their commoness and the rarity of signature TL10 or lower weapons I think you should be going with TL11^ as your base.

There doesn't really seem to be a difference between "shiny new stuff" based on location so much as time period and location. It's just second-hand TL11^ stuff on Tatooine. The fact that TL11^ stuff has diffused into the second-hand market would indicate to me that it was universal.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:54 AM   #48
Phaelen Bleux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
No, blasters (with stun setting or omniblasters) are TL11.
Does everybody have the stun setting, or just a certain squad of stormtroopers on the Tantive IV trying to take prisoners? I'd have to say that in the movies, the blasters don't seem that multifuctional. Plain old blasters could be as low as TL9 (3e) I believe.

Or, for that matter, were those stormtroopers armed with stunners specifically, based on their mission parameters.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:25 AM   #49
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaelen Bleux View Post
Does everybody have the stun setting, or just a certain squad of stormtroopers on the Tantive IV trying to take prisoners? I'd have to say that in the movies, the blasters don't seem that multifuctional. Plain old blasters could be as low as TL9 (3e) I believe.

Or, for that matter, were those stormtroopers armed with stunners specifically, based on their mission parameters.
Dialog said "set blasters on stun" meaning they were also blasters. It is likely though that blasters with a stun setting aren't standard storm trooper issue since they'd cost more. And really if you wanted third edition answers you should have said so up front.

In the current edition Star Wars clocks in at a consistent TL 11^, apart from all the magic pixie dust (nanotechnology) applications being omitted, and a lack of radical genetic engineering. I get the distinct impression that genetic engineering is in fact suppressed in the Republic since the genetically tweaked clone troopers came from a world that was not within Republic space.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:47 AM   #50
Phaelen Bleux

Quote:
Dialog said "set blasters on stun" meaning they were also blasters.
Actually, I believe he says: "There's one, set for stun" and does not acknowledge the nature of the weapon.

Edit: Nevermind. Vader says "Set your blaster for stun."

Quote:
And really if you wanted third edition answers you should have said so up front.
No, I don't; I was only clarifying my frame of reference.

Last edited by Phaelen Bleux; 01-14-2010 at 11:01 AM.

Tags
star wars