Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-13-2010, 07:07 AM   #21
Phaelen Bleux
World Traveler in Training

Default Re: Average Star Wars TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Wouldn't "repulsorlift" be a pressor beam? Certainly the speeders wouldn't be what GURPS refers to as contragravity given their height ceiling.
From the Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels:
"Repulsorlifts use power supplied by a fusion generator to create an antigravity field which repels against a planet's gravity."

Well, booger.

I thought I had just read that repulsorlift countered the effects of gravity on a vehicle, but I can no longer find that source. However, even if I did, 3 other West End Games books stated the above in the same way, creating a preponderance of evidence.

So, new question: Does such a technology exist in GURPS Vehicles?? Or do I hang my hat on the single word "antigravity" and still use contragrav?

http://aerodrome.hamish.tripod.com
Phaelen Bleux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:12 AM   #22
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaelen Bleux View Post
So, new question: Does such a technology exist in GURPS Vehicles?? Or do I hang my hat on the single word "antigravity" and still use contragrav?
Yep, it's in UltraTech for 4e on p.230 under Hover Bikes and Hover Platforms. It even uses the word "replusorlift". Basically they are the same as contragrav vehicles in performance except they have limited altitude.

Incidentally, this and even full contragravity are TL10^ technologies now. Your original post was very obviously using a 3e TL scale. There have been a number of important changes in the 4e TL scale.

I agree about the TL11^.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:19 AM   #23
MKMcArtor

Quote:
Obviously, in the new movies, holotransmissions happen across the galaxy all the time.
This brings up the possibility that technology actually got WORSE in the years between Ep3 and Ep4 (actually, there are other examples of tech seeming worse in the original trilogy than newer one), so then you must decide as the GM in which era you want to set the game.
MKMcArtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:43 AM   #24
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKMcArtor View Post
This brings up the possibility that technology actually got WORSE in the years between Ep3 and Ep4 (actually, there are other examples of tech seeming worse in the original trilogy than newer one), so then you must decide as the GM in which era you want to set the game.
It's more likely a case of infrastructure decline. FTL com does have limited range and we don't know how limited, but going outside the Republic could put you out of communications range. This suggests that the Republic may have a network of communication relay stations. After better than 20 years of civil war, such obvious strategic targets would have been hit hard, and of course the remaining relay stations might very well be limited to Imperial military use to keep the Rebellion from passing coded messages.

Note however that the whole plotline of the original Star Wars movie, actually depends upon an FTL communications device, one small enough not to be noticed, having been planted on the Millenium Falcon so that the Death Star can follow it through hyperspace. So no, the technology of the Empire has not declined. The infrastructure and wealth have.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:03 AM   #25
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:

Note however that the whole plotline of the original Star Wars movie, actually depends upon an FTL communications device, one small enough not to be noticed, having been planted on the Millenium Falcon so that the Death Star can follow it through hyperspace.
Correct. And it also depends on the Rebels not having access to that technology ... otherwise, the plans could have just been beamed directly to Yavin, without the need for Leia, Artoo, or anyone else to hand-deliver them. This nicely reinforces your point about the relay stations being available to Imperial military only.

(OK, Artoo has no hands, per se. You know what I mean.)

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:23 AM   #26
David Johnston2

Incidentally as far as the age of the Republic goes, that pretty much has to be the same kind of thing as the age of China. They probably have gone through many episodes of fragmentation and collapse, only to again and again have some power rise to galactic dominance, reunifying much old Republican territory (because it was all Republic territory once upon a time, or claimed to be) and not only would they announce that they, the one true Republic have recaptured their lost territory, but their history books might very well delete those embarrassing centuries from the record. We can assume this cycle produces a "retarded" rate of technological advance for all that time.

Last edited by David Johnston2; 01-13-2010 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:46 AM   #27
Phaelen Bleux

Quote:
It's more likely a case of infrastructure decline. FTL com does have limited range and we don't know how limited, but going outside the Republic could put you out of communications range. This suggests that the Republic may have a network of communication relay stations. After better than 20 years of civil war, such obvious strategic targets would have been hit hard, and of course the remaining relay stations might very well be limited to Imperial military use to keep the Rebellion from passing coded messages.

Note however that the whole plotline of the original Star Wars movie, actually depends upon an FTL communications device, one small enough not to be noticed, having been planted on the Millenium Falcon so that the Death Star can follow it through hyperspace. So no, the technology of the Empire has not declined. The infrastructure and wealth have.
And none of this takes into account that if you are an evil Empire (or any sort of repressive government) you do not WANT to have free communication and would suppress that technology.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:50 AM   #28
LostPassWord

Quote:
Since nobody identifiably survived getting shot by a blaster that wasn't set on stun, that's hard to assess.
Princess Leigha was shot by a blaster in Return of the Jedi.
LostPassWord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:50 AM   #29
Phaelen Bleux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Yep, it's in UltraTech for 4e on p.230 under Hover Bikes and Hover Platforms. It even uses the word "replusorlift". Basically they are the same as contragrav vehicles in performance except they have limited altitude.
Again, booger.

Quote:
original post was very obviously using a 3e TL scale.
That's me; behind the curve and loving it :]

Old 01-13-2010, 11:56 AM   #30
David Johnston2

Quote:
And none of this takes into account that if you are an evil Empire (or any sort of repressive government) you do not WANT to have free communication and would suppress that technology.
Except for the part where I said:

Quote:
and of course the remaining relay stations might very well be limited to Imperial military use to keep the Rebellion from passing coded messages.

Tags
star wars